By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Ocarina of Time still the greatest game, ever?

Truly great game design does not age.

Ocarina of Time has truly great game design.

Around the Network
SqueakySamurai said:

Why do people think OOT is the best game of all time? Really, all I can think of is it's great level design and music. Don't get me wrong, I love OOT, but I think the best game of all time should have a great narrative and amazing characters. OOT is none of that. It's the same story as the other games, Zelda is kidnapped by Ganon and Link has to use the Triforce to defeat him and save the princess. I seriously don't care about what happens to the characters, for example, if Link died, I would be shocked that they did that, but I'm not in any way attached to him, besides just the good memories of playing the games. For me, the greatest game of ALL TIME has to have some sort of artistic value in the sense of morals or messages, not aesthetically. The greatest game of ALL TIME has to have fun game-play(duh), great music, well-developed characters that form a bond with the player, a good story, and some sort of artistic value.

For example, I think Metal Gear Solid is the best game of all time, because it has all of those attributes, mainly the character development and story, and OOT doesn't. MGS is the only form of media I have ever cried at, not even Toy Story 3, but OOT is just an extremely well designed game that is very fun and clever at the same time.

But I don't think people care, OOT is always going to be considered the best game of all time, no matter what, simply because of arrogance and shallowness in generally the whole gaming community, I'm not bashing on OOT or the fans AT ALL, I'm just trying to make a point here.

Just my opinion.

after all that and your best game is not an RPG. Some plot twist.

Well to me, to say the best game has to have a great story, is like saying the best movie has to have great special effects.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

cyberninja45 said:
SqueakySamurai said:

Why do people think OOT is the best game of all time? Really, all I can think of is it's great level design and music. Don't get me wrong, I love OOT, but I think the best game of all time should have a great narrative and amazing characters. OOT is none of that. It's the same story as the other games, Zelda is kidnapped by Ganon and Link has to use the Triforce to defeat him and save the princess. I seriously don't care about what happens to the characters, for example, if Link died, I would be shocked that they did that, but I'm not in any way attached to him, besides just the good memories of playing the games. For me, the greatest game of ALL TIME has to have some sort of artistic value in the sense of morals or messages, not aesthetically. The greatest game of ALL TIME has to have fun game-play(duh), great music, well-developed characters that form a bond with the player, a good story, and some sort of artistic value.

For example, I think Metal Gear Solid is the best game of all time, because it has all of those attributes, mainly the character development and story, and OOT doesn't. MGS is the only form of media I have ever cried at, not even Toy Story 3, but OOT is just an extremely well designed game that is very fun and clever at the same time.

But I don't think people care, OOT is always going to be considered the best game of all time, no matter what, simply because of arrogance and shallowness in generally the whole gaming community, I'm not bashing on OOT or the fans AT ALL, I'm just trying to make a point here.

Just my opinion.

Well to me, to say the best game have to have a great story, is the same as saying the best movie has to have great special effects.

to me,to say the best game has to have great GRAPHICS, is the same as saying the best movie has to have great special effects.

I do like RPGs though, It's just MGS has the gameplay thing down that Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, and Obvilion dont have as much.

I haven't played it since the N64 days and when I played it with updated graphics on the 3DS, I remembered why a lot of people thought this was the greatest game of all time, the basic game play still holds up extremely well even after all these years and they added some bonuses to it this time like master quest in the same package and gyro controls which works great as a combo to analog controls (the best way is use them together and not sticking to either one solely.) As to my greatest game ever, there is none, I play so many damn good games that it's hard to pick a best ever, though I can tell you my fav games in different genres. ^^b

d21lewis said:
I guess it would be crazy to assume that game design hasn't improved since 1998 but damn. Games have come and gone and OoT.....

