By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Ocarina of Time still the greatest game, ever?

its the best zelda game ever and one of the top 5 greatest games ever made in my humble opinion.

1. LOST ODYSSEY

2. FINAL FANTASY VIII

for me ocarina of time ranks #3 in my top 5 all time great games.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Around the Network

It's good, don't get me wrong, but I don't really see why people think it's the best game of all time.

I'll admit I never completed the game, but what I played of it was quite repetitive, just in and out of dungeons all the time, after a while I just got sick of it. For a game which is often labelled as an RPG, Ocarina of Time doesn't really have the story, characters or world to make it the best game ever, let alone a great game.

While it is a good game, it just doesn't have the substance to boot.

brendude13 said:
It's good, don't get me wrong, but I don't really see why people think it's the best game of all time.

I'll admit I never completed the game, but what I played of it was quite repetitive, just in and out of dungeons all the time, after a while I just got sick of it. For a game which is often labelled as an RPG, Ocarina of Time doesn't really have the story, characters or world to make it the best game ever, let alone a great game.

I don't know who told you it's an RPG, but Nintendo itself labels it as action/adventure. I do agree with you on the rest though. I'll take a Link to the Past and Majora's mask any day.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

demonfox13 said:
brendude13 said:

I don't know who told you it's an RPG, but Nintendo itself labels it as action/adventure. I do agree with you on the rest though. I'll take a Link to the Past and Majora's mask any day.

That's what I would label it, I still think it needs the RPG aspects I mentioned though.

I played a little bit of Majora's mask, while the gameplay wasn't really my thing, the world seemed to be far more imaginitive.

deus ex is the best game.

It's the 3rd best game :D

Around the Network

I remember thinking that Zelda got kidnapped in Ocarina of Time but it actually didn't happen until just. before the very last dungeon (I just finished the boss fight before her kidnapping). Man, my memory of this game is fuzzy! I didn't remember half of the stuff I came across. I remember her helping in the final battle, too....

brendude13 said:
demonfox13 said:
brendude13 said:

That's what I would label it, I still think it needs the RPG aspects I mentioned though.

I played a little bit of Majora's mask, while the gameplay wasn't really my thing, the world seemed to be far more imaginitive.

On the second part I would say: EXACTLY! Gaming has evolved and some companies have done a good job, others have not. Pure focus on graphics to distract from the meat (gameplay) is plain stupid. The exception to this rule would be heavily story reliant games such as RPG's. Audio means alot to the game because it sets a tone for the given environment. For example, imagine a current graphics and sound engine of OOT when you first reawaken as older Link and see Hyrule Castle transformed. Imagine a Vortex in the sky creepy looking with purple, red and black mixed, lightning coming down, hearing thunder, wolves/lycans in the distance, owls, crows. Now THAT sets the tone and gives you a sense of "omg how long was I asleep and wtf happened?!?" Lets compare it to a current day action/adventure dungeon crawler loved by the masochists: Demon's Souls. It's a more similar game than people would think. Walking down the corridors constantly with your shield up, worried that someone my pop out and 1 shot you. The first time you cross that bridge in 1-2 only to be turned into a toasty steak by the red dragon, but before that you heard flapping wings getting closer and then a shriek followed by fire! People tend to forget that it is no longer ONLY about the gameplay, there are many more elements to a video game, but we constantly demand more and that is fine. But don't tell me OOT is the greatest game of all time when the flaws are there and it has aged with a recurring theme and no real changes to anything. Again why I praise Majora's Mask because the use of the Ocarina coupled by that 72 hour time limit you have to manipulate while worrying about everything else TRULY grants you a sense of urgency.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

I guess it would be crazy to assume that game design hasn't improved since 1998 but damn. Games have come and gone and OoT.....

*goes back to playing*

I wouldn't give it the greatest game of all time. Certainly in the top 10 but things has changed a lot since then. I would give it to Metal Gear Solid 4 personally. But for its time, it or 007 Goldeneye.

Last time I really thought about this I had Ocarina of Time as the second best game of all time. The best was Majora's mask.

I have not played it in quite some time though. I plan on picking it up for the 3DS at some point.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)