By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - L.A. Noire was once a six-disc game on Xbox 360

Doobie_wop said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Wow, your being a little bit of a smart ass.

Here it is, plain and simple, I as a consumer have the better option of playing all my games off of one disk, when I'm forced to swap disks on another console, then that makes dealing with that console a nuisance. If Microsoft aren't willing to fix the issue, then that just means more of money will go towards the console that is giving me less of a slight irritation.

Also, like the other 50% of 360 owners, my console sounds like a jet engine, despite being bought in early 2009. I don't want the console to overheat, I want to hear what's going on in the game without any interference from bad hardware design and I don't want to over blow my sound system just so I can avoid the constant roar coming out of my console. If I install my games to the hard drive, it means my console doesn't heat up as much, the roar is toned down to a timid growl and I can happily play my games in peace. Also, like 50% of 360 owners, my hard drive is small, it involves me constantly deleting the multiple disk installs and then replacing them every time I want to play a new game, my transition from Dead Space 2 to Mass Effect 2 brought up this issue. I don't have any of these issues on my PS3, had the 360 had a larger format, then the installing wouldn't be as frequent or as much of a headache.

No other console on the market suffers from these issues, it's one exclusive to the 360, which is odd in this day and age.

Whatever though, my reply was late and I can understand if your not interested in replying, I'm not that interested in jumping back into this, I'll just be repeating myself on an open and shut case issue.

I'm not being a smart ass, you're just complaining about ridiculous crap.

Basically you're just comparing your HD consoles and telling me your gripes about your 360. Which is stupid because the discussion is really about disc swapping. Something being exaggerated as a big issue.

If you own both HD consoles I can understand why you would opt for the PS3 version. But if you only own a 360 the disc swapping isn't a deal breaker at all to experience the same game.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
ithis said:

Well, it doesn't take many large textures to cover desert and burned down buildings. That game is not too prety.

Also, give developers a larger disc capacity as standard and they will fill them up, or at least will more frequently excede the capacity of the old medium. Making multi disk games is a production inconvenience.

It's like PC vs Consoles. PC has more power, yet 99% of games run on consoles so we don't ever need a next gen no?

Those games offer a lot more than desert and burned down buildings. Tons of building, caves, and other areas you go in, many hours of dialogue and music, and some FMVs. The point is they've been able too fit a ton of content on a single DVD.

Well 360 has the inconvenience of needing multiple discs sometimes. PS3 has the inconvenience of being more difficult to develop for. Its nice balance annoyances for the developers.

I don't understand the point of your PC vs console analogy.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Alby_da_Wolf said:

Disc swapping was annoying on PC too, my favourite platform, and it had a peak during the transition from CD to DVD, when DVD was still expensive and not present in the majority of PCs yet, so SW houses released their biggest (as size, not necessarily success) games on multiple CDs, with no complete HDD install option when average HDD space was less than 40GB, and often only the most successful received a DVD version immediately or later, when a budget edition was released (and often only the most successful received total install - no CD patches).

If PS3 has an advantage, it's pointless to deny it, and during the transition from DVD to BD it's destined to be most evident. And if Sony paid a lot for it, initially selling PS3 at a loss, good for its users.

Immediately after PS3 situation comes the PC, currently, as HDD size grew enough in the last 10 years to allow complete installs even of the biggest games, so we PC users, not having Sony partially funding a BDD adoption for us, can wait for prices to drop and install from DVDs still avoiding disc swaps after the initial installation effort.

Third comes Wii that being SD needs less space and it's still fine with just one DVD per game.

And on this issue last comes XB360, sorry.

Multi disc PC games wasn't that big of an issue. Unless its a lot of discs. For example, I own the GOTY edition of UT2004 on CD-Roms. Its 7 discs and installing everything is a huge pain in the ass.

I remember on the PS1 I used to play a FMV game called Psychic Detective. It was 3 discs and it only took 45 minutes to beat. Worst of all you didn't just change discs as you progressed, you actually changed them back and forth every few minutes!

Those are some worst case scenarios in disc swapping. Now lets quit pretending swapping a disc after hours and hours of playing is a big deal.

Nobody is denying PS3 has the advantage of being able to hold significantly more storage on a single disc. But for this gen it hasn't proven to be essential. Spin it anyway you want but it significantly hurt the Playstation brand more than it helped.

Recently Completed

Why is this a problem, but mandatory installations are ok? There are more games out there on PS3 that have mandatory installations, compared to multi-disc games on 360.

One forces you to swap out the disc a few times, which takes a  few seconds or a minute if you're slow.

The other forces you to clutter up your HDD and waste several minutes, JUST to try the game. What if you want to go back to a game a few weeks later, but you already deleted the install data? What if the game sucks? You wasted time installing it for nothing, and now have to waste more time deleting it.

I swear these PlayStation extremists will spin anything.

PearlJam said:

Why is this a problem, but mandatory installations are ok? There are more games out there on PS3 that have mandatory installations, compared to multi-disc games on 360.

One forces you to swap out the disc a few times, which takes a  few seconds or a minute if you're slow.

The other forces you to clutter up your HDD and waste several minutes, JUST to try the game. What if you want to go back to a game a few weeks later, but you already deleted the install data? What if the game sucks? You wasted time installing it for nothing, and now have to waste more time deleting it.

