By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Ocarina of Time still the greatest game, ever?

Galaki said:
SqueakySamurai said:

It's the same story as the other games, Zelda is kidnapped by Ganon and Link has to use the Triforce to defeat him and save the princess.

Just my opinion.

Actually, that's not the story of OOT. :)

More or less

Around the Network
SqueakySamurai said:
Galaki said:
SqueakySamurai said:

It's the same story as the other games, Zelda is kidnapped by Ganon and Link has to use the Triforce to defeat him and save the princess.

Just my opinion.

More or less

Zelda was not kidnapped and the Triforce isn't even in the game to use. The closest to using the triforce is just the symbol on the ground for Link to play Zelda's lullaby.

I like to call it "one of the best games of all time."

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

It's easily one of the greatest games of all time IMO, but not the best. That title IMO goes to Zelda WW followed by Final Fantasy VI.

if it's ever, it cannot not be still...

but to the point. I love zelda...but I'm somewhat objective on OOT as I prefer 2D ones.

Camera was great in an era plagued with problems... heck there are still camera problems to this day.
Graphics were great and the 3DS version is improved... the toon aspect of these makes them ageless anyways so even in 20 years the game will remain playable.
Controls are great, though the 3Ds is less comfortable than the 64 pad.
Story is great. Simple for all to understand, yet complex if you look deeper into it.
Design is great, as for all Zelda, the core of the game are the dungeons and how you use your gear, this can't age.
Sound is great, though there I am biased (or am I?).

Really I don't see what is to complain about the game... oh yeah it's a "remake"/port... ok sure I hate these... but that doesn't in any way make the game any less perfect.

now... are there other games i'd call perfect... yes, it's Zelda, Zelda alttp and Super Metroid.... Yet my favorite games of all time are the imperfect FFVI (there's surely something to complain about the battle system and random enemy encounters), Chrono Trigger (errrr dunno what is imperfect here, it was made by a dream team ffs!) and Secret of mana (had some glitches? SD3 never got ported (big flaw!)).

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network
Galaki said:
SqueakySamurai said:
Galaki said:
SqueakySamurai said:

Just my opinion.

More or less

Zelda was not kidnapped and the Triforce isn't even in the game to use. The closest to using the triforce is just the symbol on the ground for Link to play Zelda's lullaby.

Seems like squeaky is a real expert on OOT. Better listen to his opinion.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

To me, Ocarina of Time was the closest we've ever been to seeing the perfect game. Nothing since then has been as close to perfection as it was. Therefore, it most certainly still is the greatest game ever made.

VGChartz

RolStoppable said:
Was it really the best game of all time in the first place? That would have required it to beat Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Metroid or its own predecessor A Link to the Past which all were games equally or closer to perfection. 

"Less flawed" and "better" are not the same thing. Legend of Zelda is less flawed than Link to the Past, but LttP is the better game; ditto Super Mario Bros. and 3.

RolStoppable said:
Khuutra said:
RolStoppable said:
Was it really the best game of all time in the first place? That would have required it to beat Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Metroid or its own predecessor A Link to the Past which all were games equally or closer to perfection. 

"Less flawed" and "better" are not the same thing. Legend of Zelda is less flawed than Link to the Past, but LttP is the better game; ditto Super Mario Bros. and 3.

How is The Legend of Zelda less flawed than ALttP? You need to explain this, otherwise I won't be able to grasp what you are trying to say.

Okay but before I do this: are you ready to have a discussion about semantics?

It never was.

Above: still the best game of the year.