By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN gives Ocarina of Time a 9.5 out of 10. Yet Star Fox gets an extra 0.3 added to its score?

Tagged games:

Final-Fan said:

I have to say I disagree in principle.  If you're judging it by today's standard in the score, shouldn't it also get a chance to compete against today's games for GOTY?  On the other hand, you could just say "well we decided to give the other games a chance and not get destroyed, so we excluded this" but that's more out of pity than principle. 

Frankly if a game released 13 years ago can still be GOTY in 2011, I want to see that shit go up on the scoreboard!  Proof once and for all that Nintendo games are timeless! 

P.S.  I admit there's also the practical challenge of finding judges you can count on to not have rose colored glasses, but also not be biased against it. 

hmm...actually hadn't considered the fairness between the review style and the GotY awards.  I suppose yer right that if you compare it to the current gaming industry for the review it should be up for GotY awards as well.  I don't think it'll win any personally (other than 3DS specific awards) but it should be in contention.  

Around the Network

Seeing and reading this makes me sad i never got into Zelda. I played The Legend of Zelda but couldn't like it no matter what, even though my friends were ranting about it.....but the gold coloured cartridge was dope !!

Gaming Away Life Since 1985

spurgeonryan said:

But the  main reason they don't give it a 10 is because some of the graphics could have been re-done better! They did not do any tweeks to the music (although I believe it comes with the soundtrack?). IGN...it was a 10 back in 1998, now it is better, but you reduced the score? What else am I missing people, other than it is basically the same game on a new system. Remember some people have not seen it. You wouldn't give Star Wars a A- just because it was re-release with new scenes would you? Let's have a 17 year old who did not play the original rate this game and see what happens.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/117/1177020p1.html

Honestly you should be happy it even got that score. To me it is a VERY good game but highly overrated. Yes at the TIME it was out it offered a vast open 3D world (outside of Mario 64) with some good action and good story, but it has not aged very well, although Master Quest was well done. For the sake of comparisson a game I would put up there with OOT in current day is Nier. I know I will get massive Nintendo fan hate but these 2 titles are comparable. Downside to Nier is the fetch quests really because the story is superb and the action good (music takes the cake hands down). OOT's downside is how much it has aged and is by no means timeless when compared to other 3D environment games. I replayed it a few times in the past year and the last time I forced myself to finish it again just because (new PC so wanted to have the save data). I think that 9.5 is nostalgic value and there is nothing really wrong with that. I truly feel that Majora's Mask should have gotten some sort of revival because the masks were awesome, the story was unique and the gameplay elements and the ocarina usage was cleverly done. At current day I personally give OOT about an 8.5 to an 8.8, and the reason is because it is easy for a 3D environment game to not age well, whereas 2D games are easier to age (case in point Castlevania SOTN). Again, I commend Nintendo for making one of the best games ever, but as time has passed I feel that it is becomming overrated and people need to take off those goggles and be open to try other games in similar genres and realize what true gems they are instead of living in the 90's. This way I discovered such great games as Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, TWEWY, Nier, Valkyrie Profile, Order of Ecclesia, Farenheit (Indigo Prophecy).

On on closing note YOU should be happy this game got scored higher than MOST games out there, and many developers would KILL to have a 9.5 rating on a CURRENT GEN game, and believe me there are many great games deserving of those scores but over stupid graphics, or other fanboy goggle technicalities that IGN and other sites tend to wear, they do not get the scores they deserve. InFamous 1 got on several sites HIGHER scores than InFamous 2 which was a VASTLY SUPERIOR game. So again, be happy that such an old game got such a high score, because only a handful deserve it.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

Linkasf said:
Boutros said:
Rainbow Yoshi said:
It looks likely to be game of the year, however there are still potential games that could pip it to the post.

Something would be dreadfully wrong with the industry if a re-release/remake wins GOTY.

I don't know, maybe it's because a lot of games released now days aren't that good. A handful of games are mentioned on forums (uncharted, uncharted, uncharted, etc...) that are good, but that's it.

I finished this game for the first time on the 3DS, and I love it. I've played ocarina of time when I was 10, and couldnt be bothered to understand where to go to next, but now, i finally finished it, and it was very satisfying, something many games I've played these days fail to do, because the stories feel extremely obvious and cliche'. The hero is mostly a male character with a beard, blah blah blah, same ole same ole.

And to those complaining about the score,seriously find something better to do; it's not worth it, joke or not.

