By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Explain to me how PS3 and Wii had better E3 than 360

One word pretty much explains it. Kinect.

If you like the Kinect then the conference was probably pretty good. If you dont it was likely a huge disappointment.

Additionally you do the same thing that SONY and Nintendo fanboys do. Gloss over the competition. There was alot more to the presentations than the games you listed. Just the fact alone that both SONY and Nintendo each showcased _new_ hardware is a deciding factor in claiming they had a better press conference than Microsoft.

Etc. Etc.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
ethomaz said:

PS3 vs 360 was on par or Halo 4 was the best announce.

But overall the Microsoft E3 was MEH (5/10), Nintendo had Wii U (6/10) and Sony the best of show with PSVita (7/10)... the big three made a MEH E3 this year.

And of course you forget many titles for PS3:

Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception (exclusive, 3D)
inFAMOUS 2 (exclusive, Move support)
LittleBigPlanet 2 (exclusive, more Move support)
Resistance 3 (exclusive, 3D)
Twisted Metal (exclusive)
Starhawk (exclusive)
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (exclusive)
God of War Origins (exclusive, 3D)
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection (exclusive, 3D)
Street Fighter X Tekken (with PSVita integration)
Dust 514 (exclusive, Move support)
Dragon's Crown (exclusive, PSVita integration)
Ruin (exclusive, PSVita integration)
Tekken Hybrid
Sillent Hill HD Collection (exclusive)
Medieval Moves: Dead Man’s Quest (exclusive)
NBA On the Move (NBA 2K12 with Move)
Bioshock: Infinite (Move support)
Saints Row 3 (exclusive content)
Star Trek (Move support, exclusive content)
SSX (exclusive PS3-only run down Mt Fuji)
Need for Speed Rum (exclusive content)
Battlefield 3 (free Battlefield 1943)
WipEout HD (crossplay with PSVita WipEout)
Dragons’s Dogma (360 too)
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (360 too)
Blades of Time (360 too)
Overstrike (360 too)
Disgaea 4
Sorcery
Payback: The HEIST (PSN, console exclusive)
Papo & Yo (PSN)
Journey (PSN)
Pixeljunk Sidescroller (PSN)

I guess I forgot something .

On one hand, you forgot that Bioshock 3 was going to come with Bioshock 1.......but on the other hand, you probably shouldn't count that or any of the other multi-plats just because they have certain DLC or Add ons.  It's not like the OP was going out of his way to say "exclusive Kinect features" or "first released DLC".  That list looks long but upon closer inspection.....I mean, LBP2?  Seriously?

And I'm trying to remain unbiased in this thread.  I already stated that, in my opinion, Nintendo and Sony had better E3's than Nintendo.  As for the Wii vs Ps3 vs 360, I'm just reading/enjoying the thread and commenting here and there,

Yes...Seriously.

Little Big Planet 2 could be the game that makes me buy move, same thing for PSVita, Little Big Planet works extremely well with motion and touch controls.

MonstaMack said:
ethomaz said:

inFAMOUS 2 (exclusive, Move support)

LittleBigPlanet 2 (exclusive, more Move support)
Bioshock: Infinite (Move support))
SSX (exclusive PS3-only run down Mt Fuji)

What's wierd is when companies show off games that are already out, or in Sony's case out in a few days (Infamous 2) also I don't considering Move support a big deal as most people wouldn't consider Mass Effect 3's headset screaming exclusivity a big deal.

I also found it funny  that Sony/MS tout anything in terms of exclusive DLC. Really? A exclusive run down Mt Fuji? Oh that settles it, I'll buy a PS3 and SSX for one exclusive map.

Anyways PS3 has a good exclusive line up, I just don't think the Kinect line up should be ignored. To the hardcore the PS3 has a better lineup this fall, but if you throw in the casual audience iMHO the 360 has a better line up and **THATS** what will sell system this holiday. The 360 will be catching up towards the end of the years and It's gonna be another close race.

Mark my words, the only thing that will truly sell for kinect are bundled Kinect Sports 2 and Dance Central 2. Ryse is doomed to fail. Wrong market with the kinect. The Kinects great sales last year didnt stop Sony from gaining on them and Microsoft is quite delusional to create a market called "kinect core" when the kinect has only been out a year. They have no idea what the core will support outside of shooters on the 360.

