By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY's in Trouble Next Generation: It's Current IP's Dont Not have the Power to Sell Console's + A Past Mistake may come back to Haunt Them!

This isnt about PS4, Its about the strength and Value of SONY's current IP's

Around the Network

I would like to make a correction, RESIDENT EVIL was never SONY's alone or anything like that.

RE1 was on PC and Sega Saturn too, RE2 was on N64/PC....RE4 wasn't even on PS2 first and came later in the form of an inferior version.

I don't get where this, RE = SONY thingy started....no RE has ever been Playstation Exclusive, each has been ported to a different home console after its release.

Ironically RE5 was more Playstation orientated than RE4 as ye know it actually launched on a playstation system on launch day!!!!!!!12312313

If anyone lost RE its Nintendo.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Killzone and LittleBigPlanet need to go? hmmmmm....... NO WAY.

However you are right. Sony didn't doom themselves, they just put themselves at competition with Microsoft (or maybe Microsoft put itself at competition with Sony). Either way, the only difference now from before is that Sony has to share their 3rd party IP's.

I don't think MS is any better off then Sony next gen, how many Halo's do people need? MS has less IP's then Sony and although many of them are more established, most of them are overplayed. Halo 3 on 360 was big because it finished off the trilogy to the franchise that made the XB. Releasing so many Halo games now, it kills the mystery.

Nintendo waits years before releasing a sequel to Zelda, and the overall experience is still enjoyable despite being largely the same because the franchise isn't over used.

So don't point the finger and think Sony is screwed, at least they tried to make a few new IP's this gen. Last thing Nintendo made was Pikmin, and that was over a decade ago. Yes there was Brain Age for DS as well, but for consoles it's been a while. Ms isn't much better since Gears isn't Microsoft, and everything big was on XB1.

At least Sony has the studios and experience to make a good new IP.

What worries me for next gen is where will all current IP's go? Are Halo, Killzone, Gears and Mass Effect just going to switch storylines/villans? (After Gears 3 and maybe 4, the franchise will not centre on Marcus, and same with Mass effect and Commander Sheppard). I feel the main story of these games has been absorbed, and worry the franchises will be raped and murdered like Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and any half decent Disney film. I just hope MS and Sony show off some interesting new IP's.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

DP

darthdevidem01 said:
I would like to make a correction, RESIDENT EVIL was never SONY's alone or anything like that.

RE1 was on PC and Sega Saturn too, RE2 was on N64/PC....RE4 wasn't even on PS2 first and came later in the form of an inferior version.

I don't get where this, RE = SONY thingy started....no RE has ever been Playstation Exclusive, each has been ported to a different home console after its release.

Ironically RE5 was more Playstation orientated than RE4 as ye know it actually launched on a playstation system on launch day!!!!!!!12312313

If anyone lost RE its Nintendo.

Its because its where most played it 1st. Think FF.. FF is widely known as a PS franchise though it Started on Nintendo, with Nintendo GBA and GC still gettin them to.. New Gen FF players started with it on PS

Around the Network

@Xxain uhmm wthell are you doing dude?..

as if playstation ppl will admit such a thing! now close this thread!.. and dont make sense ever again!.. it doesnt belong in forums where rabid fanboys live..

create another where nintendo console is doomed!.. or wii U is d.o.a! we dont have enough of those! get with the program man!.. whats wrong with you!

You do realise that Sony is trying to make system sellers? You can't just choose a game and it will instantly become a system seller, it has to gain popularity, and I am enjoying Sony's system of just making really good games that allow me to enjoy my console

They have negotiated with R* for Agent, so they are trying to get the 3rd party exclusives, but ultimately, M$ and Sony each have 2 hardware selling games, Halo and Gears versus GT and Uncharted. Uncharted is on the rise, but GT is on the decline. For M$, Gears is not their game, and Halo might be falling due to the loss of Bungie. So basically, those two are a level playing field

The key point is, that it is rare that people buy consoles for a single game. BUT, when GTA does come along on both platforms, people buying a console for that game are going to look at a few things, the back catalogue, which consoles their friends have, price etc...

So basically, my point is this. You only really need a few system sellers, they do probably need some more, but creating new IP is tricky, having a good library of games is much more important, especially when they don't make money on the hardware

we will have to wait and see till next generation, i predict price will be main issue as it was this gen. if sony is best priced its a surefired hit, if it isnt then it will struggle like the ps3.

re: games, sony will always have new titles to play and most in number, it just needs a low price so people can play them

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Sorry, is this the company that sold 5 million consoles at $599 with perhaps two half-decent exclusives for a year?

The great thing about the PlayStation brand is the wide range of genres available in both first-party and third-party. Nothing is as big as Mario or Halo, but LBP, Uncharted and God of War are all popular series now. They're not going to destroy their entire first party and start again just for your sake.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I don't think Sony fans buy next generation playstations for a particular IP. They buy Playstations because Sony allows their developers the freedom to develop unique and interesting games and that's what they want. It's cool if people buy Nintendo for the next batch of mario and zelda games and XBOX for the next Halo and Forza games. But I'd rather take a chance on a system that is led by a plethora of new and different IPs every generation.