By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - L.A. Noire was once a six-disc game on Xbox 360

LivingMetal said:
PearlJam said:

Why is this a problem, but mandatory installations are ok? There are more games out there on PS3 that have mandatory installations, compared to multi-disc games on 360.

One forces you to swap out the disc a few times, which takes a  few seconds or a minute if you're slow.

The other forces you to clutter up your HDD and waste several minutes, JUST to try the game. What if you want to go back to a game a few weeks later, but you already deleted the install data? What if the game sucks? You wasted time installing it for nothing, and now have to waste more time deleting it.

I swear these PlayStation extremists will spin anything.

Owning a console which allows the user to purchase and self-install a non-proprietary relatively inexpensive 2.5 SATA hard drive is NOT extreme.  It's smart shopping.  And I'm sure PlayStation extremists will be happy to spin that hard drive as well, enjoying those games.

You typed all of that just to say nothing.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:

A lot of devs have complained about storage space, some admit to cutting content because of it.  How many don't admit they cut content?  Given how short many HD games are this gen I would imagine quite a number.

Correction, a few developers complained. If they felt something was worth cutting vs using multiple discs it was probably shitty content anyway. Most DLC is crap so what are the odds of cut content being good?

How did you deternmine HD games are shorter than last gen games? I think you're just focusing on a few FPS games being shorter than usual. But I don't blame that on storage limitations. I think they just wanted to make them less tiresome experiences. They've also put a bigger focus on multiplayer which is countless hours of entertainment for many.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:

Rage is gonna be on two discs. A simple solution to most games with storage limitations.

Ofcourse developers and consumers would prefer to have thier games on a single disc. More importantly though, developers want to sell games so they'll use multiple discs if necessary. For consumers its not a deal breaker. People with both HD consoles may opt for the PS3 version. But people with a 360 aren't gonna buy a PS3 solely to avoid disc swaps. Hence, its just bullshit being greatly exaggerated as a problem.

I don't know if it was a simple solution (making it fit on 2 disks I mean). It is a solution though.

Well then we are in agreement :).

Barozi said:
ithis said:

@Mr Puggsly
You mean to tell me that 360 games do not have updates? Or that for the same game, the updates for the PS3 are (much)larger than the updates for the 360? ...come on...

yes they are:

http://www.psxstore.com/en/42/spiele-und-patches-/ps3/patches/

http://www.xbuc.net/?

some even 10 times or more as big

0_o ... so the system forces much larger updates? I don't see why/how that would be.

When we get into the near future where there are games which actually take advantage of Blu Ray, this wonderful future where people say wow that Blu Ray really made sense! You won't have to wait long, maybe next year you'll find a console with the RAM, GPU, and optical drive read speed to actually make the most of Blu Ray. Unfortunately that console is not the PS3, it's the NES 6 from Nintendo.

Well im sure the fact that updates are about 10* faster for games on the Xbox 360 more than compensates for the time taken to change a disc.

Tease.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
LivingMetal said:

Owning a console which allows the user to purchase and self-install a non-proprietary relatively inexpensive 2.5 SATA hard drive is NOT extreme.  It's smart shopping.  And I'm sure PlayStation extremists will be happy to spin that hard drive as well, enjoying those games.

Should be noted hard drives aren't essential for the 360 but mandatory for PS3.

360 users that don't have a hard drive but want to download things can just use USB memory sticks as well.

But any gamer would tell you that if you're going to buy an Xbox 360, you might as well go "big" and buy a 250GB version due to encroaching limitation with the 4GB version such as:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Problems-with-Xbox-360-Slim-4GB-console

As a gamer, don't half-ass it, right?

And, yes you do have the option of buying an Xbox 360 PROPRIETARY USB such as the Xbox 360 - 16GB 2.0 Flash Drive by Sandisk for only $30 via Amazon.  But you get this NON-PROPRIETARY Western Digital 500GB 2.5 SATA for $55 also from Amazon during the time of this writing.  Much better value here with hard drive prices constantly dropping.  So my successful counter argument and point that "Owning a console which allows the user to purchase and self-install a non-proprietary relatively inexpensive 2.5 SATA hard drive is NOT extreme.  It's smart shopping" still holds true and still stands.

LivingMetal said:

But any gamer would tell you that if you're going to buy an Xbox 360, you might as well go "big" and buy a 250GB version due to encroaching limitation with the 4GB version such as:

And, yes you do have the option of buying an Xbox 360 PROPRIETARY USB such as the Xbox 360 - 16GB 2.0 Flash Drive by Sandisk for only $30 via Amazon.  But you get this NON-PROPRIETARY Western Digital 500GB 2.5 SATA for $55 also from Amazon during the time of this writing.  Much better value here with hard drive prices constantly dropping.  So my successful counter argument and point that "Owning a console which allows the user to purchase and self-install a non-proprietary relatively inexpensive 2.5 SATA hard drive is NOT extreme.  It's smart shopping" still holds true and still stands.

It's not smart shopping. With the Xbox 360 you just use the HDD transfer kit and its extremely easy and fewer games on the 360 are unexportable unlike the PS3. After you're done since you're a savvy shopper you can usually sell the HDD and make back a significant proportion of the purchase price.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
LivingMetal said:

It's not smart shopping. With the Xbox 360 you just use the HDD transfer kit and its extremely easy and fewer games on the 360 are unexportable unlike the PS3. After you're done since you're a savvy shopper you can usually sell the HDD and make back a significant proportion of the purchase price.

And any PS3 user can sell back the older smaller storage capacity hard drive while buying a non-proprietary hard drive is still a better value than any proprietary Xbox 360  storage media.  No one can argue that.  Besides, you can buy an incasement of your choice for that older non-proprietary hard drive so it can be used for your PC and/or PS3 when formatted correctly.  Another value there.  I understand that not all shopping scenarios will fit every shopper.  But when you are referring to the monetary value of hard drive space and the flexibility (or lack of) its usage, my argument still stands.

yo_john117 said:
osamanobama said:
RolStoppable said:

The more important questions are:

1) Can the game be played immediately or does it need to be installed? (It's a shame that this even has to be asked for a console game.)

2) How long are the loading times in each version?

Because those are the things that can really cost the player time. Swapping discs twice is a matter of at most one minute.

i dont know about you, but quiting out of a game, then ejecting it. takes up a little, up to 30 seconds getting to the consoles main menu. then putting in a game having it load up, and get into the game where you actually play takes up to several minutes. the whole proccess could very well almost take 5 minutes. 

which is not a substantial amount of time, but can definitely remove yo from the experience

Lol yeah it would take 5 minutes if your the slowest person in the world xD

Seriously though no disc swap has ever taken more then a minute for me. 

The problem with disc swapping isnt the time it takes, but the interruption it causes

LivingMetal said:

And any PS3 user can sell back the older smaller storage capacity hard drive while buying a non-proprietary hard drive is still a better value than any proprietary Xbox 360  storage media.  No one can argue that.  Besides, you can buy an incasement of your choice for that older non-proprietary hard drive so it can be used for your PC and/or PS3 when formatted correctly.  Another value there.  I understand that not all shopping scenarios will fit every shopper.  But when you are referring to the monetary value of hard drive space and the flexibility (or lack of) its usage, my argument still stands.

Xbox 360 is easier. Therefore Microsoft gets to charge for the 'better solution'. Why should anyone but geeks care about such things and most real geeks have left the PS3 behind years ago for being obsolete.

Tease.