By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Explain to me how PS3 and Wii had better E3 than 360

Michael-5 said:

Nowhere do they say specifically PS3 > 360.

• Nguy says he only gave Sony a better score then Microsoft as a whole because of PSV.
  • Andy basically said PS3=360, except PSV saved Sony, and even with PSV, if MS put less emphasis on Kinect, they could have tied
  • Jeff is the same story. New hardware made the Sony Press Conference better.

No one states that PS3 > 360 except for a few forum members. No large scale review agency, no nothing. The reason why this thread was created was likely to adress why forum users think PS3/Wii > 360.

If all you want is a large scale review agency saying that PS3 showing was better than 360 here ya go:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-software-best-of-e3/716600

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
oniyide said:
Michael-5 said:
oniyide said:

Are you kidding? all that stuff you said sounds cool, but it will NOT be in this Fable Kinect game. Pete didnt mention any of those features, so im just gonna assume they will not be in the final game, at least for now. How the hell do you expect to move in a 3d world with just Kinect?? I havent seen a game do it yet. Im not saying it wont appeal to Fable fans, dont know where your getting that, hell the on rail REs appeal to RE fans, thats the point of those games. Cash in on the name of a popular franchise. FYI, did you read the part where he said that most of the game will be on a horse??

You do know Fable Kinect has movement? One big think Lionhead Studios was ripped on about was that people thought Fable: The Journey was "on rails." However it isn't it has free world exploring. Most likely not as expansive as Fable 1-3, but you can move around. Remember the Ghost Recon Kinect demo? Remember for a breif moment he played that game using only the Kinect controller? He moved forward by stepping forward, and shot by sticking up all his fingers.

What is RE? Fable: The Journey is not on rails. Peter Monyloux explained tha, and he said he should have showed other footage in the game then just that. From what i hear from Peter Monyloux, what I explained is what he wants, but knowing him, we won't get it until Fable: The Second Journey.

I read how most of the game you will ride a horse. Is that suppose to be bad? You ride a horse all the time in Ocarina of Time in Hyrule.

I'm not trying to argue Fable: TJ will be as good as Fable 1-3, but only that it won't be bad. I'm not ready to write off the game until it's closer to release.

where going to have to agree to disagree, because i have little faith in the game. For the sake of Fable fans and Kinect enthusiasts everywhere i hope im wrong. RE is Resident Evil. And are you serious???OOT you dont have the use the horse if you dont want and most of that game is spent in dungeons where there are no horses to be used, did you even play that game?

That's really cool, and I wish more people on this website debated like you. deep enough to understand each other, but we actually listen to each other.

For RE, I didn't know where that came from, but good analogy. To be fair, both Wii RE Rail shooters got scores above 8/10, and although they weren't as major as a mainstream RE4 or RE5 title, I still consider them core experiences for the Wii. I should pick up those games, love RE.

I've beaten almost every Zelda out there, my point was riding Epona and playing those mini-games was still fun.

I like the RE analogy, I feel Fable: The Journey will be like that, just longer (those shooters are only 5 hours long), and well not on Rails. It will be a good spinoff, but a spinoff none-the-less. I don't have too much faith in anything Fable, but I haven't seen enough to eliminate Fable as a core title. It's definatly not designed to appeal to a family or broad audience.

i like those RE shooters myself, but then again i like those kinds of on rail arcadey games anyway, hell im not even a huge RE fan. But that brings me to another point, its hard to screw up an onrails shooter. But Fable Kinect is a completly different beast and there are so MANY margin for errors, i doubt that P.M. will avoid them all. Had it been another dev, i would have been more optimistic. Fable the Journeys not being on rails will be nothing like those RE shooters, it wont even be in the same genre.I never said it wasnt a core title, i know it is, but that doesnt mean it will be good either. Hell i think Just Dance freaking 3 will turn out to be a better product and thats a casual game. Horse minigames are fun, but you willing to spend 50 bucks on that, especially if it was advertised as not being a minigame??