I suggest you try, Nier, Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles1 and 2, TWEWY, Valkyrie Profile 1 AND 2, KZ3, the Witcher 2, Bioshock 1, Dead Nation, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake, Folklore, Muramasa, Bayonetta, Dead Space 1 but especially Dead Space 2, Castlevania Order of Ecclesia, God Eater Burst, Zenonia series, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Peace Walker, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Dungeon Siege 3, Super Street Fighter 4, Mortal Kombat, MvC3, Resistance 1, 2 and Retribution, Monster Hunter series, Pokemon Black/White (I can't stand this series anymore but I understand that Millions love it), Lost Odyssey (arguably one of the best JRPG's this gen, amazing music and story), Yakuza 3 and 4, Two Worlds 2, Trine, etc,etc,etc,etc. So for you to say nowadays games aren't that good, you should seriously dig a little deep because I have names MANY games who MANY would say are between VERY good and AMAZING games all in a matter of about a min or so. Furthermore many of the stories are not cliche. Lost Odyssey with the thousand year dream alone puts Zelda and many of MY personal favorite games' storyline to shame. Yakuza is a very good view at the japanese gangster life with a pretty crazy story and crazier gameplay. Valkyria Chronicles aside from great gameplay has a very deep and personal story to tell on the casualties of war without resorting to blood and gore. Dead Space takes the crown in survival horror and really blows your mind with all the crazy stuff that Isaac confronts to the point of total insanity. TWEWY...anything I say has already been said by the millions of DS owners. Nier is a gem that may start off slow but has a deep story with the relationship between a father and his dying daughter (unless you got japanese version of Replicant in which case it's the brother), along with the relationship with Kaine and the child. Bioshock is deep in gameplay and deeper in story with Andrew Ryan portraying a sort of evil version of Howard Hughes (check his story in wiki if u don't know). Heavy Rain with a kidnapper that kills children and you are at the center of the drama being the father, a reporter, a private investigator, and an FBI agent trying to find the guy. And I barely touched the tip of the iceberg on any of these, but if you'd like, I can go deeper.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

demonfox13 said:
Linkasf said:
Boutros said:
Rainbow Yoshi said:
It looks likely to be game of the year, however there are still potential games that could pip it to the post.

Something would be dreadfully wrong with the industry if a re-release/remake wins GOTY.

I don't know, maybe it's because a lot of games released now days aren't that good. A handful of games are mentioned on forums (uncharted, uncharted, uncharted, etc...) that are good, but that's it.

I finished this game for the first time on the 3DS, and I love it. I've played ocarina of time when I was 10, and couldnt be bothered to understand where to go to next, but now, i finally finished it, and it was very satisfying, something many games I've played these days fail to do, because the stories feel extremely obvious and cliche'. The hero is mostly a male character with a beard, blah blah blah, same ole same ole.

And to those complaining about the score,seriously find something better to do; it's not worth it, joke or not.

I suggest you try, Nier, Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles1 and 2, TWEWY, Valkyrie Profile 1 AND 2, KZ3, the Witcher 2, Bioshock 1, Dead Nation, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake, Folklore, Muramasa, Bayonetta, Dead Space 1 but especially Dead Space 2, Castlevania Order of Ecclesia, God Eater Burst, Zenonia series, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Peace Walker, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Dungeon Siege 3, Super Street Fighter 4, Mortal Kombat, MvC3, Resistance 1, 2 and Retribution, Monster Hunter series, Pokemon Black/White (I can't stand this series anymore but I understand that Millions love it), Lost Odyssey (arguably one of the best JRPG's this gen, amazing music and story), Yakuza 3 and 4, Two Worlds 2, Trine, etc,etc,etc,etc. So for you to say nowadays games aren't that good, you should seriously dig a little deep because I have names MANY games who MANY would say are between VERY good and AMAZING games all in a matter of about a min or so. Furthermore many of the stories are not cliche. Lost Odyssey with the thousand year dream alone puts Zelda and many of MY personal favorite games' storyline to shame. Yakuza is a very good view at the japanese gangster life with a pretty crazy story and crazier gameplay. Valkyria Chronicles aside from great gameplay has a very deep and personal story to tell on the casualties of war without resorting to blood and gore. Dead Space takes the crown in survival horror and really blows your mind with all the crazy stuff that Isaac confronts to the point of total insanity. TWEWY...anything I say has already been said by the millions of DS owners. Nier is a gem that may start off slow but has a deep story with the relationship between a father and his dying daughter (unless you got japanese version of Replicant in which case it's the brother), along with the relationship with Kaine and the child. Bioshock is deep in gameplay and deeper in story with Andrew Ryan portraying a sort of evil version of Howard Hughes (check his story in wiki if u don't know). Heavy Rain with a kidnapper that kills children and you are at the center of the drama being the father, a reporter, a private investigator, and an FBI agent trying to find the guy. And I barely touched the tip of the iceberg on any of these, but if you'd like, I can go deeper.

Funny how you name the exact same games that I always hear about that I have played, and got bored of quite fast. My expectations this gen have become too high because many games feel very underwhelming, with a slap of graphics to cover the horrendous nature of it. The only new game I've played and enjoyed on a console very much was MH3, and that's pretty much it. Those games you've mentioned do not fit what I like, because IVE BEEN THERE DONE THAT. Understand that I do not follow what sheep always like, because I like what I like. Simple as that.

