By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Explain to me how PS3 and Wii had better E3 than 360

It wasn't just the Wii and PS3 though.

It was 360 and Kinect vs. PS3 and Vita vs. Wii/U and 3DS.

Look at it that way. That's why they won.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
selnor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
selnor said:
The thread is rediculous because we are on vgsony. I mean vgchart
Anything against Sony is met in force by 80% of the sites users.

The consensus all around is that Microsoft lost E3. They marketed it to the core and most sites and people rated it Nintendo> Sony> Microsoft or Sony> Nintendo> Microsoft. It's not just this site. If we're talking about the general audience of people who dont really game and would game casually then Nintendo>Microsoft>Sony. It's that simple.

I couldn't care.

Goty so far?

Child of Eden. Unbelievable experience. Best motion controlled game ever and immersion like nothing else.

I'll go back to my goty now.

If you didnt care you wouldnt have labeled people. Plain and simple.

lurkerwithnosoul said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
theARTIST0017 said:
Skyward Sword > > > Halo 4

I second this motion. I used to like Halo, but I've become burned out. Zelda has never burned me out. Nintendo keeps their games interesting.

I am way more fan of Zelda than Halo and even i know how much more irregular this series is than Halo. It's not even comparable, since Halo has usually the same gameplay and has a well-defined story and time-line.

Zelda has too much changes from game to game. How do you relate for example, OoT to WW? Or Twilight Princess to Spirit Tracks? Or Major'as Mask to Four Swords Adventures? All of them are mothership titles.

So, by the standards of some people here, you should expect nothing from Zelda. Since it won't be anything like the previous one (which is true, since the previous one was Spirit Tracks).

To me and many others out there, Halo is a generic shooter. Its good yes but Zelda beats it.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

S.T.A.G.E. said:
selnor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
selnor said:

The consensus all around is that Microsoft lost E3. They marketed it to the core and most sites and people rated it Nintendo> Sony> Microsoft or Sony> Nintendo> Microsoft. It's not just this site. If we're talking about the general audience of people who dont really game and would game casually then Nintendo>Microsoft>Sony. It's that simple.

I couldn't care.

Goty so far?

Child of Eden. Unbelievable experience. Best motion controlled game ever and immersion like nothing else.

I explained to the people saying it was rediculous thread why. Not because I cared.

Ah what's the use.

selnor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
selnor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
selnor said:

I couldn't care.

Goty so far?

I explained to the people saying it was rediculous thread why. Not because I cared.

Ah what's the use.

The question of the thread was asking why the gamer consensus that the PS3 and Wii had a better showing than the 360 at E3. It wasnt just Sony. It was a good question. People gave reasons. Microsoft forgot that when they are showing games off its mainly the core whom are mainly watching. Unless they are showing off new hardware the casuals will not notice. This is why kinect had such a good year last year. Yahoo, google, late night tv and news stations all aired the new hardware for casuals last year. This year?...all nintendo. Casuals dont care about vita.

Around the Network
thx1139 said:

I am talking about everything that went on at E3 not just the press conferences.

OK so I was on vacation last week and only paid partial attention to E3. I have watched the MS E3 presentation and seen many of the other 360 announcements made by MS and others post the presentation.  If it wasnt shown, but we know its coming I will not mention it. I wont mention multiplatform (I dont mean what may show up on PC) even if they have console specific features.

For 360 I see the following showcased titles (all week)

Gears 3 - September 2011
Forza 4 - October 2011
Halo CE Anniversary - November 2011
Halo 4 - 2012
Dance Central 2 - Holiday 2011
Kinect Sports 2 - Holiday 2011
Kinect Star Wars - Holiday 2011
Kinect Disneyland Adventures - November 2011
Ryse - 2012
Fable: The Journey - 2012
Minecraft - Winter 2011
Rise of Nightmares - Fall 2011
Sesame Street - Fall 2011
XCOM - 2012

New voice enabled Metro UI 360 dashboard with youtube, ufc, live tv, bing enabled integrated content search. New Xbox Live features include cloud storage, beacons.

