By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Video Comparison : Metal Gear Solid 3DS vs. PS2

hatmoza said:

Come on guys, aren't you the least impressed that 3DS is capable of porting a 7 year old game on a current handheld device!?

I mean the graphics aren't on par or better than the PS2 version but it's still an accomplishment.

Lol based on what we have see already the 3DS is on per with the GC/Wii in terms of graphics so of course it is desapointing when they show you a great looking demo sometimes even compared to the PS3 version of MGS4 and then you get a port that looks worse than the original (yes I mean not as crispy) they should have just shown us this build from the start and no one would have been disappointed in the first place :/

@Mr Khan: why would a company take footage in 3D when they are making a trailer in 2D?)

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

Hm, I must be seeing different to everyone else.  In a fair few scenes the PS2 version looks 'muddier' to me, although that downside seemed to flip-flop between the two versions.  Also, the part where snake is standing at the open door of the plane the PS2 version looks quite a bit worse.

Mr Khan said:

The PS2 version seems more crisp (which could very well be a resolution thing, or that they were capturing 3D off the 3DS version), but otherwise they look identical

i'm gonna go with this instead of the haters - 360 games are often presented as having better colors than the ps3 version even when it is only due to the settings and capture.

it looks identical to me and any differences are probably due to however the video was captured.

I don't think it looks worse than PS2 version. It's got some extra shader effects. Judging by that video only of course.

If you want to play/exchange stuff online with me, just send me a message

PAL Region, country set to UK [Wii] 8714 6838 0977 5469

COD W@W FC: 2966 5176 6725
COD MW [Reflex] FC: 3568 2083 1513
Monster Hunter Tri Name: Cobra ID: TJCXVR
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 FC: 5199 8914 0552
SSB Brawl FC: 4641 1109 2262
GoldenEye 007 FC: 0136 4916 1439
Trackmania FC: 0905 1720 9842
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom UAS FC: 1850 4714 0865

[3DS] 1246 - 8738 - 3987

Looks quite similar. PS2 version is more clear though.

Around the Network

It doesn't look quite as good as the ps2 version. Which is odd, the PSP, which came out 6 years ago, has graphics halfwayish between n64 and ps2, and the 3ds, 6 years later, has online jumped to near/around ps2.

The lighting in the plane sequence looked better, the lighting in the jungle looked worse. Para-medic looked worse. Overall game should look a lot better considering the bump mapping Snake had in the demo and it's all gone now. There's also some lighting effects that look better on the PS2. In some ways it is impressive considering the beast of a looking game that Metal Gear Solid 3 was, but it's very disappointing after looking at Resident Evil: Mercenaries.

im_sneaky said:
It doesn't look quite as good as the ps2 version. Which is odd, the PSP, which came out 6 years ago, has graphics halfwayish between n64 and ps2, and the 3ds, 6 years later, has online jumped to near/around ps2.

this is 3DS graphics when your not lazy

yeah only ps2 level Grafix :P

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Textures look slightly better on PS2 but you can see some of the extra effects on the 3DS from time to time. At the end of the day it looks like a port of a great looking PS2 game. Would like to see some gameplay segments too though. Some of the lighting on the PS2 looks "pre-rendered" to me.

@roma id be shocked if the final version or RE looks that good. OT the PS2 looks slightly better, but the 3ds by no means looks like crap, so far i think ill stick with subsistence, i wont be missing much