By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumour: Iwata takes 50% Salary Cut due to 3DS

Makes a nice change from seeing headlines here about bankers getting record bonuses despite screwing everyone over...

VGChartz

Around the Network

Iwata is a great person

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

That's nice. Stops them laying people off, I suppose...

...but is the 3DS really doing THAT bad? Or is this an over-reaction?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

RolStoppable said:
Conegamer said:

If anything, it is an underreaction.

Now come on Rol, it's the end of the generation. We all know Ninty is in trouble now, but in a few years time it won't be. The 3DS is great, just needs some games. And we know nothing really about the WiiU, so just wait and hope they'll do the right thing, OK?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

RolStoppable said:
Play4Fun said:

Pffftt...oh please ROL. The Wii could NEVER have survived going into the next generation against PS4/720 if that's what you think.

Wii was a great console for Nintendo but they still have to keep moving ahead instead of binding themselves to it.

Wii-U is a continuation of the Wii strategy as Nintendo said themselves. Everything that could be done on Wii can be done on Wii U plus much more.

Don't give me that " Wii-mote won't get any support " line because Nintendo will obviously support it and all the 'casual' 3rd party games that were popular on Wii, such as just Dance, work better with wiimote than they would with the new controller as devs such as ubisoft should know. Plus, if Nintendo packs a wii mote and nunchuk with the console like I think they plan to, that all but guarantees continued support for it. It's good for the customer to have  controller options .

Wii wasn't by any means a perfect console and Wii U has the potential to fix the mistakes of Wii while keeping what made the Wii popular, even if it most likely won't have the same impact Wii had.

Releasing the screened controller as an add-on for Wii, as you seem to have suggested once, would have been futile and careless. It wouldn't have done shit! (pardon my language).

Nintendo has the opportunity to start of next gen first (unlike Sony and MS who are trying to prolong this one to recoup profits) and they are wise to take it. It's a nice little advantage.

Edit: 'True' Nintendo games ROL? Really? *Rolls eyes*

I am losing patience with you Nintendo 64 kids who are completely clueless. I know you look forward to the Wii U, because you never really liked the Wii and the Wii U fits your idea of what a Nintendo console should be. The sooner the Wii is dead, the better. Right?

Remember, the 3DS can do everything the DS can and more. Yet it ended up being a trainwreck that needed a panic price cut. Somebody with common sense would take that as an omen instead of pretending that Nintendo actually knows what they are doing.

Yes, I disagree with you so I hate the Wii and am therefore also a kid. I look forward to the Wii U because I like the experience it can offer.

The console is still not final and what has happened with the 3DS only means that Nintendo will try not to make ithappen with Wii U but we are still getting the console similar to how it was shown, screen and all. I didn't know looking forward to another console meant having to hate the previous ones.

I see you're raging but I have enough common sense to know what I like and also to not think one person (YOU!) has all the answers for what a company should and shouldn't do.

Around the Network

Nintendo will be taking another salary cut if they keep BS'in with games like Zelda Skyward Sword. People will remember these moments when the Wii-U launches.

RolStoppable said:
Play4Fun said:

Yes, I disagree with you so I hate the Wii and am therefore also a kid. I look forward to the Wii U because I like the experience it can offer.

The console is still not final and what has happened with the 3DS only means that Nintendo will try not to make ithappen with Wii U but we are still getting the console similar to how it was shown, screen and all. I didn't know looking forward to another console meant having to hate the previous ones.

I see you're raging but I have enough common sense to know what I like and also to not think one person (YOU!) has all the answers for what a company should and shouldn't do.

Yes, that's exactly the problem I am talking about. You completely fail at objectivity.

And your problem is you think your opinion on what Nintendo should do is, without a doubt, right.

I think Nintendo is taking the right direction with Wii U. Get third party games on their console along with their first party and appeal to all markets.

But then again, I think more like someone who likes to play games than someone who likes to look at sales, so I guess that's the difference between the two of us.

Conegamer said:
RolStoppable said:
Conegamer said:

If anything, it is an underreaction.

Now come on Rol, it's the end of the generation. We all know Ninty is in trouble now, but in a few years time it won't be. The 3DS is great, just needs some games. And we know nothing really about the WiiU, so just wait and hope they'll do the right thing, OK?

Even if the 3DS explodes eventually, in the next few years they will release the Wii U, which will dig them in deep in the trenches. Real deep.

They are stemming far away from their DS/Wii successful and smart directions into an unknown that will prove them wrong. If third parties didn't support them at their absolute peak on the Wii, will they support the U with anything but PS360 ports and the very rare exclusive? Probably not. Power was not an issue, look at how the DS was supported... they, along with your teen/young adult "hardcore" gamers, don't want to see Nintendo home consoles, pure and simple.

Iwata & co. will run their good efforts into the ground, very soon.

RolStoppable said:
Play4Fun said:

And your problem is you think your opinion on what Nintendo should do is, without a doubt, right.

I think Nintendo is taking the right direction with Wii U. Get third party games on their console along with their first party and appeal to all markets.

But then again, I think more like someone who likes to play games than someone who likes to look at sales, so I guess that's the difference between the two of us.

My opinion is backed up by historical evidence, that's the difference between us.

You think that the Gamecube is the right direction for Nintendo. You know, getting third party games on their console along with their first party. But yeah, the Wii U won't be a Gamecube, because it has the word "Wii" in its name which should trick people into buying one. This worked already wonders for the 3DS, didn't it?

So all you're saying is, ' This is what happened last time, so it stands to reason that this is what will happen this time too'.

The industry during GC's gen isn't the same as the industry today. Almost everything is multi-platform (even iphones get ports)and third party exclusives are few and far in between. All Nintendo has to do is make porting easy (unlike Wii) and have a  userbase for the games.

Wii-U is has already been said to be easy to port to and with the advantage of launching first, Nintendo can grab up a sizeable userbase before the others launch and continue to grow it after.

There's no reason third parties wouldn't put their games on it then unless you believe they hate money and Nintendo.

I don't believe trying to keep Wii going into next gen or just trying to repeat it with another console will make Nintendo successful.

I love the Japanese concept of honour and responsibility. It's been said above already but not only U.S. politians and CEO's could learn a lesson. That could happen. Iwata's a class act and 3DS is far from done. May be another product a bit before it's time and a bit overpriced.