Many of those stories are very much similar to movies and books plots, and they always have characters which are the usual cliche... I don't want to explain further on this, go to TV tropes, and read about that stuff, thousands, and I mean thousands of these cliche's in games. When you're giving me a list of games, the first thing you would ask me, if you were in person, is what kind of genres do I like/enjoy. For example, Heavy rain is not the kinda game I would play at all, because I don't feel like its a game, just a long cinamatic.  Bioshock I have played, and got bored of quite fast, and that's especially after finishing the game so damn fast I couldn't believe it wasnt mentioned in reviews.

Tbh I just hope that the next gen doesn't disappoint and doesn't fill the market with 100 shooter type games and starts putting a more serious effort.

Added: I have played some of those games that you have mentioned and finished them 100% (mursmasa as an example), but they just don't have that lasting appeal, or replay value, that would make me want to play it after 2 years of purchase. THat's  a kinda game I try to find and play (Diablo 2, and Unreal tournament are among the few games that I still play up till this day, despite owning them since 2000-2001).

Around the Network

I love OoT and I think I would like the 3DS version but I dunno a 9.5

There Are Many Paths to Gaming Heaven

irstupid said:
Staude said:
irstupid said:
Torillian said:
spurgeonryan said:

But the  main reason they don't give it a 10 is because some of the graphics could have been re-done better! They did not do any tweeks to the music (although I believe it comes with the soundtrack?). IGN...it was a 10 back in 1998, now it is better, but you reduced the score? What else am I missing people, other than it is basically the same game on a new system. Remember some people have not seen it. You wouldn't give Star Wars a A- just because it was re-release with new scenes would you? Let's have a 17 year old who did not play the original rate this game and see what happens.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/117/1177020p1.html

I'm a big proponent of the idea that a 10 in 1998 wouldn't necessarily be a 10 in 2011.  Gaming has changed and evolved since then and standards have moved forward.  Similar to how a late port usually gets a lower metacritic score even if it's only a few months old it seems that the remake didn't improve enough to make up the difference that 13 years has made to industry standards.  I'd have to play it myself to see if I agree.

i'm in the exact opposite boat.  take away todays pretty graphics and see how they do

there have been soo many great games i have played this gen that have less than par graphics and they got horrible reviews and there have been even more shitty games that i have played that had amazing graphics and good scores.

It seems a game gets docked a bunch for its graphics in reviews, yet doesn't get docked for bugs or gliches.  They just go "hope an update fixes this later"  its like wtf

you realize that more powerful hardware allows for improvement in all aspects of the game, and not just the visuals right ?

A more direct reply to your statement.. Concider that a game from 1996 released today the exact same. The controls would be slammed, the AI would be slammed... It would be called a relic, under developed as the game today are amongst and competing with games in the same genre that have been developed much further... Even if the original game was the starting point of their development. If it had'nt been made before, didn't have a popular char.. It would get slammed in reviews.

read a recent interview on ocarina of time and found something interesting stated.  basically the z targeting works that when you have them targeting then that enemy ONLY attacks you and theother wait there turn.

to me that sounds like the recent assassins creed games and many others where the enemies all WAIT their turn to fight or fight you one on one.  doesn't sound like the ai in recent games is much better.

i know witcher 2 they all attack at once and due to this i have seen more than enough of people complainig about how its too hard and they should be liek assassins creed.  very sad

You can easily emulate weaker hardware on more powerful hardware.. While I do believe multiple enemies can attack you in assassins creed, I've only played the first one so I'm not entirely sure.

That doesn't make it good AI though.

An example of good AI is the enemies in killzone 2, they don't just follow the usual fps enemy script. They adapt compared to you. You can't pull that AI off in the same way with weak hardware.

I'm not saying that all new games have great AI, i'm just saying the hardware gives them the opportunity to have create better AI. It's still completely up to the individual developer to actually do it.

Another example is the friendly AI in uncharted. One of the things that really stood out to me in the first uncharted, was how the AI partner adapted to the enviroment and to both you and the enemies, picking up weapons, moving from cover to cover, not getting in your way and actually giving you the feeling they were competent and helping you. :P

Ofcourse the more powerful hardware allows dynamic systems which allows for more immersion, but that's partially besides the point i'm trying to make here, since we all know that.. It's that the more powerful hardware is a tool to allow the developer to make a better game in all aspects.

Check out my game about moles ^

I was just like to say that Star Wars DID re-release with new scenes and people DID hate it for that....with that said, I believe it should have gotten a 10. If they reviewed the original one today, it probably wouldn't get a 10. But with the updated version, it has the best graphics on 3DS so far, and improved gameplay/controls (water temple and iron boots), so it really should have gotten a 10.

Systems I Own: PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, 3DS, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, Genesis/Sega CD, Atari 2600, Atari Jaguar, Game Boy, GB Advance, Game Gear, Intellivision, PC, Xbox, Sega Saturn, Virtual Boy

9.5 It is a great score indded guys!

Switch!!!

lol 9.5 is a great score, I don't think the game deserves more than that. What about Gamespot and their standardized 8.5 Nintendo score?