By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumour: Iwata takes 50% Salary Cut due to 3DS

Xen said:
Conegamer said:
RolStoppable said:
Conegamer said:
That's nice. Stops them laying people off, I suppose...

...but is the 3DS really doing THAT bad? Or is this an over-reaction?

If anything, it is an underreaction.

Now come on Rol, it's the end of the generation. We all know Ninty is in trouble now, but in a few years time it won't be. The 3DS is great, just needs some games. And we know nothing really about the WiiU, so just wait and hope they'll do the right thing, OK?

Even if the 3DS explodes eventually, in the next few years they will release the Wii U, which will dig them in deep in the trenches. Real deep.

They are stemming far away from their DS/Wii successful and smart directions into an unknown that will prove them wrong. If third parties didn't support them at their absolute peak on the Wii, will they support the U with anything but PS360 ports and the very rare exclusive? Probably not. Power was not an issue, look at how the DS was supported... they, along with your teen/young adult "hardcore" gamers, don't want to see Nintendo home consoles, pure and simple.

Iwata & co. will run their good efforts into the ground, very soon.

Tell me when Nintendo said, ' Wii U is for the 'hardcore' gamer only. It is the only market we are going for.'

I specifically remember them saying at E3 that the console was to appeal to all demographics.

Just because Nintendo were successful with Wii, it means repeating it will guarantee them success? Nothing in the market has changed between then and now?

Most gamers don't identify themselves as 'hardcore' and just want a console that offers what they want, pure and simple. They will go to any new console that offers it at the most affordable price, which is why Sony lost so many customers to 360 with PS3. Most gamers aren't rabid fanboys who pledge their lives and wallets to one company.

Around the Network
Play4Fun said:
Xen said:
Conegamer said:
RolStoppable said:
Conegamer said:

Now come on Rol, it's the end of the generation. We all know Ninty is in trouble now, but in a few years time it won't be. The 3DS is great, just needs some games. And we know nothing really about the WiiU, so just wait and hope they'll do the right thing, OK?

Even if the 3DS explodes eventually, in the next few years they will release the Wii U, which will dig them in deep in the trenches. Real deep.

They are stemming far away from their DS/Wii successful and smart directions into an unknown that will prove them wrong. If third parties didn't support them at their absolute peak on the Wii, will they support the U with anything but PS360 ports and the very rare exclusive? Probably not. Power was not an issue, look at how the DS was supported... they, along with your teen/young adult "hardcore" gamers, don't want to see Nintendo home consoles, pure and simple.

Tell me when Nintendo said, ' Wii U is for the 'hardcore' gamer only. It is the only market we are going for.'

I specifically remember them saying at E3 that the console was to appeal to all demographics.

Just because Nintendo were successful with Wii, it means repeating it will guarantee them success? Nothing in the market has changed between then and now?

Most gamers don't identify themselves as 'hardcore' and just want a console that offers what they want, pure and simple. They will go to any new console that offers it at the most affordable price, which is why Sony lost so many customers to 360 with PS3. Most gamers aren't rabid fanboys who pledge their lives and wallets to one company.

Italics: They didn't, but that's how all their recent moves come off as. Release powerful console, get some PS360 multiplats, get third parties onboard and so on... not that there's anything wrong with any of these generally, but the companies should adapt to them and not vice versa. Finally, with that, they're shifting from innovative to... yes, the same as everyone else. The tablet is not enough to differentiate them from PS360. Any and every time they tried direct competition in the post SNES era, they got thrashed. (talking consoles)

Bold: As such, they will go for PS3 or 360. And for the best audio/visual perfomance, PC. And while many gamers that age don't identify themselves as hardcore, many do. Even more dislike Nintendo and see it as nothing but kiddy. PS360 will keep the WiiU down until the PS4 and Nextbox eclipse it.

So he looses 50% + bonuses? Ouch
How much did he win in the first place?

I do agree that Nintendo need to spice things up... The pricecut will be one point overturned for the 3DS, and i believe it will rise number to at least half decent numbers. That said Mk and SM3D can't come fast enough. And they've yet to have a Brain Training or Nintendogs of its own, i think that point should be addressed

Hilarious stuff, MS and Sony broke their backs trying to put out a quality system that didnt rely on gimmicks to sell. Its finally paying off, Nintendo cant steal sales from where they deserve to be.

Around the Network
Xen said:
Conegamer said:
RolStoppable said:
Conegamer said:

That is my issue, and I really hope it doesn't just go down the PS360 route. Release Wii Sports, Play etc. (which have been trademarked, so it's almost certain to happen), as well as HD Zelda, Mario, Metroid etc., and also the 3rd party support (which it looks like), AT LAUNCH with a price of $200-$300. Then we're on a winner.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Yall on vgchartz are more naive than I thought. $170 probably was the original planned price for the 3ds. So do u guys realize what Nintendo have just done?
THEY HAVE JUST FORCED 4 MILLION+ PEOPLE TO BUY $80 worth IN DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT!!!!
and at the same time now 3ds looks like a steal, and Sony is now caught off-guard. They are true financial geniuses.
All this talk of losing money(which provides great cover/misdirection BTW) are totally natural for whats going on with the R&D for a freaking new console. Which is totally unrelated to the 3ds, they are in no trouble whatsoever.. (um they cant lose money on something that sells at $80+-? profit).
And all this salary cut BS is just an act.

And the beauty of all this? U cant dare bring this 'speculation 'up without sounding like a loony fanboy HAHAHAHAHAHA

*sigh*

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

This thread was posted first, but the other one contains a confirmed news story and more information.

Locking this one. Continue any discussions here:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=132239

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Seece said:

gibbogame David Gibson
Iwata taking responsibility for 3ds,, taking 50% salary cut and other execs 30% cut, reduced bonuses too
53 minutes ago

http://twitter.com/#!/gibbogame

Shareholders meeting

Oh my, he fixed his moolah printers when they didn't need it and they broke!   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Iwata has the weight of Nintendo on his shoulders. He thinks like a company that is trying to survive the times and I like that. It's not like he don't have money, because I know he gets a great salary. I'll bet nobody from Sony or Microsoft will ever take a pay cut if their console or handheld wasn't on track with sales.