Many new XBLA titles.

So I contrast that with the stuff I heard about for PS3 and Wii.

Wii
New Zelda - Fall 2011
New Kirby - Fall 2011

PS3
Resistance 3 - Fall 2011
Uncharted 3 - Fall 2011
Twisted Metal - Fall 2011
Starhawk - 2012
Sly Cooper 4 - 2012
PSP God of War titles packaged for PS3
As far as I know nothing new for PSN.

So what did I miss?  

u missed a lot of things..... Sony showed 6 New exclusive ips for 2012 (3 of them are for hardcore gamers -Dust, Star Track, PayDay) + 8 new Psn games comming this year(Go to Gametrailers) most of the hardcore titels that Microsoft showed are comming to PS3

BanTiger said:
thx1139 said:

I am talking about everything that went on at E3 not just the press conferences.

OK so I was on vacation last week and only paid partial attention to E3. I have watched the MS E3 presentation and seen many of the other 360 announcements made by MS and others post the presentation.  If it wasnt shown, but we know its coming I will not mention it. I wont mention multiplatform (I dont mean what may show up on PC) even if they have console specific features.

For 360 I see the following showcased titles (all week)

Gears 3 - September 2011
Forza 4 - October 2011
Halo CE Anniversary - November 2011
Halo 4 - 2012
Dance Central 2 - Holiday 2011
Kinect Sports 2 - Holiday 2011
Kinect Star Wars - Holiday 2011
Kinect Disneyland Adventures - November 2011
Ryse - 2012
Fable: The Journey - 2012
Minecraft - Winter 2011
Rise of Nightmares - Fall 2011
Sesame Street - Fall 2011
XCOM - 2012

New voice enabled Metro UI 360 dashboard with youtube, ufc, live tv, bing enabled integrated content search. New Xbox Live features include cloud storage, beacons.

Many new XBLA titles.

So I contrast that with the stuff I heard about for PS3 and Wii.

Wii
New Zelda - Fall 2011
New Kirby - Fall 2011

PS3
Resistance 3 - Fall 2011
Uncharted 3 - Fall 2011
Twisted Metal - Fall 2011
Starhawk - 2012
Sly Cooper 4 - 2012
PSP God of War titles packaged for PS3
As far as I know nothing new for PSN.

So what did I miss?  

u missed a lot of things..... Sony showed 6 New exclusive ips for 2012 (3 of them are for hardcore gamers -Dust, Star Track, PayDay) + 8 new Psn games comming this year(Go to Gametrailers) most of the hardcore titels that Microsoft showed are comming to PS3

Lol he missed a ton of games for Sonys 2012 year.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

We could make a general list and Sony would still have a stronger army of titles from start to finish.

In your opinion, which is worthless to the rest of us.

Try it if you wish. It has nothing to do with my standards.

Yes it does...

I've had this argument with Michael before showing him how even adding Move titles to Sony's arsenal could make arguing about the consoles titles even less in anyones favor who argues towards Microsoft. Yes, its preference, but lets be real here, look at the strength of the library as a whole.

Once again, your opinion and completely worthless.

To be truthful I'd rather keep casual titles out of the argument because those arent the true games which give a console lasting value.

LMAO, Now I know you are full of crap. If casual titles didn't sell consoles, then why is the Wii doing so well? Why is Move and Kinect selling like mad?

When most of us on this site talk about games which will grab gamers attention, AAA exclusives are usually the titles we focus on. I've become accustomed to it, hence why we tend to ignore the casual by default, because on gamer sites like this, you can call 99% of us core gamers. E3 was mainly viewed by core gamers, which is why Microsofts showing was considered the most underwhelming. If it was viewed mostly by the general public who could only give a care about gaming in passing then Microsofts show would be an A+. Secondly, as i've said before in other posts, for Microsoft to assume there is a core market (for Kinect) is quite risky as the kinect has only been around a year and only garnered true value around one franchise (which shows you truthfully where your market is stemming from).