Let me answer from a different perspective - that of the general perception across multiple sources from blogs to mainline "straight" press and media as it seems to me having read a fair bit of it since E3:

1 - Despite strong support in some quarters Nintendo generally seemed to come out of E3 the worst was. They showed exclusive games (and lots of them), they showed cool stuff and seemed to confirm lots of developer support for their new console, but all of that was lost in the confusion of the Wii U launch, the mixed and often confused coverage of this, their stock price tumbling and so on. When you are in first place and bork the first main public announcement of your next model to the extent your share price tumbles, a lot of industry reporters aren't even sure if there was a console or not and senior execs are forced to publicly admit they may have missed the mark then you've not done well at all in terms of general perception.

2 - coming out much better I thought and in second place was MS. Solid performance overall but... too little focus on their current core (which like it or lump it remains what the 360 is far more about than Kinect at this point) vs Kinect meant MS got marked down in general for overplaying to an audience they may not even get vs the Wii and not delivering enough for the faithful. The leak of their 1 genuine big announcement, Halo 4, also took the sails from their conference somewhat. The final point of contention that was touched on in many places was too much focus on multi-platform titles vs exclusive content (that wasn't Kinect). Last year it was all about Kinect. The market perception this year seemed to be that it was too much about Kinect.

3 - coming out a little better than MS and again much better than Nintendo was Sony. Same solid performance as MS but more balance across genres and - at least perceptually - more exclusive content. Coupled with a strong push around Vita - which unlike the Wii U was clearly explained and seemed to get a warm reception in general from analysts, etc. - while Sony didn't really wow (I'd argue no-one wowed at E3 really) they simply didn't really have any gaffes either. Hence, they (just) came out better in general perception so far as I can see.

That's my take on what the general perception was and why most (of course not all) coverage seems to put MS behind Sony and position Nintendo as having possibly really screwed up their big reveal.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

@thx1139

I was thinking this but as others have pointed out the slightly biased one sided view of some and the heavy slant towards other certain consoles meant it was not worth posting.

I do agree though that I was very happy with the E3 Conference as a whole including the Press conference. What I was little mystified about is why they did not make a massive song and dance about the cloud storage surely the removal of the need to rehome your account on each 360 is a massive pain in the arse and this would of been a massive plus on the day yet it seems to have just gone unnoticed by most. Even the beacon feature is pretty cool again buried. I was actually wondering how many other things just slipped under the carpet during this E3.

The only issue with the press conference for me was missing some important announcements as mentioned above and to much emphasis on certain Kinect games. What I did like is that they demonstrated most things on stage live even though I could of done without the Disneyland and Seasame street stuff I understand what it does for the catalogue.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
Gojimaster said:
Are you guys even that excited about Halo 4 after the disappointment that was Halo Reach?

To me, Halo has some of its luster in the FPS market. It used to be the undisputed champion, but CoD has taken Halo off its perch. A lot of other games are trying to outgun Halo such as Killzone, Crysis, and Battlefield. I think that Bungie's new project may also pull some of the focus from the new Halo games. Respawn studios also has a big FPS project in the pipeline. M$ is trying to make Halo an annual installment just like CoD.

Gears 3 was much more exciting to me than Halo 4. But I think Sony counters Gears 3 with Uncharted 3. Forza 4 should be great, but it is not a game that wins someone E3.

I think Sony beat M$ because they showed they are continuing to evolve new IPs and they are much more extensive in their 1st party game development. The Kinect exclusives were just a joke.

Why was Halo: Reach a dissapointment? It's my most played game of 2011 so far. Great campaign, better then Halo 3, great online multiplayer, and an addictive Firefight mode. I love it.

As big as many of those games you mentioned, the quality just isn't the same as Halo. Killzone is freaken amazing, but you can't even continue a co-op campaign in single player, and many of the multiplayer maps lack balance. Crysis 2 is also fun as hell, but again the multiplayer isn't as filled with people, and doesn't have as much to keep you comming back. It's too easy to camp kill in that game, especially with stealth. You also don't have as in depth of an experience/rewards system as Halo: reach in any of those games, and I think this is why Halo/CoD are so addictive.

