By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumour: Iwata takes 50% Salary Cut due to 3DS

gibbogame David Gibson
Iwata taking responsibility for 3ds,, taking 50% salary cut and other execs 30% cut, reduced bonuses too
53 minutes ago

http://twitter.com/#!/gibbogame

Shareholders meeting

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
That's not a high enough price to pay. I would have prefered it, if he kept his money and announced New Super Mario Bros. 3DS along with some other true Nintendo games instead, as a sign of capitulation. Plus, Wii U being entirely reconsidered.

Oh, you hate WiiU itself? I think it's not a bad move personally, just the direction they're taking it in .... is stupid.

the stars have aligned against Nintendo cause they show'd there arrogance once again.

nice to see responsibility taken for there failures as of late.

It's always nice to see executives take the hit when they mess up. It remains to be seen if they have learned from it though.

RolStoppable said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
the stars have aligned against Nintendo cause they show'd there arrogance once again.

nice to see responsibility taken for there failures as of late.

That's not taking responsibility, that's saving your jobs. If you run a company into the ground, then getting 50 % less paid is still much better than getting fired and not paid at all. This is a move that ultimately doesn't help consumers at all.

is that better?

Around the Network

- Business is shifting towards 3rd party reliance, want to strengthen
- For gamecube missed price cut opportunity and this influenced 3ds decision to cut price, cash balance enables decision to cut price
- We are already running, will see impact by year end, doesn't mean doing nothing untl year end
- 3D alone won't provide full satisfaction, other features important
- Wiiu is not limited to tv, is multiscreen and believe it is dramatic change from wii, believe tvs will be online and connect to smartphones
- No share buy-back as short term, focused on long term, shareholder return comes from improving 3ds by year end
- Need to be more flexible and work with other platforms and use them. Hardware+soft brings value
- No intention to sell ip on other platforms, but need to take advantage of other platforms they don't have to increase the value of software
- Not concerned about people getting tiredness from 3d, will be doing software that is not 3ds focus, perhaps digital side
- For 3ds and wiiu we are strongly aiming on digital side
- Digital is where we are yet to expand and where we are aiming for, been doing trial and error so far
- Plan very soon to announce strategy for combination of digital and packaged and synergy between the two
- Original DS at 15000yen was not profitable and 3ds is further unprofitable, as volume expands cost down effect
- On price cut large us retailer told them "feel like christmas is already here"
- Needs to deliver game experience what mobile phones cannot offer
- Aim is to combine social and real networks, synergise and maximise, aiming for new software this fy and next
-Said has no conclusion yet on sns impact, claimed no correllation between sns growing and nint sales down
- Aim to recover trust by 3ds recovery, no slides or presentation, into q&a now with first question on sns impact from fido
- Iwata taking responsibility for 3ds,, taking 50% salary cut and other execs 30% cut, reduced bonuses too
- Retailers decide over summer for xmas, developers won't then reduce plans for next y
- Price cut now because 1) so install base higher ahead of own title launches and hence success 2) message to developers and retailers
- 3ds line-up for third party doesn't show MGS which is surprising, not sure if it was on list, could be a delay

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=157740&sid=572d219e6f5bc85a8925f0163c6a87dd

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

I wish this happened in more companies.

trestres said:
- Business is shifting towards 3rd party reliance, want to strengthen
- For gamecube missed price cut opportunity and this influenced 3ds decision to cut price, cash balance enables decision to cut price
- We are already running, will see impact by year end, doesn't mean doing nothing untl year end
- 3D alone won't provide full satisfaction, other features important
- Wiiu is not limited to tv, is multiscreen and believe it is dramatic change from wii, believe tvs will be online and connect to smartphones
- No share buy-back as short term, focused on long term, shareholder return comes from improving 3ds by year end
- Need to be more flexible and work with other platforms and use them. Hardware+soft brings value
- No intention to sell ip on other platforms, but need to take advantage of other platforms they don't have to increase the value of software
- Not concerned about people getting tiredness from 3d, will be doing software that is not 3ds focus, perhaps digital side
- For 3ds and wiiu we are strongly aiming on digital side
- Digital is where we are yet to expand and where we are aiming for, been doing trial and error so far
- Plan very soon to announce strategy for combination of digital and packaged and synergy between the two
- Original DS at 15000yen was not profitable and 3ds is further unprofitable, as volume expands cost down effect
- On price cut large us retailer told them "feel like christmas is already here"
- Needs to deliver game experience what mobile phones cannot offer
- Aim is to combine social and real networks, synergise and maximise, aiming for new software this fy and next
-Said has no conclusion yet on sns impact, claimed no correllation between sns growing and nint sales down
- Aim to recover trust by 3ds recovery, no slides or presentation, into q&a now with first question on sns impact from fido
- Iwata taking responsibility for 3ds,, taking 50% salary cut and other execs 30% cut, reduced bonuses too
- Retailers decide over summer for xmas, developers won't then reduce plans for next y
- Price cut now because 1) so install base higher ahead of own title launches and hence success 2) message to developers and retailers
- 3ds line-up for third party doesn't show MGS which is surprising, not sure if it was on list, could be a delay

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=157740&sid=572d219e6f5bc85a8925f0163c6a87dd

Third Partys wouldn't support them when the Wii was selling out and breaking all sales records, even when third partys made profit off ""experiment"" titles.

Their boned.  Nintendo needs a change of management.

I'm glad if they did get their salaries cut. They have got to start pumping out more games... And doing something about the Wii U (I hope this is a project name and not the final name tbh).

RolStoppable said:
Seece said:
RolStoppable said:
That's not a high enough price to pay. I would have prefered it, if he kept his money and announced New Super Mario Bros. 3DS along with some other true Nintendo games instead, as a sign of capitulation. Plus, Wii U being entirely reconsidered.

Oh, you hate WiiU itself? I think it's not a bad move personally, just the direction they're taking it in .... is stupid.

Of course I hate it. They decided to kill the Wii for a piece of junk. I had no problem with Nintendo letting the Gamecube die, because that system had no life left in it anyway. But the Wii... that's an entirely different story. It's like killing your parents despite them being good to you.

Pffftt...oh please ROL. The Wii could NEVER have survived going into the next generation against PS4/720 if that's what you think.

Wii was a great console for Nintendo but they still have to keep moving ahead instead of binding themselves to it.

Wii-U is a continuation of the Wii strategy as Nintendo said themselves. Everything that could be done on Wii can be done on Wii U plus much more.

Don't give me that " Wii-mote won't get any support " line because Nintendo will obviously support it and all the 'casual' 3rd party games that were popular on Wii, such as just Dance, work better with wiimote than they would with the new controller as devs such as ubisoft should know. Plus, if Nintendo packs a wii mote and nunchuk with the console like I think they plan to, that all but guarantees continued support for it. It's good for the customer to have  controller options .

Wii wasn't by any means a perfect console and Wii U has the potential to fix the mistakes of Wii while keeping what made the Wii popular, even if it most likely won't have the same impact Wii had.

Releasing the screened controller as an add-on for Wii, as you seem to have suggested once, would have been futile and careless. It wouldn't have done shit! (pardon my language).

Nintendo has the opportunity to start of next gen first (unlike Sony and MS who are trying to prolong this one to recoup profits) and they are wise to take it. It's a nice little advantage.

Edit: 'True' Nintendo games ROL? Really? *Rolls eyes*