By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - L.A. Noire was once a six-disc game on Xbox 360

RolStoppable said:

Let me settle this here once and for all. According to my research the PS3 version of L.A. Noire has a mandatory install of 1.3 GB. I am pretty sure that this means the install takes at least several minutes and thus the 360 version of this game is superior.

Actually, if you werent so biased agaisnt sony (most likely because they kicked Nintendo's ass for 2 gens and are doing that right now) you would have realized that once the 3 mintue install is done, no longer interruption, long loading and disc swapping is needed. So waiting 3 minteus at the beginning of the game and later having faster loading and no disc swaping interuption makes PS3 version inferior?

Now, I am probably gonna get banned for saying Sony kicked Nintendo's ass, but that is the reason you are so biased against them.

Around the Network

"Along with Rockstar we make very big games."

It's not a big game just because the discs are filled with recordings of mo-cap animation.

Oblivion and Skyrim, now those are very big games. Who easily fit on one DVD.

osamanobama said:
Tony_Stark said:
LivingMetal said:
Mr Puggsly said:
LivingMetal said:

Owning a console which allows the user to purchase and self-install a non-proprietary relatively inexpensive 2.5 SATA hard drive is NOT extreme.  It's smart shopping.  And I'm sure PlayStation extremists will be happy to spin that hard drive as well, enjoying those games.

Should be noted hard drives aren't essential for the 360 but mandatory for PS3.

360 users that don't have a hard drive but want to download things can just use USB memory sticks as well.

But any gamer would tell you that if you're going to buy an Xbox 360, you might as well go "big" and buy a 250GB version due to encroaching limitation with the 4GB version such as:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Problems-with-Xbox-360-Slim-4GB-console

As a gamer, don't half-ass it, right?

And, yes you do have the option of buying an Xbox 360 PROPRIETARY USB such as the Xbox 360 - 16GB 2.0 Flash Drive by Sandisk for only $30 via Amazon.  But you get this NON-PROPRIETARY Western Digital 500GB 2.5 SATA for $55 also from Amazon during the time of this writing.  Much better value here with hard drive prices constantly dropping.  So my successful counter argument and point that "Owning a console which allows the user to purchase and self-install a non-proprietary relatively inexpensive 2.5 SATA hard drive is NOT extreme.  It's smart shopping" still holds true and still stands.

Erm, no, I am using a no-name 120GB external HD with a 16G partition formatted by my Xbox for whatever I need. I could also use the 500GB 2.5 SATA drive for the same purpose. Your "smart shopping" comment is pointless, ridiculous, and arrogant. You see, smart shopping isn't always hardware. If the PS3 doesn't have any games that a person wants to play, but the 360 does, then the 360 is the "smart shopping" choice for them. "half assing it" in this case, would be for that person to purchase a PS3. ; )

that is a good solution, though i think that voids the warranty

no, I'm talking about using a usb memory device (you can use up to 2 at a time) with a 16GB partition (which the 360 will format) as a memory "stick" not replacing the internal HD which doesn't work atm I believe, and which does void any HD warranty you may have.

"with great power, comes great responsibility."

RolStoppable said:
pizzahut451 said:

Actually, if you werent so biased agaisnt sony (most likely because they kicked Nintendo's ass for 2 gens and are doing that right now) you would have realized that once the 3 mintue install is done, no longer interruption, long loading and disc swapping is needed. So waiting 3 minteus at the beginning of the game and later having faster loading and no disc swaping interuption makes PS3 version inferior?

Now, I am probably gonna get banned for saying Sony kicked Nintendo's ass, but that is the reason you are so biased against them.

If you know more about this than me, then post the numbers all in one post. How long does the install take? How long (on average) are the load times in the 360 and the PS3 version?

I am just as biased against Microsoft as I am biased against Sony, even though Microsoft never kicked Nintendo's ass. The reason why it looks like I have more against Sony is that these forums are dominated by Sony fans, so the probability for conflict concerning things Sony is much higher.

well, I speak from experience. I installed the game yesterday, and it did took me about 3 minutes to finish everything. As for loading times, its a well known fact that the game loads faster with mandatory installs. PS3 multiplats tend to have shorter loading times sometimes.

And FYI, Microsoft kicked Nintendo's butt last gen with original Xbox. And these forums are actually divided between sony and Nitendo fans, its just that Sony fans are more vocal. Make a thread that in any way puts anything Nitendo related in the negative light, and see how many Nintendo folks appear.

RolStoppable said:
pizzahut451 said:

well, I speak from experience. I installed the game yesterday, and it did took me about 3 minutes to finish everything. As for loading times, its a well known fact that the game loads faster with mandatory installs. PS3 multiplats tend to have shorter loading times sometimes.

And FYI, Microsoft kicked Nintendo's butt last gen with original Xbox. And these forums are actually divided between sony and Nitendo fans, its just that Sony fans are more vocal. Make a thread that in any way puts anything Nitendo related in the negative light, and see how many Nintendo folks appear.

I am not so sure about this, mandatory installs on the PS3 are often used to bring the loading times more in line with the 360 versions of games, because the PS3's Blu-ray drive is pretty slow. It doesn't necessarily mean that the PS3 version loads faster, so posting the actual time it takes each version on average to load would be much appreciated.

Uh, what? Look it up, in almost any multiplat game PS3 version slightly or greatly faster loading times (DC4, GTA IV, Bioshock, RDR...)

What Microsoft did last gen was hardly butt kicking. Losing $4 billion to outsell the profitable Gamecube by a mere three million units rather suggests big selfownage, especially because that "huge" triumph of beating Nintendo didn't actually help Microsoft to have an advantage over them this generation.

