By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Video Comparison : Metal Gear Solid 3DS vs. PS2

I thought I noticed a few more details on Snake when he was about to jump off (the garment actually moved in the 3DS version)

Overall, it wasn't a huge improvement. Obviously it'll be improved with the 3D, so they definitely focused on that.

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

Around the Network

wow i thought it was a whole new MGS game...why is nintendo doing so many ports of old games

Well I guess it was just a tech demo last year. I thought they would at least upgrade Snake's character model if nothing else.

I don't know I just feel like I was lied to.

Chevinator123 said:
wow i thought it was a whole new MGS game...why is nintendo doing so many ports of old games

Might want to ask Konami that one instead of Nintendo.

Supposedly though, it's because MGS3 really starts the storyline of the MGS series and is a better means to introduce new gamers to the series.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Well done Kojima, you put more effort into a PSP game, than a more powerful system.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
@roma id be shocked if the final version or RE looks that good. OT the PS2 looks slightly better, but the 3ds by no means looks like crap, so far i think ill stick with subsistence, i wont be missing much

well here is a video of the demo

Edit:

:O it ran away!!

here is a link instead.

http://youtu.be/SFWPM5XrzIk

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

hatmoza said:

Come on guys, aren't you the least impressed that 3DS is capable of porting a 7 year old game on a current handheld device!?

I mean the graphics aren't on par or better than the PS2 version but it's still an accomplishment.

Well, if you consider that the graphics quality of PS VIta and PS3 are quite similar, it is NOT an acomplishment to looks worst than a PS2.

@roma im sorry man i dont buy it. MGS3d looked just as good last year and i trust Kojima and his boys alot more than the RE team, but for all our sakes i hope the end product looks that good

Dinomax said:

Well done Kojima, you put more effort into a PSP game, than a more powerful system.

I bet that the first demo, was build in order to showcase the 3DS graphic capabilities.   But considering that it is a demo, it didn´t was as complex as the complete game (enemy AI, enemy patrols, cutscenes, giant bosses, etc).  The first demo showed an small enviroment, with no epic battles with gigantic robots with a lot of special effects all over the screen. Also it is most probably that Nintendo is forcing Konami to use more of the features the 3DS has to offer, and in order to do so they needed to reduce the graphics quality.   It is like the case of MGS4 ( looks awesome by the way) in which the first trailer looked better than the final game, I bet it was because Sony wanted the game to be 1080p native.   By that time it was a special feature only available on the PS3, so Sony needed to showcase what the consoles was capable of.

I honestly don't get it, the demo shown off at E3 last year looked really crisp even though the video I saw was with 3D turned on. That's rather odd and I hope that's just a placeholder intro since the game is still some months off.

Though one thing to note guys and I can never stress this enough, the PS2 game maxed out a dual layer DVD, thus not having to compress textures and sound like they are on the 3DS with it's current 2GB limit (though will probably be 4GB by the time the game hits), if the 8GB 3DS cart was already in use I'd be the first one bitching about how this is a shoddy port but realistically I know they're compressing data here. Before someone brings up PSP! The PSP games had a lot of compressed data too and it was a bit smaller in length and scale to work around the 1.6GB limit of the UMD.

Basically I think the E3 demo last year was what they could potentially do cause in those demos they could have easily had completely uncompressed data on those demo carts, thus the place holder images that was supposed to be projected graphics fidelity was accurate, when the project went further and they had data limitations I'm guessing they scaled back some, still I think between now and release we could see some more optimization happen.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000