*goes back to playing*

Another game I have seen be underrated is Darksiders. The game is truly brilliant. I played it on my best friend's 360 before it RROD'd (think it was falcon chip so no biggie, it's to be expected for that model). War being played by Liam O'Brien (Lezard Valeth in Valkyrie Profile 2, he was also in Tales, and he is Grimoire Weiss in Nier) was the icing on the cake for me. The story was pretty good and the apocolypse to me was properly portrayed. The gameplay is done very well, the environments are vast and full of life, boss battles are awesome, and Ruin is probably my favorite steed in just about any game. I cannot wait for Darksiders 2, War's brother, Death, looks amazing.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

Around the Network
SqueakySamurai said:
cyberninja45 said:
SqueakySamurai said:

Just my opinion.

Well to me, to say the best game have to have a great story, is the same as saying the best movie has to have great special effects.

to me,to say the best game has to have great GRAPHICS, is the same as saying the best movie has to have great special effects.

I do like RPGs though, It's just MGS has the gameplay thing down that Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, and Obvilion dont have as much.

Well the thing is, I have always felt that story is a separate aspect from the game, not really necessary no matter how interesting it is or well its written, . Kinda similar to how special effects in movie fells like a separate aspect just for eye candy. Take metal gear for instance, a piece of the game will involve stealthing guys in hallways yadiyadha, then u stop, watch a cutscene about snake discovering that hes a clone or whatever, then after  u get back to the game stealthing guys again. Two seperate experiences not really affecting each other. So if you were to take the story/cutscenes out(skip them), u can play the game just fine.  This is true for almost all games.

There is only one franchise I can think of( or I've played) where the story is an integral part of the game,(meaning that if you dont follow the story, you will lose at the game), and thats the Ace attorney games.

Graphics is always integral part of the game obviously(you have to see the game to play after all), hence the term VIDEOgames.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

SqueakySamurai said:

It's the same story as the other games, Zelda is kidnapped by Ganon and Link has to use the Triforce to defeat him and save the princess.

Just my opinion.

Actually, that's not the story of OOT. :)

d21lewis said:
I guess it would be crazy to assume that game design hasn't improved since 1998 but damn. Games have come and gone and OoT.....

*goes back to playing*

I think it has a lot to do with the refined control scheme. The second(touch) screen makes inventory management and switching active equipment easy. The graphics is easier to the eyes with added 3D helps a lot, too.

cyberninja45 said:
SqueakySamurai said:
cyberninja45 said:
SqueakySamurai said:

Just my opinion.

Well the thing is, I have always felt that story is a separate aspect from the game, not really necessary no matter how interesting its is or well its written, . Kinda similar to how special effects in movie fells like a separate aspect just for eye candy. Take metal gear for instance, a piece of the game will involve stealthing guys in hallways yadiyadha, then u stop, watch a cutscene about snake finding out hes a clone or whatever, then after get back to the game stealthing guys again. Two seperate experiences not really affecting each other. So if you were to take out the story/cutscenes out, u can play the game just fine. This is true for almost all games.

There is only one franchise I can think of( or I've played) where the story is an integral part of the game,(meaning that if you dont know whats going own in the story, you will lose at the game), thats the Ace attorney games.

Graphics is always integral part of the game obviously, hence the term VIDEOgames.

Actually you forgot to add to that list just about any RPG, then you have Heavy Rain, ME as the choices affect everything that goes on, then you have a sandbox like InFamous where your choices not only affect story but also gameplay and in turn the ending you get, then you have Farenheit (Indigo Prophecy), KOTOR 1 and 2, etc. When story ties into gameplay and affects outcomes, then the story becomes just as important as gameplay. Mario does not need story, nor does most of the Zelda games, nor any FPS, etc. Depending on the game, story can add to an immersive experience or just be tacked on such as "thnx dude, but that chick you are trying to save is in some other castle."

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

Galaki said:
SqueakySamurai said:

It's the same story as the other games, Zelda is kidnapped by Ganon and Link has to use the Triforce to defeat him and save the princess.

Just my opinion.

Actually, that's not the story of OOT. :)

Yea you are right he kinda messed up, Princess Zelda is in fact.....I don't need to tell you. Lets just say some of that Ocarina music I played with the yellow buttons on the N64 made things enjoyable hehe. Still though Majora's Mask had it done better even including the opening.