Yet it continues to sell well. MS made a smart move with Kinect. And putting more support behind it will only serve to boost the sales numbers of both Kinect units, and 360s.

Core gamers tend to waver to titles with stable or complex control schemes. Casual titles gather people who dont really game and give them momentary pleasure, whilst the core titles can have lasting effects and change the core gamers impression of system A, B or C via their exclusives.

Yet, core gamers make up a small percentage of todays gamers, this may have been true in the past, but this is 2011, grandma is gaming with her grandchildren now.

Casual titles are a passing glance if any. It's like going to universal studios. Oh yes....I forgot....you can now go to the Disney theme park with kinect on a rail. If you view AAA titles and casual titles as equal...then as erroneous as I believe that is, it's still your opinion and I cannot change that.

Once again, you are living in 2003, the demographics have changed drastically with core gamers making up a much smaller percentage of total gamers. Your whole argument is utterly useless now.

"with great power, comes great responsibility."

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Michael-5 said:

Wait....what AAA titles does Sony have coming out? The only high profile game announced at E3 this year was Halo 4, did I miss something big?

If you only debated core AAA games, then MS psns Sony. Forza 4, Gears 3, The Witcher 2, and Halo 4 next year, and Sony has Uncharted 3, Resistance 3 and The Last Guardian next year. However, like I always say, 1 or two game difference, who gives a hoothoot.

Thing is you debate "core" games, but then ignore "core" games that you're not interested in. Fable: The Journey, and Ryse being key ones. Also casual or not, Just Dance 2 is a fun ass game, and definatly should count in any silly comparisions. You complain about 360 not having enough variety, and then you dismiss the variety given, make up your mind.

Here you go again listing only Q4 of the year instead of the year as a whole. Our argument is Microsoft and Sonys year as a whole. Microsoft PWNed nothing. I have too many friends who had to sit and watch (and still are) me play my PS3 because their 360 has no exclusives. Then we all go and play third party games and talk about it. Ok...you want to add Halo four to the list ? A game coming next year? This makes the argument sadder and easier. Make a list right now of the top 360 exclusives between this year and next year and I will open up some hurt by listing the 2011-2012 Sony list. This is where I love Sony's theory on having stronger first party is correct. I cannot wait for the list. Since you like creating lists show me this years exclusives and next years. You have a very contradictory style now talking about AAA exclusives and then agreeing with the other guys that casual titles should be added to the list.  Either way....its still a loss.

The thread title is about E3, "Explain to me how PS3 and Wii had better E3 than 360."

Why would I talk about games already released. I have, since E3, only been talking about E3 press shows and upcoming games.

If we talk about past 2011 games, why stop there? I already said Sony will have a better 2011 overall, what more do you want? I even showed you pre-2011, 360 had significantly more exclusives. I thought we were done with that, what else do you need to clarify?

2011 as a whole PS3 > 360, Upcoming games 360 > PS3, 2009 and prior 360 >PS3, and even though in 2010 360 had more exclusives then PS3, I'll say 2010 360 = PS3.

Exclusives between this E3 and next for 360: Halo: CEA, Forza 4, The Witcher 2, and Gears of War 3 I'll get. Then there is Rise of Nightmares, Dance Central 2, and Steel Batallion. PS3: Uncharted 3 is the only exclusive I plan to get, but there is also Resistance 3, Dust 514, and Twisted Metal......360 Still wins buddy, now stop changing the arguement, stop excluding good games because you're not interested in them, and stop with this bull. Dunno what you're trying to prove, PS3 is still an awesome system, 360 just had a better E3 then the PS3 portion of Sony's Press Conference.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Michael-5 said:

Ryse is not core? I bet you it will be much harder for someone like you or me to pick up and learn the controls. This is just insane, then how is Sly core, but Ryse not? Think about it, M rated game built where you can gouge someones eyes out, or cell-shaded platformer?