Michael-5 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Michael-5 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Kinect Fable isnt the same as the fable franchise (which fell way down hill after two). Three was good but not great and nowhere near what Molyneux made it out to be. Molyneux is so desperate to prove how great the Kinect is as is going to put the final nail in his own games coffin by betting there is a core crowd for it. The core with a kinect will probably buy it from name value, but it isn't core. You do know the major thing that seperates casual titles from the core right? I bet you know what that big answer is! Don't hide it! lol

Peter Molyneux always over-hypes his games, and he never meets expectations.

Kinect games can be core, I already showed you. That very link you posed which defined casual games, does not label Fable: The Journey a casual game. It is not being developed for families or for a broad audience, it is being developed for Fable RPG fans.

It's core, weather you like it or not. You swung, and missed, now get over it.

360 had a better press conference then PS3 did this E3, but not by much. In the end, they were all bad. The only AAA title announced was Halo 4, that alone gives 360 the best conference. What really good game did Sony announce? Dust 514, yea I bet you have never played Eve Online, Console MMO's don't work. Starhawk? Yea a sequel to an 8/10 game pssh. Or Sly Cooper, no bigger game then any of the Kinect titles MS talked about.

lol you dont get it do you? Without a controller anyone can play the game. They've broken the wall between the casuals and core, thus making the game casual yet open for all to enjoy. An RPG without the complexities of the way we game with a controller is exactly what casuals need to see what we see in gaming. In essence, if the game isnt a rail title, then you can definitely not only(much like other kinect titles) ride the movies, but actually be in the movie. Lets see how this goes.

Why does not having a controller do that? What's so different between making a hand command then pressing a button?

If I can play a hardcore FPS such as ghost recon without a controller, isn't it possible to make an RPG with deep controls? Like I said earlier, Fable was always a simple game, by replacing A with actually jumping, and XYB buttons with hand commands, and the analog stick with leaning, we aren't exactly dumbing down the game. We could in fact remove sub menus for magic, and the emotion wheel with hand gestures, giving more commands possible then with a conventional controller.

This may help casual gamers jump into Fable, but by no means does it make Fable a casual game.

Take oniyide's analogy to Resident Evil. The on rails Resident Evil games, although more accessable to casual gamers, are still core titles. Fable is in a similar boat now, although it isn't on rails and the controls will likely be more sophisticated, it still likely won't be of the same quality as a mainstream Resident Evil game.

So if anything, treat Fable: The Journey to be like ODST was to Halo. Still a great game, any Fable fan will accept, but not as good as the mainstream titles. Still, by all definitions you have provided, a core experience.

P.S. Isn't Sly Cooper the same idea? A "game casual yet open for all to enjoy." as you put Fable? Why ignore Fable, but count Sly Cooper as a core experience?

Anything on a controller is more complex, because its mind and muscle memory of fingers. Most gamers (casual) dont have the time or dont know how to game like we do. Sky Cooper is not the same idea. Think of Sly Cooper like you would Super Mario or Crash bandicoot...platforming nostaglia for gamers but easy enough for casuals to learn without freaking out. Even still for a casual, instead of naturally testing every button, they would run to the instruction manual. most people do, but gamers usually do for more than basic reasoning because once weve graduated from one title we move on to the next. If it is within a popular genre we know the basics. (IE: If you have played infamous, Assassins Creed isnt far down your alley.) Kinect titles make it so the learning curve is extremely small, limiting you only to the movement of your body, instead of having to memorize complex controls. Even the Fable titles would even the newest casual 15 minutes to learn at the shortest. With Kinect titles, all you have to do is step in the game. There is no barrier. If you cannot win in dance central, then really all it means is you suck at dancing. If Kinect was used to the full potential we all grew up thinking about games of its ilk, alternate reality titles are not far off in the future. As I said Stop thinking about controllers or core when you think kinect, you are the controller. This is what makes it different and special.

P.S.
Check Gamespot to see if they still have the learning curve box. You'll see what I mean when you see it. It basically tells you how fast the average gamer would take to learn a title in case you are interested in a title you've never played before. I havent checked it out in a couple of years.