They still sold more. A new comer with little to no new IPs and almost no 1st party support defeated the company who has been in industry for over 20 years, with by far most experience and with the most iconic IPs in video game world.

Make a thread that in any way puts Sony in a negative light and see how many Sony folks appear. It's certainly going to be a longer thread than pretty much anything else on VGC. Sony fans make up for the majority of active members around here, there's no way around it. Besides, the point I made wasn't concerning the amount of Sony vs. Nintendo fans, but Sony vs. Microsoft fans. There are more Sony than Microsoft fans here (which you agree on), hence why I get more often into discussions with the Sony folks.

Actually, the case is exact opposite. Make any Sony negative thread and see how many anti Sony rants you'll find there. if there is one thing Nintendo and Microsoft folks get more excited about than MS/Nintendo negative thread ITS A SONY NEGATVIE THREAD. The latest and best example is PSN outage.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:

It's not a big game just because the discs are filled with recordings of mo-cap animation.

when was it confirmed that skyrim will be on one dvd?

Alby_da_Wolf said:

Isn't $6bln the losses for the whole division, including many products different from consoles? It includes R&D anyway, but yes, even considering unrelated and related but justifiable costs it's hefty compared to, for example, the estimated less than $1bln for Wii R&D, followed by HW profitable since launch, so no further losses (since Wii launch, IIRC, Ninty only had one or two quarters at a loss). It will be remembered as an example of the razor and blades model gone too far.    Although currently the chances of recovering (obviously considering SW and movies too, otherwise from HW only PS3 would need to sell at least 120M units to recover the losses, rough estimate based on initial heavy losses and the fact that even now that it's profitable, Sony will always get a relatively small margin to keep it competitive) aren't bad as they were before Slim and cut to $300 and even worse before the first significant cut to $400.

About the presumed MS royalty, curiously it looks like on the net there are only indirect sources both claiming or denying it. I can't find the link at the moment, but I read somewhere that additional royalties could be due not for MS fault but for the techs used in XB360 discs (like copy protection, etc) and this could be compatible with what Willits stated.

PS: Sorry for the late answer, net and phone not working for two days...

I'm not sure what else the division includes or what was added over years. But when the PS3 was added to the fold coincidentally there were mega losses. I doubt Sony was pissing away that kind of money in something else. I'd assume PS2 and PSP were also making great profits from 2006 - 2009. So its hard to determine how much PS3 a lone lost.

The 360 discs having royalties, that's hearsay until we find a source. All we know now is apparently MS doesn't charge extra per disc.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

RolStoppable said:
pizzahut451 said:
RolStoppable said:

I am not so sure about this, mandatory installs on the PS3 are often used to bring the loading times more in line with the 360 versions of games, because the PS3's Blu-ray drive is pretty slow. It doesn't necessarily mean that the PS3 version loads faster, so posting the actual time it takes each version on average to load would be much appreciated.

Uh, what? Look it up, in almost any multiplat game PS3 version slightly or greatly faster loading times (DC4, GTA IV, Bioshock, RDR...)

What Microsoft did last gen was hardly butt kicking. Losing $4 billion to outsell the profitable Gamecube by a mere three million units rather suggests big selfownage, especially because that "huge" triumph of beating Nintendo didn't actually help Microsoft to have an advantage over them this generation.

They still sold more. A new comer with little to no new IPs and almost no 1st party support defeated the company who has been in industry for over 20 years, with by far most experience and with the most iconic IPs in video game world.

Make a thread that in any way puts Sony in a negative light and see how many Sony folks appear. It's certainly going to be a longer thread than pretty much anything else on VGC. Sony fans make up for the majority of active members around here, there's no way around it. Besides, the point I made wasn't concerning the amount of Sony vs. Nintendo fans, but Sony vs. Microsoft fans. There are more Sony than Microsoft fans here (which you agree on), hence why I get more often into discussions with the Sony folks.

Actually, the case is exact opposite. Make any Sony negative thread and see how many anti Sony rants you'll find there. if there is one thing Nintendo and Microsoft folks get more excited about than MS/Nintendo negative thread ITS A SONY NEGATVIE THREAD. The latest and best example is PSN outage.

1) Why don't you just post the numbers or a link?

2) Xbox vs. Gamecube is what you call a Pyrrhic victory.

3) Your bias is blinding your judgment here. You know that there is something wrong when the reasonable posters, including Sony fans, feel ashamed for the recent behavior of Sony fans. Look up rocketpig's thread concerning his PSN problems.

@ #3

While he did start off his thread by probably getting a bit too worked up, I have to agree with you. They really were douches. The guy needed help and people ripped him apart instead. A real class act... -__-

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

o_O.Q said:
Slimebeast said:

when was it confirmed that skyrim will be on one dvd?

I don't see how it would work any other way. 

Swap a disc half way through swimming across one of many lakes? Swap a disc while running from authorities because you passed a certain point in the map?

Only way I could see it working is if the world itself fits but the quests and other story related stuff do not and you are required to swap the disc after a specific event. 

Disc swapping would just not work any other way in a game like Elder Scrolls.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

There is a lot of unneeded hatred going on here.  This is as pointless a war as Coke vs Pepsi, and anyone who thinks disc swapping is THAT big a deal must be horrendously lazy.  I have no respect for anyone on here who feels it's a big deal.  Hell, I'm a PS3 user and love that no PS3 game has resorted to it yet, but I wouldn't care if it did.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android