By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN gives Ocarina of Time a 9.5 out of 10. Yet Star Fox gets an extra 0.3 added to its score?

Tagged games:

9.5 from IGN is amazing, they usually give that score to a very rare gem, maybe they didn't give it 10 because it's a remake.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Around the Network
enrageorange said:
I thought sony fanboys were ridiculous when they got mad that their beloved games scored below a 9.
9.5 is way more than the game deserves if it were rated by the same standards most games today are.

While I understand your sentiment, in fairness unless you have played the game then you cannot say definitively the game is not worth a 9.5 surely either? 

Seriously... your complaining that the game ONLY got a 9.5? :o Oh my god, how could a ported, barely updated 10 year old cashcow only get a 9.5? How could they?!?!

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:
Seriously... your complaining that the game ONLY got a 9.5? :o Oh my god, how could a ported, barely updated 10 year old cashcow only get a 9.5? How could they?!?!

Don't take that too seriously. It's a running joke that any rating from IGN is under scored.

9.5 is still good :)

10 would have been nice though

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Around the Network

The IGN Nintendo team is great in my opinion. I think Rich wrote a very detailed and fair review, and after completing the game myself I'd say a 9.5 score is perfect.

Boutros said:
Rainbow Yoshi said:
It looks likely to be game of the year, however there are still potential games that could pip it to the post.

Something would be dreadfully wrong with the industry if a re-release/remake wins GOTY.

Yyyyyyyyeah, this. I'm happy OoT got a remake cause it could really use a much smoother and more intuitive overhaul (which it sounds like it got) but for a game to be GotY it has to do more than just deliver me the same game I bought three times in the last 15 years. 

Boutros said:
Rainbow Yoshi said:
It looks likely to be game of the year, however there are still potential games that could pip it to the post.

Something would be dreadfully wrong with the industry if a re-release/remake wins GOTY.

I don't know, maybe it's because a lot of games released now days aren't that good. A handful of games are mentioned on forums (uncharted, uncharted, uncharted, etc...) that are good, but that's it.

I finished this game for the first time on the 3DS, and I love it. I've played ocarina of time when I was 10, and couldnt be bothered to understand where to go to next, but now, i finally finished it, and it was very satisfying, something many games I've played these days fail to do, because the stories feel extremely obvious and cliche'. The hero is mostly a male character with a beard, blah blah blah, same ole same ole.

And to those complaining about the score,seriously find something better to do; it's not worth it, joke or not.

Linkasf said:

I don't know, maybe it's because a lot of games released now days aren't that good. A handful of games are mentioned on forums (uncharted, uncharted, uncharted, etc...) that are good, but that's it.

I finished this game for the first time on the 3DS, and I love it. I've played ocarina of time when I was 10, and couldnt be bothered to understand where to go to next, but now, i finally finished it, and it was very satisfying, something many games I've played these days fail to do, because the stories feel extremely obvious and cliche'. The hero is mostly a male character with a beard, blah blah blah, same ole same ole.

And to those complaining about the score,seriously find something better to do; it's not worth it, joke or not.

I think that just from a fairness aspect I don't like remakes/ports being up for GotY awards because it's giving the same game multiple chances at the award.  Seems to me that a game should only be able to win the award when it first releases and anything after that whether it be ports or remakes don't really count for such awards. 

Torillian said:
Linkasf said:

I think that just from a fairness aspect I don't like remakes/ports being up for GotY awards because it's giving the same game multiple chances at the award.  Seems to me that a game should only be able to win the award when it first releases and anything after that whether it be ports or remakes don't really count for such awards.

I have to say I disagree in principle.  If you're judging it by today's standard in the score, shouldn't it also get a chance to compete against today's games for GOTY?  On the other hand, you could just say "well we decided to give the other games a chance and not get destroyed, so we excluded this" but that's more out of pity than principle. 

Frankly if a game released 13 years ago can still be GOTY in 2011, I want to see that shit go up on the scoreboard!  Proof once and for all that Nintendo games are timeless! 

P.S.  I admit there's also the practical challenge of finding judges you can count on to not have rose colored glasses, but also not be biased against it. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!