Battlefield is fun online, I hope the third one sells a lot better, as the campaign doesn't look as corny anymore.

The problem with Halo is, they make these half ass Halo titles. ODST was pretty bad outside of the campaign, and even then it felt insignificant and unfinished. Halo Wars is a different genre which is fine, but the Halo brand name would be worth more if it wasn't for ODST ruining the reputation of this consistantly 9 Plus/10 franchise.

I'm not discounting your positive experience with Halo Reach, but this game hasn't been nearly as popular online as Halo 3 was. Halo 3 was the online king on Xbox Live for quite a while, Halo Reach hasn't really been able to obtain that crown-- it is consisently being beat out by several CoD games at once.  I would also have to disagree about the rewards system in Halo Reach... I personally thought it was pretty bad.  After one gets to a certain level it takes so long to level up that the incentive to keep trying to progress is lost.  I have about 50 friends on my friend's list and none of them still play Halo Reach, they played it for about 3-4 weeks and then it was over. Halo 4 needs to do a much better job keeping people engaged than Halo Reach did.  Halo Reach had a ton of great features, but I mean that it is a disappointment in that I don't think it lived up to the lofty heights established by Halo 3. 

Most anticipated games of 2011:

Uncharted 3,Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Rocksmith

Modern Warfare 3, Super Mario 3D

Reasonable said:
Let me answer from a different perspective - that of the general perception across multiple sources from blogs to mainline "straight" press and media as it seems to me having read a fair bit of it since E3:

1 - Despite strong support in some quarters Nintendo generally seemed to come out of E3 the worst was. They showed exclusive games (and lots of them), they showed cool stuff and seemed to confirm lots of developer support for their new console, but all of that was lost in the confusion of the Wii U launch, the mixed and often confused coverage of this, their stock price tumbling and so on. When you are in first place and bork the first main public announcement of your next model to the extent your share price tumbles, a lot of industry reporters aren't even sure if there was a console or not and senior execs are forced to publicly admit they may have missed the mark then you've not done well at all in terms of general perception.

2 - coming out much better I thought and in second place was MS. Solid performance overall but... too little focus on their current core (which like it or lump it remains what the 360 is far more about than Kinect at this point) vs Kinect meant MS got marked down in general for overplaying to an audience they may not even get vs the Wii and not delivering enough for the faithful. The leak of their 1 genuine big announcement, Halo 4, also took the sails from their conference somewhat. The final point of contention that was touched on in many places was too much focus on multi-platform titles vs exclusive content (that wasn't Kinect). Last year it was all about Kinect. The market perception this year seemed to be that it was too much about Kinect.

3 - coming out a little better than MS and again much better than Nintendo was Sony. Same solid performance as MS but more balance across genres and - at least perceptually - more exclusive content. Coupled with a strong push around Vita - which unlike the Wii U was clearly explained and seemed to get a warm reception in general from analysts, etc. - while Sony didn't really wow (I'd argue no-one wowed at E3 really) they simply didn't really have any gaffes either. Hence, they (just) came out better in general perception so far as I can see.

That's my take on what the general perception was and why most (of course not all) coverage seems to put MS behind Sony and position Nintendo as having possibly really screwed up their big reveal.

Great post, you live up to your name. xD

I agree about the lack of surprises, surprises make the conference. Good presentation and pacing helps as well. As bad as Microsoft E3's are, they always have the best presentation and the best surprises. Their conferences flow at an excellent pace, and they seem to split their E3's up into sections making it easier to digest, start with the hardcore, have casual filler in the middle and end it with a bombshell. Nintendo and SONY should take note of this.

Bioshock Infinite (Move Support Announcement)
Team ICO collection
Sorcery
Ruin
Dust 514
Last Guardian
Final Fantasy Versus XIII
Twisted Metal
Medievil moves

PS3 and 360 both a good amount of exclusives. You can't really say either one won, I thought both conference were relatively weak, but personally, I think Sony won just cause I'm a Sony Fan. Basically, it's a biased win for me.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Rpruett said:
enrageorange said:
Rpruett said:
thx1139 said:

I am talking about everything that went on at E3 not just the press conferences.

