By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN gives Ocarina of Time a 9.5 out of 10. Yet Star Fox gets an extra 0.3 added to its score?

Tagged games:

Ports have to be held to higher standards than original games, because they launch several years later, when more is expected of a game, and because really, there isn't going to be very much in a port that's new.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Torillian said:
spurgeonryan said:

But the  main reason they don't give it a 10 is because some of the graphics could have been re-done better! They did not do any tweeks to the music (although I believe it comes with the soundtrack?). IGN...it was a 10 back in 1998, now it is better, but you reduced the score? What else am I missing people, other than it is basically the same game on a new system. Remember some people have not seen it. You wouldn't give Star Wars a A- just because it was re-release with new scenes would you? Let's have a 17 year old who did not play the original rate this game and see what happens.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/117/1177020p1.html

I'm a big proponent of the idea that a 10 in 1998 wouldn't necessarily be a 10 in 2011.  Gaming has changed and evolved since then and standards have moved forward.  Similar to how a late port usually gets a lower metacritic score even if it's only a few months old it seems that the remake didn't improve enough to make up the difference that 13 years has made to industry standards.  I'd have to play it myself to see if I agree.

i'm in the exact opposite boat.  take away todays pretty graphics and see how they do

there have been soo many great games i have played this gen that have less than par graphics and they got horrible reviews and there have been even more shitty games that i have played that had amazing graphics and good scores.

It seems a game gets docked a bunch for its graphics in reviews, yet doesn't get docked for bugs or gliches.  They just go "hope an update fixes this later"  its like wtf

irstupid said:

i'm in the exact opposite boat.  take away todays pretty graphics and see how they do

there have been soo many great games i have played this gen that have less than par graphics and they got horrible reviews and there have been even more shitty games that i have played that had amazing graphics and good scores.

It seems a game gets docked a bunch for its graphics in reviews, yet doesn't get docked for bugs or gliches.  They just go "hope an update fixes this later"  its like wtf

I don't view that as the opposite boat, I definitely agree that games should be docked for bugs and glitches and that's why I prefer a score like ours for something like Fallout 3 over most review sites' scores.  Any game where I have to restart multiple times for getting inexplicably stuck in rocks just shouldn't get that high of scores.  

But I don't think that a game with glitches like that should get terrible scores like a 6 because in the end those are minor moments of the game that mar an otherwise great experience.

Wo! Actually I think that the score is higher than expect (and I'm happy). It'n not a new experience like it was in 1998.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

didn't they give ocarina of time a 10/10 for the virtual console on the wii when it came out.

wonder what happened that made the n64 a 10/10, the virtual console a 10/10 and the 3ds a 9.5/10. what did 3ds make crappier

or is the not completely updated track worth a .5 deduction?

Around the Network

well the textures are great but the models could have used a bit more polygons. it does not bother me though but it will of course effect the score so if the system can do better then what has been done in the game they can't give it a perfect 10 in graphics so that will effect the end score

so very good score!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

irstupid said:
didn't they give ocarina of time a 10/10 for the virtual console on the wii when it came out.

wonder what happened that made the n64 a 10/10, the virtual console a 10/10 and the 3ds a 9.5/10. what did 3ds make crappier

I guess they review VC releases based on how they would have graded the original game at the time of release and not based on what's currently available at the time.  I would count that more as an incorrect way to review the VC release over incorrect for the 3DS.  

That's why we try to stay away from doing reviews for ports of old games released on VC or PSN, it's difficult to establish how to review it.  Either you have to review it based on current standards and it's going to get utterly crapped on in the graphics department or you try to remember all the way back to the standards for when it released which is dicey in itself.   

irstupid said:

All those three versions were reviewed by different reviewers.

Torillian said:
irstupid said:

I guess they review VC releases based on how they would have graded the original game at the time of release and not based on what's currently available at the time.  I would count that more as an incorrect way to review the VC release over incorrect for the 3DS.  

That's why we try to stay away from doing reviews for ports of old games released on VC or PSN, it's difficult to establish how to review it.  Either you have to review it based on current standards and it's going to get utterly crapped on in the graphics department or you try to remember all the way back to the standards for when it released which is dicey in itself.   

personally i think all vc and any remake shoudl be reviewed how it is NOW.

if i'm new to the gaming world and i see a game get a 10/10 woudl i not buy it?  then i play and its horrible, but OH it was awesome in 1990.  Take golden eye.  If it were released on vc with its 64 controls, it should NOT get a 10/10.  Doesn't matter if those controls were amazing in 1998, they suck now. 

there are some games i really enjoyed back in the day, but are unplayable now and actually suck.  Then there are games that have stood teh test of time and are just as great as they were back then.  such as basically any 2d side scrolling mario, or i believe ocarina of time is another.  final fantasy 8 and 4 i beleive as well. 

irstupid said:
Torillian said:
irstupid said:

personally i think all vc and any remake shoudl be reviewed how it is NOW.

if i'm new to the gaming world and i see a game get a 10/10 woudl i not buy it?  then i play and its horrible, but OH it was awesome in 1990.  Take golden eye.  If it were released on vc with its 64 controls, it should NOT get a 10/10.  Doesn't matter if those controls were amazing in 1998, they suck now. 

there are some games i really enjoyed back in the day, but are unplayable now and actually suck.  Then there are games that have stood teh test of time and are just as great as they were back then.  such as basically any 2d side scrolling mario, or i believe ocarina of time is another.  final fantasy 8 and 4 i beleive as well. 

I would tend to agree, if you are going to review a VC game you should base it on standards and controls now.  But it just makes my life easier on our site to avoid the issue altogether ^^