By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - GamrConnect 2.0 - Comments and Suggestions

Rath said:
I'd rather like to be able to see the whole of a forum rather than just the individual subforums if it's possible. Like all of off topic, rather than having to switch between general to politics to movies.

If you click on "Hot Topics", you can uncheck every box except for the Off Topic forum, which will let you see all of them.

Though somebody has probably said that in the last three pages :/

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

I love how the forum buddy let's you go to the newest post in a thread, without the help of the URL! It's awesome.

When will the NGP be added to the database by the way? I have a bunch of games I want on my wishlist.

I'd like a setting for making avatar smaller. Sure, they're pretty but with sigs off, short posts take twice as much space they would take if they only had text instead of avatars as well... Needless to say, all forums have tons of short posts so it's a pretty big deal.

Maybe add a setting for Forum Buddy as well. It's nice to have it tag along but its movement is a bit distracting. In fact, distracting enough for me to want to turn its movement off. I prefered the old way where it would stick at the top of the page.

Rainbird said:
I love how the forum buddy let's you go to the newest post in a thread, without the help of the URL! It's awesome.

When will the NGP be added to the database by the way? I have a bunch of games I want on my wishlist.

I don't think the NGP will be. It'll be added as the (ugh) PSV, or whatever final name Sony decides to give it.

So, I would guess, after Sony's E3 conference.

Kantor said:
Rainbird said:

I don't think the NGP will be. It'll be added as the (ugh) PSV, or whatever final name Sony decides to give it.

So, I would guess, after Sony's E3 conference.

Yeah, I figured it might have something to do with the name. Oh well, just a little longer.

By the way, how do we do referrals to the site? Should we add something to the URL before we share it or something?

Around the Network

It is very nice :)

Above: still the best game of the year.

I'm liking a lot of what I see so far, but I'm having some issues with the new Hot Topics system.

Edit:

Hm.  I guess this was kinda the wrong thread for this.

Is this the right thread?? Sheesh!

Pasting everything I copied from my old post:

I'm liking a lot of what I see so far, but I'm having some issues with the new Hot Topics system.

Is there anyway to have multiple Hot Topics pages? As it stands now, I have everything split between, like, 15 different forums or something. It's either that, or have EVERYTHING on one single page. It'd be nice if I could have pages dedicated to all gaming, sales, website, and OT threads, respectively.

And I fear for the OT section as things stand now. Things were rather slow under 3.0 to begin with. I can't imagine people will bother taking the time to check out six different off topic forums, and that'll just slow down traffic all the more.

Edit:

Actually, I'll go all out with this:

1. I'm not getting notified of wall posts anymore? Or am I just blind.

2. In our profiles, it has a category for "favorite console". It should read "favorite platform", as it makes no sense when it lists PC under that category for someone like me. Though this may have been an issue under the old system that I just never noticed. :P

3. Too many forums. My gosh. I either have everything split between 389 boards or have everything on a single page. Having just four boards - gaming, sales, website, and off topic - would be a dream. And maybe a fifth dedicated to online/community stuffs. Having to browse multiple boards just for off topic information will be incredibly annoying, and I can't imagine adding the information of all those boards into the hot topics section.

4. Are all the badges and other images next to each post necessary? I just want to read people's posts and have a simple visual cue of who those people are (avatar). If I wanted to find out information about them, like what games they're playing, I'd go to their profiles.

Simplicity is key.

Aside from that, I'm glad search is back, and I prefer the borders used to separate posts compared to the previous ones. On the previous boards, there was a lot of empty space around posts, and for newcomers (including myself when the changeover first happened), posts almost looked like their own individual threads. Threads didn't seem like continuous discussions, but rather individual and unrelated ideas. Like Tweets or something. The new layout looks much nicer, and they feel like actual threads again. I love it. Aside from all those icons.

Edit 2:

Also, because of all those icons, there seems to be a lot of wasted space at the end of shorter posts, which kinda negates some of the best aspects of the lovely new layout I mentioned above. Like so:

That's a lot of nothing after each post.

Edit 3:

How come I didn't see my old post when clicking on this thread??!?!  I must be going crazy!

Edit 4:

Is there anyway to have the forum buddy remain static in one location, either in your browser or on the page?  I find it to be very useful, but the way it slides into view a second after I scroll down the page is rather annoying.

makingmusic476 said:

Is this the right thread?? Sheesh!

Pasting everything I copied from my old post:

Is there anyway to have multiple Hot Topics pages? As it stands now, I have everything split between, like, 15 different forums or something. It's either that, or have EVERYTHING on one single page. It'd be nice if I could have pages dedicated to all gaming, sales, website, and OT threads, respectively.

And I fear for the OT section as things stand now. Things were rather slow under 3.0 to begin with. I can't imagine people will bother taking the time to check out six different off topic forums, and that'll just slow down traffic all the more.

Edit:

Actually, I'll go all out with this:

1. I'm not getting notified of wall posts anymore? Or am I just blind.

2. In our profiles, it has a category for "favorite console". It should read "favorite platform", as it makes no sense when it lists PC under that category for someone like me. Though this may have been an issue under the old system that I just never realized. :P

3. Too many forums. My gosh. I either have everything split between 389 boards or have everything on a single page. Having just four boards - gaming, sales, website, and off topic - would be a dream. And maybe a fifth dedicated to online/community stuffs. Having to browse multiple boards just for off topic information will be incredibly annoying, but I can't imagine adding the information of all those boards into the hot topics section.

4. Are all the badges and other images next to each post necessary? I just want to read people's posts and have a simple visual cue of who those people are (avatar). If I wanted to find out information about what games they're playing, I'd go to their profiles.

Simplicity is key.

Aside from that, I'm glad search is back, and I prefer the borders used to separate posts compared to the previous ones. On the previous boards, there was a lot of empty space around posts, and for newcomers (including myself when the changeover first happened), posts almost looked like their own individual threads. Threads didn't seem like continuous discussions, but rather individual and unrelated ideas. Like Tweets or something. The new layout looks much nicer, and they feel like actual threads again. I love it. Aside from all those icons.

Edit 2:

Also, because of all those icons, there seems to be a lot of wasted space at the end of shorter posts, which kinda negates some of the best aspects of the lovely new layout I mentioned above. Like so:

That's a lot of nothing after each post.

Edit 3:

How come I didn't see my old post when clicking on this thread??!?!  I must be going crazy!

1) In Hot Topics, you can customise to see only the forums that you want, but I see what you mean: it's only one at a time.

2) Absolutely

3) Pffft, NeoGAF style. NeoGAF is a mess, because Sony threads, Microsoft threads and Nintendo threads are all mixed together, and then you throw sales discussion into that and it's chaotic.

4) I quite like seeing a little bit about the person when they post. It doesn't tell you their life story, just the sort of things they like to play. Badges aren't strictly necessary, admittedly, but I do like the post count, gamrRewards score and Now Playing. In fact, adding "Favourite Platform" (i.e. with the most games) to that would be great.

As for the empty space, that's because you have sigs disabled

Can I please get rid of the forum buddy?
It's so annoying (in my opinion).