Torillian said:
Michael-5 said:

Nowhere do they say specifically PS3 > 360.

• Nguy says he only gave Sony a better score then Microsoft as a whole because of PSV.
  • Andy basically said PS3=360, except PSV saved Sony, and even with PSV, if MS put less emphasis on Kinect, they could have tied
  • Jeff is the same story. New hardware made the Sony Press Conference better.

No one states that PS3 > 360 except for a few forum members. No large scale review agency, no nothing. The reason why this thread was created was likely to adress why forum users think PS3/Wii > 360.

If all you want is a large scale review agency saying that PS3 showing was better than 360 here ya go:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-software-best-of-e3/716600

Cool never saw that one.

Still it's a close call in the end, dunno why everyone is heckling at me for saying so. Kinect isn't all bad

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

oniyide said:
Michael-5 said:

That's really cool, and I wish more people on this website debated like you. deep enough to understand each other, but we actually listen to each other.

For RE, I didn't know where that came from, but good analogy. To be fair, both Wii RE Rail shooters got scores above 8/10, and although they weren't as major as a mainstream RE4 or RE5 title, I still consider them core experiences for the Wii. I should pick up those games, love RE.

I've beaten almost every Zelda out there, my point was riding Epona and playing those mini-games was still fun.

I like the RE analogy, I feel Fable: The Journey will be like that, just longer (those shooters are only 5 hours long), and well not on Rails. It will be a good spinoff, but a spinoff none-the-less. I don't have too much faith in anything Fable, but I haven't seen enough to eliminate Fable as a core title. It's definatly not designed to appeal to a family or broad audience.

i like those RE shooters myself, but then again i like those kinds of on rail arcadey games anyway, hell im not even a huge RE fan. But that brings me to another point, its hard to screw up an onrails shooter. But Fable Kinect is a completly different beast and there are so MANY margin for errors, i doubt that P.M. will avoid them all. Had it been another dev, i would have been more optimistic. Fable the Journeys not being on rails will be nothing like those RE shooters, it wont even be in the same genre.I never said it wasnt a core title, i know it is, but that doesnt mean it will be good either. Hell i think Just Dance freaking 3 will turn out to be a better product and thats a casual game. Horse minigames are fun, but you willing to spend 50 bucks on that, especially if it was advertised as not being a minigame??

Well yea, this I agree with. I am a little more optimistic about Fable:TJ then you are, but it has a very good chance of being crap. To be, Fable is an average RPG, and I think TJ will be an average....action game? They have kind of switched genres.

PM always fails on his promises, but his games turn out to be....okay. I think TJ will be the same. If we were to look at all upcoming games for the 360, Fable: TJ still counts. Kinect doesn't matter, it's still a game for the core, and who knows, it may surprise us.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Michael-5 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Michael-5 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Kinect Fable isnt the same as the fable franchise (which fell way down hill after two). Three was good but not great and nowhere near what Molyneux made it out to be. Molyneux is so desperate to prove how great the Kinect is as is going to put the final nail in his own games coffin by betting there is a core crowd for it. The core with a kinect will probably buy it from name value, but it isn't core. You do know the major thing that seperates casual titles from the core right? I bet you know what that big answer is! Don't hide it! lol

Peter Molyneux always over-hypes his games, and he never meets expectations.

Kinect games can be core, I already showed you. That very link you posed which defined casual games, does not label Fable: The Journey a casual game. It is not being developed for families or for a broad audience, it is being developed for Fable RPG fans.

It's core, weather you like it or not. You swung, and missed, now get over it.

