By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is Pixar (and Cars 2 sucked!)

Tagged games:

I barely can spot the difference between Disney, Pixar or Dreamworks movies for that matter. Why people praise Pixar so much, hating on Disney at the same time?

And speaking of comparisons, I always thought that Nintendo is more like Disney in it's past glory.

Around the Network
Joelcool7 said:

Well Lewis, you make the comparison of Nintendo's current state with Pixar's latest movie Cars 2. However you then counter that statement by saying how great Nintendo is doing with the newest console the 3DS. Its alittle contradictory don't you think?

What can I say?  I'm very pleased with my 3DS!

I was just pointing out that Nintendo/Pixar were still the best in the business but that the competition has caught up with them.  At one point in time, Nintendo's games were so far ahead of the competition as far as quality goes, that it was scary.  Nobody had the amount of polish that their products had.  Now, the playing field seems a little more leveled.  Cars 2 just made me realize that, for the first time ever, my favorite CGI animated film of the year wasn't made by Pixar.  It's sort of like the feeling I got when I had to admit to myself that my favorite game/console wasn't a Nintendo game or console (which was this generartion).

mai said:
I barely can spot the difference between Disney, Pixar or Dreamworks movies for that matter. Why people praise Pixar so much, hating on Disney at the same time?

And speaking of comparisons, I always thought that Nintendo is more like Disney in it's past glory.

Now that you mention it, I guess Nintendo IS a bit more like Disney than anything else.

• Beloved, timeless characters (Mario/Mickey Mouse)
  • Respected, visionary creator (Miyamoto/Walt Disney)
  • Fanbase with fond childhood memories (Super Mario Bros./The Little Mermaid)
  • Appeals to all ages
  • Charges too damned much for an immersive experience (3DS/Disney World)
  • Sub-Companies that kick ass (Retro/Pixar)
  • Memorable music (Zelda's Lullaby/When You Wish Upon A Star)
  • Embraces older technology (Cartridges, Standard Definintion/Traditional Animation, Stop Motion)

Good point!

d21lewis said:
Joelcool7 said:

Well Lewis, you make the comparison of Nintendo's current state with Pixar's latest movie Cars 2. However you then counter that statement by saying how great Nintendo is doing with the newest console the 3DS. Its alittle contradictory don't you think?

What can I say?  I'm very pleased with my 3DS!

I was just pointing out that Nintendo/Pixar were still the best in the business but that the competition has caught up with them.  At one point in time, Nintendo's games were so far ahead of the competition as far as quality goes, that it was scary.  Nobody had the amount of polish that their products had.  Now, the playing field seems a little more leveled.  Cars 2 just made me realize that, for the first time ever, my favorite CGI animated film of the year wasn't made by Pixar.  It's sort of like the feeling I got when I had to admit to myself that my favorite game/console wasn't a Nintendo game or console (which was this generartion).

I dunno, its not like the quality of Nintendo games has really taken a dive, its more the quality of the competition has really improved.

I too came to a similiar realization this gen. I can't be a one console guy anymore. It used to be all the quality games came to Nintendo systems. Even GameCube still got several quality ports. But this generation 360 just had the third party support and quality games, Nintendo still had all the great 1st party content. But in order to experiance everything I had to buy an X-Box.

I don't know what a good example would be for Nintendo. They are pretty unique!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

mai said:

That was one of my main gripes about Cars (and to a certain extent Up)... that it didn't feel like a Pixar movie and kind of blurred the previously clear line between Pixar's resume and Dreamworks, Fox and other studios that pump out second-rate CGI kids movies on a yearly basis.  Whereas most CGI movies made by the others were mainly family comedys that went for the cheap laughs and pop culture gags (and weren't exactly breaking new ground in the animation department), Pixar's films always had alot of depth to both the story and characters, and it was clear that alot of time and effort went into not only the animation, but the writing as well.  Not to mention that Pixar was always on the cutting edge of CGI filmmaking...  Toy Story still looks incredible to this day, which is impressive for a movie that came out way back in 1995 when "3D" console games were first starting to really take off, and the word "polygon" entered the mainstream public's lexicon for the first time.

As for your question as to why people always praise Pixar and hate on Disney at the same time, I think you pretty much answered that with your last statement.... many people feel that Disney, much like Nintendo, relies way too much on nostalgia and continually pumping out titles based on their back catalogue to be successful, rather than taking the risks and being the true pioneers that they once were back in their golden years.  In fact, I'd say Disney is far, FAR worse than Nintendo in this respect, because while yes Nintendo always relies on their big tried and true franchises like Mario Zelda and Metroid, each new game is usually a new landmark, and not just for the series but for gaming in general with new gameplay innovations that constantly push the industry as a whole forward.

Pixar is revered in this respect because they're constantly innovating without relying solely on Disney's existing IPs to make successful movies.  Disney themselves on the other hand seems content with raping everyone's childhood with horrendous, phoned-in, direct-to-video "sequels" (or in many cases even worse... PREquels!) of longtime classics like Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Bambi, and so on, while simultaneously pushing their full marketing muscle behind some of the most god awful things in human history to ever grace pop culture like Hannah Montana and The Jonas Brothers, and force them onto kids and their parents.

Wii Fit, Wii Play and even Wii Music have nothing... NOTHING on Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers!!!

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
Xen said:
darthdevidem01 said:
mehhhhhhh OLD DISNEY IS BEST!

Where are films like Lion King, Pocahontas & Alladin now?!?!?!!?!?12313123

In a landfill, where they belong (well, expect Lion King, it's awesome)

*came here to praise Toy Story 3*

The same landfill where reels of Lord Of the Rings : The Boring Towers have been put? Surely Pocahontas & Alladin aren't that bad!!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

until you watched cars life 2 right?

On your side note, I haven't played OOT since N64, and I was surprised to find out that the game play of the 3DS version is still at least on par with some of the best games of this gen, which is scary since that shows how innovations are so shitty these days other than some of the select few games.

darthdevidem01 said:
Xen said:
darthdevidem01 said:
mehhhhhhh OLD DISNEY IS BEST!

Where are films like Lion King, Pocahontas & Alladin now?!?!?!!?!?12313123

In a landfill, where they belong (well, expect Lion King, it's awesome)

*came here to praise Toy Story 3*

The same landfill where reels of Lord Of the Rings : The Boring Towers have been put? Surely Pocahontas & Alladin aren't that bad!!

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

I've touched a nerve! How much more 'till you cry?

Theres quality in your redbox. It's called Cars Life 2!!!!