I watch all Bonus rounds, what you say is your interpretation. They never say MS has given up on the non-kinect user base, they just say that that userbase is getting a lot smaller now, at least on the 360.

I'm sorry, but your definition of a "core" title removes a lot of core games like Super Mario Galaxy, Donkey Kong Country, Mario Kart, Sly, etc. None of these games have complicated learning curces (with DKCR it's just move and jump).

You're picking and choosing games to include in a debate based off preference. Fable Kinect is as much of a core title as Fable, the only difference between the games is The Journey has no controller. Ryse is also an M rated game, definatly not something built for casual gamers. That would be like calling Killzone a casual game, just insane.

When you use youre definition of core, you basically eliminate Wii's entire lineup except Metroid and Zelda, and that's complete BS. Ryse is as much of a core game as Starhawk, it was built by Crytek, for the core audience. Just because you're not interested, doesn't mean it's not a game "core" gamers can experience on the 360, but not the PS3.

It wont be hard to learn Ryse, hence why its called casual. Secondly you pick and choose games by prefrence. As I said before, I could list the whole Sony lineup for 2011, but you would disregard it because of your preference in waiting for Q4 releases when all the only 360 AAA  titles come out for the year. You chose to disregard that Sony has been giving giving out quality titles year round.

Secondly, my definition of core does NOT remove Super Mario Galaxy, Donkey Kong or Mario Kart, because all of those games have a learning curve, and it seems like you dont remember our old conversation because this the same thing you accused me of before. My definition of core seems to be the media idea as well. Secondly I've told you already that Microsoft and Sony already seem to have similar audience of taste in their core section, who mainly play based on preference of system or have both. The Wii has its own loyal core fanbase, whom are loyal to their first party IP's complex or not. Nintendo stands out, hence why this gen turned out this way and Sony and Microsoft followed suit. Nintendo is the only company who can appeal to everyone with a gimmick. Kinect has none and Microsoft have none and Sony definitely doesn't have Crash (Sony's highest selling casual exclusive) or Spyro anymore whom the casuals remember so well from two gens ago when the Playstation was sucking up third party exclusives. Much like Nintendo said at E3 they are contradiction.

http://www.casualgamesassociation.org/faq.php

Look at the casual games associations concept of what a casual title is.

Ryse is one of the first Kinect games to use finger controls. Individual finger commands, such as gouging someones eyes, will be recognized by Kinect. However there will be many different types of ways to attack and defend in Ryse. A "core" gamer should have much more trouble learning to play this game then Call of Duty. This game is not like Wii Sports, it's a core title.

I'm not ignoring Sony's past lineup, but why would I include Sony's past 2011 games, when all we are talking about is E3 onward? Do you see the thread topic? We are talking about upcoming games, not 2011 overall. If you want to bring in past games and the library in general, make a separate thread.

Ryse and Fable will not have learning curves? So Fable 1-3 are core RPG's, but now that Fable uses Kinect instead of a controller it's no longer core? You realize the gameplay is very similar overall. This is complete bull, you're just looking for reasons to ignore core titles.

Will you just admit, 360 has more comming out then Sony has for PS3? Stop changing the topic, stop whining that 360 isn't satisfying the core.

BTW That link, and you, have two completely different deffinitions for casual games. According to the Casual Games Association

"Developed for the general public and families, casual games are video games that are fun and easy to learn and play.

I really, REALLY doubt Ryse is being developed for the general public or families. Since when ever are M rated games casual? Same goes for Fable, it is a core franchise for 360, using a Kinect controller, versus a conventional controller, makes no difference.

Stop with this now, your own link contradicts you. Ryse and Fable are core, doesn't matter if YOU are interested in them or not. I'm not interested in Sly or Starhawk, but do I exclude them as core titles? Sly Cooper actually fits that definition much better then Ryse since it's an E rated game, developed for a more general audience.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results