360 had a better press conference then PS3 did this E3, but not by much. In the end, they were all bad. The only AAA title announced was Halo 4, that alone gives 360 the best conference. What really good game did Sony announce? Dust 514, yea I bet you have never played Eve Online, Console MMO's don't work. Starhawk? Yea a sequel to an 8/10 game pssh. Or Sly Cooper, no bigger game then any of the Kinect titles MS talked about.

lol you dont get it do you? Without a controller anyone can play the game. They've broken the wall between the casuals and core, thus making the game casual yet open for all to enjoy. An RPG without the complexities of the way we game with a controller is exactly what casuals need to see what we see in gaming. In essence, if the game isnt a rail title, then you can definitely not only(much like other kinect titles) ride the movies, but actually be in the movie. Lets see how this goes.

Why does not having a controller do that? What's so different between making a hand command then pressing a button?

If I can play a hardcore FPS such as ghost recon without a controller, isn't it possible to make an RPG with deep controls? Like I said earlier, Fable was always a simple game, by replacing A with actually jumping, and XYB buttons with hand commands, and the analog stick with leaning, we aren't exactly dumbing down the game. We could in fact remove sub menus for magic, and the emotion wheel with hand gestures, giving more commands possible then with a conventional controller.

This may help casual gamers jump into Fable, but by no means does it make Fable a casual game.

Take oniyide's analogy to Resident Evil. The on rails Resident Evil games, although more accessable to casual gamers, are still core titles. Fable is in a similar boat now, although it isn't on rails and the controls will likely be more sophisticated, it still likely won't be of the same quality as a mainstream Resident Evil game.

So if anything, treat Fable: The Journey to be like ODST was to Halo. Still a great game, any Fable fan will accept, but not as good as the mainstream titles. Still, by all definitions you have provided, a core experience.

P.S. Isn't Sly Cooper the same idea? A "game casual yet open for all to enjoy." as you put Fable? Why ignore Fable, but count Sly Cooper as a core experience?

Anything on a controller is more complex, because its mind and muscle memory of fingers. Most gamers (casual) dont have the time or dont know how to game like we do. Sky Cooper is not the same idea. Think of Sly Cooper like you would Super Mario or Crash bandicoot...platforming nostaglia for gamers but easy enough for casuals to learn without freaking out. Even still for a casual, instead of naturally testing every button, they would run to the instruction manual. most people do, but gamers usually do for more than basic reasoning because once weve graduated from one title we move on to the next. If it is within a popular genre we know the basics. (IE: If you have played infamous, Assassins Creed isnt far down your alley.) Kinect titles make it so the learning curve is extremely small, limiting you only to the movement of your body, instead of having to memorize complex controls. Even the Fable titles would even the newest casual 15 minutes to learn at the shortest. With Kinect titles, all you have to do is step in the game. There is no barrier. If you cannot win in dance central, then really all it means is you suck at dancing. If Kinect was used to the full potential we all grew up thinking about games of its ilk, alternate reality titles are not far off in the future. As I said Stop thinking about controllers or core when you think kinect, you are the controller. This is what makes it different and special.

P.S.
Check Gamespot to see if they still have the learning curve box. You'll see what I mean when you see it. It basically tells you how fast the average gamer would take to learn a title in case you are interested in a title you've never played before. I havent checked it out in a couple of years.

Controller free gaming is a new concept, how can you already pass off any core Kinect title, without playing any? Common, you're being silly now, Ryse will be the first core Kinect title, lets just wait and see how gamers react to it, and see the limitations of Kinect. Let's see how responsive the system is to subtle commands, maybe you will be surprised to see these games are actually deeper then you imagined.

Ghost Recon is playable hands free, so it's obvious hands-free gaming can work with core games. With the recognition of finger commands, Ryse could be one really fun game from Crytek.

Also Steel Battallion for XB required a $150 controller to play with over 30 buttons. The sequel is a Kinect title. If Kinect was so easy to learn, how the heck are they going to implement such advanced controls?

Who the heck said all Kinect titles will have a short learning curve? I had much much more trouble learning Dance Central 2 then I did Valkeria Chronicles. Both games were new genres to me, but Dance Central was really hard, and that's a casual game. You're learning curve arguement is very biased. You assume core Kinect titles will have short learning curves, despite being completly different genres then what core gamers are used to. It will be easier for a core gamer to pick up a controller and play Ghost Recon, then use the Kinect controller, thus the learning curve is actually steeper.