OK so I was on vacation last week and only paid partial attention to E3. I have watched the MS E3 presentation and seen many of the other 360 announcements made by MS and others post the presentation.  If it wasnt shown, but we know its coming I will not mention it. I wont mention multiplatform (I dont mean what may show up on PC) even if they have console specific features.

For 360 I see the following showcased titles (all week)

Gears 3 - September 2011
Forza 4 - October 2011
Halo CE Anniversary - November 2011
Halo 4 - 2012
Dance Central 2 - Holiday 2011
Kinect Sports 2 - Holiday 2011
Kinect Star Wars - Holiday 2011
Kinect Disneyland Adventures - November 2011
Ryse - 2012
Fable: The Journey - 2012
Minecraft - Winter 2011
Rise of Nightmares - Fall 2011
Sesame Street - Fall 2011
XCOM - 2012

New voice enabled Metro UI 360 dashboard with youtube, ufc, live tv, bing enabled integrated content search. New Xbox Live features include cloud storage, beacons.

Many new XBLA titles.

So I contrast that with the stuff I heard about for PS3 and Wii.

Wii
New Zelda - Fall 2011
New Kirby - Fall 2011

PS3
Resistance 3 - Fall 2011
Uncharted 3 - Fall 2011
Twisted Metal - Fall 2011
Starhawk - 2012
Sly Cooper 4 - 2012
PSP God of War titles packaged for PS3
As far as I know nothing new for PSN.

So what did I miss?  

Halo CE Anniversary - November 2011 (Even more Halo? Allegedly not run on Reach engine, made by people who made TimeShift.  Certainly not necessarily something to go crazy over (Just because the Halo namesake is stamped on it). 

Halo 4 - 2012 (Halo not made by Bungie with essentially no information on it, Reach released not even a year ago..Halo overload much?  Looked tossed into the mix just 'because its Halo and people will eat that up'.  Not playable, not showable, nothing... Just letting you know Halo 4 exists.  )  

While most of your comments I agree with, these just show blatant anger at a series for no reason. 

Halo CE Anniversary = even more halo? buts its ok that nearly every ps3 exclusive worth anything is getting an older or psp game remastered for the ps3.

Again, these remastered PS2 titles are not a big deal in my eyes.  Especially, when they are not even being remastered by the same team that created the games in the first place (In fact teams that have created fairly mediocre games).  I don't think these older re-releases stand as 'Big announcements'.   And I refuse to grant them that status just because 'HALO' is packaged onto them.    With these two new Halo games we will have officially 6 uses of the IP in just this generation alone.   That is overload by anyones standards except Guitar Hero/Activision.

Halo 4 is coming out two years after Halo Reach = halo overload much? yet its ok that uncharted 3 is coming out 2 years after uncharted 2. Killzone 3 also came out 2 years after killzone 2. O wait I completly forgot, only ps3 exclusives can have a sequel be made within two years.

(5) Halo FPS games this generation, versus 3 for Uncharted, 3 for ResistanceI'm sorry, that's a little too much for me to get overly excited about.  I can also say that I am less excited or hyped for a new Uncharted or Resistance than I was two years ago.

All others NEED MORE TIME. And please don't mention halo wars. It was a spinoff. Nearly every single huge ip, where it makes sense, has had spinoffs. Its just that sony has had only two truely huge ips, gran turismo and crash bandicoot. Spinoffs only made sense with crash. The only thing that truely was overboard was that microsoft charged $60 for dlc(Halo 3 Odst).

Regardless, 6 uses of the Halo IP this generation, 5 being FPS games (I believe that's even more than Mario Platformers).  That's effectively a Halo announcement for E3 every year the 360 has been on the market. I'd like to see you justify how that isn't an overload?  It's not just Halo.  Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, etc are all there too.   I'm sick of those franchises for the same reasons as well.

If Uncharted / Gears / Resistance / Forza release a 4th game this generation I will say the very same things about them as well.  That they have released too many.

Well Uncharted and Resistance are both on their 4th titles this generation.    

Uncharted Drakes Fortune
Uncharted 2 Among Theives
Uncharted 3 Drakes Deception
Uncharted Golden Abyss

Resistance Fall of Man
Resistance 2
Resistance 3
Resistance Retribution

it is because of kinect!.. it is all about kinect!.. they eat sleep kinect!