You're whole arguement is bs. Kinect is capable of very sophisticated and advanced control schemes. You pass it off as a gimmick, but I really doubt you ever played with the hardware before. Some of the most control heavy games are becoming Kinect titles, and if the camera were incapable of picking up subtle hand gestures, I doubt that would be happening.

I'm just done debating with you. You have a pre-conceived notion about Kinect, and won't let it go. According to you, no Kinect title can be a core game, because the learning curves are too small. However there isn't a single core Kinect game out, so how you assume that, makes no sense to me. You want to ignore Kinect games as core titles, fine, but seriously just because you are not interested in the exclusive core games for a system, doesn't mean they aren't there. I don't ignore Sly, you shouldn't ignore Fable, simple as that. Not everyone shares your view on gaming, and you should learn to accept that.

P.S. No learning curve box on gamespot, but in newer reviews they give a list of pros and cons, and being overly difficult or easy is listed as a con in some games, like Demon's Souls. Regardless, if you consider Fable casual, I think Sly Cooper falls in the same boat. You give Sly far too much credit, it's a very simple game too.

Just look at the success Child of Eden is having on the Kinect, it required very quick precise movements, and multiple gestures to be used at this same time and you are telling me that's not a core game. People are way to quick to write off titles or hardware before even seeing what devs can do with it. With Ryse, Blackwater, Fable, Minecraft, Rise of Nightmares, and several other core games in the works how can write them off before even seeing gameplay or trying it yourself. The peripheral has a ton of upside people just need to be open-minded going in and leaving their controller behind if required.

Michael-5 said:
brendude13 said:
Michael-5 said:
brendude13 said:

The XBOX 360 is set to have its weakest year so far while the PS3 is set to have its best year so far. I just wouldn't expect to hear something like that when the XBOX 360 has next to no exclusives game coming out in the near future outside of Kinect games and the flagship titles like Halo, Gears and Forza.

I understand now because you were including Kinect titles, don't worry, I was thinking more about hardcore games.

But a lot of upcoming Kinect titles are core, even though most aren't. Steel Batallion, Rise of Nightmares, Ryse, and debatably Fable.

It is true though, that MS needs to establish a new IP. Those Kinect games won't be AAA, but they may sell close to what Sly Cooper sells.

Then agin, do you consider something like Sly Cooper hardcore, or casual?

Core =/= Good

I don't have faith in any "core" Kinect game, it just doesn't seem feasible to have core controls with a Kinect game. I was focusing on games from highly rated and well respected developers, preferably without motion controls.

It would be great to see a new IP from Microsoft, they need to throw some spare change at Rare and kick their asses back into gear.

As for Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, I wouldn't call it hardcore or casual, it's a game for everyone. I haven't actually played it and I don't plan to either, but it reminds me of Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, it's a game that both casual and hardcore audiences can love.

A game for everyone huh? So where do you draw the line for a casual experience? Is Mario Kart casual, or for everyone? What about Just Dance, or Wii Sports?

As for a "core" Kinect game. I can see why anyone would be skeptical. Remember how many people were skeptical of Wii when it came out? However it works, Metroid Prime 3 is probably the funnest FPS I have ever played, but most good Wii games don't use the Wii-mote to it's fullest (Smash Bros, Mario Kart, etc).

However showing "core" Kinect games, skeptical as most gamers might be, they are still "core." It's just not traditional controller based core games, and I'll agree MS definatly needs more traditional games.

Mario Kart is a game for everybody, it's simple and fun. Wii sports is crossing the line, moving into a casual title, Just Dance steps way over the line.

And can you blame me for being skeptical, the difference between the Wii and Kinect is that the Wii has buttons (as Sony like to put it). Body movements cannot replace 17 buttons and 2 triggers, I stand by my word when I say every Kinect game will have to be on rails as well. Only a minority of hardcore game can be on rails, panzer dragoon for example or an arcade shooter.

Michael-5 said:
oniyide said:
Michael-5 said:

Well yea, this I agree with. I am a little more optimistic about Fable:TJ then you are, but it has a very good chance of being crap. To be, Fable is an average RPG, and I think TJ will be an average....action game? They have kind of switched genres.

PM always fails on his promises, but his games turn out to be....okay. I think TJ will be the same. If we were to look at all upcoming games for the 360, Fable: TJ still counts. Kinect doesn't matter, it's still a game for the core, and who knows, it may surprise us.

Fables TJ turns out to be ok, just like the rest of the overhyped series??? That i can get behind. And although i dont even have a 360 let alone Kinect at least MS is trying to get some core and differenct games on their add-on and just not exercise game number 42 that some other companies like to peddle, that rhymes with mentindo.

brendude13 said:
Michael-5 said:
brendude13 said:
Michael-5 said:
brendude13 said:

The XBOX 360 is set to have its weakest year so far while the PS3 is set to have its best year so far. I just wouldn't expect to hear something like that when the XBOX 360 has next to no exclusives game coming out in the near future outside of Kinect games and the flagship titles like Halo, Gears and Forza.

I understand now because you were including Kinect titles, don't worry, I was thinking more about hardcore games.

But a lot of upcoming Kinect titles are core, even though most aren't. Steel Batallion, Rise of Nightmares, Ryse, and debatably Fable.

It is true though, that MS needs to establish a new IP. Those Kinect games won't be AAA, but they may sell close to what Sly Cooper sells.

Then agin, do you consider something like Sly Cooper hardcore, or casual?

Core =/= Good

I don't have faith in any "core" Kinect game, it just doesn't seem feasible to have core controls with a Kinect game. I was focusing on games from highly rated and well respected developers, preferably without motion controls.

It would be great to see a new IP from Microsoft, they need to throw some spare change at Rare and kick their asses back into gear.

As for Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, I wouldn't call it hardcore or casual, it's a game for everyone. I haven't actually played it and I don't plan to either, but it reminds me of Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, it's a game that both casual and hardcore audiences can love.

A game for everyone huh? So where do you draw the line for a casual experience? Is Mario Kart casual, or for everyone? What about Just Dance, or Wii Sports?

As for a "core" Kinect game. I can see why anyone would be skeptical. Remember how many people were skeptical of Wii when it came out? However it works, Metroid Prime 3 is probably the funnest FPS I have ever played, but most good Wii games don't use the Wii-mote to it's fullest (Smash Bros, Mario Kart, etc).

However showing "core" Kinect games, skeptical as most gamers might be, they are still "core." It's just not traditional controller based core games, and I'll agree MS definatly needs more traditional games.

Mario Kart is a game for everybody, it's simple and fun. Wii sports is crossing the line, moving into a casual title, Just Dance steps way over the line.

And can you blame me for being skeptical, the difference between the Wii and Kinect is that the Wii has buttons (as Sony like to put it). Body movements cannot replace 17 buttons and 2 triggers, I stand by my word when I say every Kinect game will have to be on rails as well. Only a minority of hardcore game can be on rails, panzer dragoon for example or an arcade shooter.

A Wiimote only has 12 buttons, including the trigger and 2 other back buttons, and an analog stick. Easily replicated with Kinect.

Ghost Recon can run entirely on Kinect, I think we will have to wait and see how Kinect core titles look like.

But I agree with you, On Rails shooters will probably be the best of the Kinect core lineup, and looking at reviews for Child of Eden, that can be really really good. I hope Project Draco turns into a Panzer Dragoon title.

However if you take a game like Steel Batallion, and make leaning = movement, it coild still work. We really have to wait and see.

It's cool to be skeptical, not trying to change your opinion, but there are upcoming core games for Kinect. That's all I want to prove. You can just look at E3 and immediatly ignore every Kinect title, a lot of them have potential. After all Dance Central is an 8/10, and child of Eden for 360 got 8.9/10 on this website. Kinect can produce quality games.