Excellent point a lot of people ignore. Even the PC gamers ignore that huge downloads and installs can be a pain in the ass.

360 is the only HD platform where I can pop in a game and play with very little concern of mandatory installs or huge updates.

Its a good thing PS3 lets you use any hard drive. Because you're far more likely to run out of space.

Recently Completed

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Kynes said:

It's ironic that a Sony fan says this in this forum, which is Sonyworld.

I'm a PC gamer.

Who, when in doubt, tends to favor Sony. Hence why it's easy to mistake you for a Sony fan.

True, but I got my reasons.

MS ripped me off one time too many. Sony ripped me off only once, a cheap SATA DVD writer that was crap compared to my previous ATA one, always by Sony, and now I got a Samsung one. I used to hate Sony Trinitron monitors and TVs, but then, nobody ever forced me to buy them, while OTOH, I had to buy bad Windows versions twice because they were those available at the moment that supported all my HW and SW, old and new. I had to buy that crappy Works because it was the cheapest way to be eligible to buy a cheaper version of Word (but as soon as WordPerfect offered me more for less, I gave up and WP Suite 8 was my first and last closed source office suite, and I spent less than what I should have paid for Word). I risked my personal data the only time in my life I caught a worm because MS programmed old versions of IE to memorize sensible data in the file "index.dat" even if the user set it to never do it (luckily WinME was so crappy that it crashed as soon as Bugbear infected it). Since then I used IE only to access Windows Update and a pair of online antivirus that once supported only it, and not even Jesus coming back on Earth to recommend it could persuade me to use it for anything else. Add all the efforts MS makes to tie people to its proprietary world where you are given some gadgets for free but you must pay everything essential, and all the filthy stuff it did to destroy competitors and the result is that I can't support it. Obviously neither Sony is a saint and it was good that it was soundly bashed, to tone down its arrrogance, but it's a good thing too that Sony is a competitor big enough to not being easily crushed by MS. About Ninty, I just preferred Mario of the origins, I didn't like the Gameboy, I'm not anymore a platform fan, i prefer sim racers to arcade ones, I don't like region codes and I like to mock Ninty and its fans just a little bit (but it started mostly because some of them feel exaggeratedly depressed whenever Ninty doesn't overkill competition, not to mention some malstromites), but I consider them quite OK overall.

Anyway, to sum it up, I don't trust MS. I don'trust its competitors, either, but MS is the one I trust the least.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Mr Puggsly said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Disc swapping was annoying on PC too, my favourite platform, and it had a peak during the transition from CD to DVD, when DVD was still expensive and not present in the majority of PCs yet, so SW houses released their biggest (as size, not necessarily success) games on multiple CDs, with no complete HDD install option when average HDD space was less than 40GB, and often only the most successful received a DVD version immediately or later, when a budget edition was released (and often only the most successful received total install - no CD patches).

If PS3 has an advantage, it's pointless to deny it, and during the transition from DVD to BD it's destined to be most evident. And if Sony paid a lot for it, initially selling PS3 at a loss, good for its users.

Immediately after PS3 situation comes the PC, currently, as HDD size grew enough in the last 10 years to allow complete installs even of the biggest games, so we PC users, not having Sony partially funding a BDD adoption for us, can wait for prices to drop and install from DVDs still avoiding disc swaps after the initial installation effort.

Third comes Wii that being SD needs less space and it's still fine with just one DVD per game.

And on this issue last comes XB360, sorry.

Multi disc PC games wasn't that big of an issue. Unless its a lot of discs. For example, I own the GOTY edition of UT2004 on CD-Roms. Its 7 discs and installing everything is a huge pain in the ass.

I remember on the PS1 I used to play a FMV game called Psychic Detective. It was 3 discs and it only took 45 minutes to beat. Worst of all you didn't just change discs as you progressed, you actually changed them back and forth every few minutes!

Those are some worst case scenarios in disc swapping. Now lets quit pretending swapping a disc after hours and hours of playing is a big deal.

Nobody is denying PS3 has the advantage of being able to hold significantly more storage on a single disc. But for this gen it hasn't proven to be essential. Spin it anyway you want but it significantly hurt the Playstation brand more than it helped.

You have good points too, when the discs are a few and to be swapped rarely, it isn't a terrible issue (but for example in Lands of Lore III, on PC, once all the worlds were unlocked, traveling for quests was a pain in the arse with 4 CDs to swap quite often and no complete install to HDD option), I don't deny it. But about PS3 and BD, let's not mix things up: Sony initially shot itself in the foot, killing its HW profits for years, but users had a bigger benefit from it just because Sony accepted to pay the bill selling PS3 at a loss to push it and BD. I was referring to users benefit, not Sony one, that is quite arguable as we don't really know how many losses it was ready to suffer to make it win the format war (although it's obvious the losses were a lot higher than its best case scenario). Another thing to not forget about optical disc space usefulness: if I'm not wrong, MS charges extra royalties for games on more than 2 discs, so devs make everything possible to avoid them exceed that space. Anyway, about this issue, it's just natural that extra disc space available becomes more useful as time goes by, and that initially it's less important, this has been good for MS, allowing it to not suffer because of it during XB360 first years. Finally, as I wrote other times, even if I don't trust MS, it's a good thing that it and Ninty soundly bashed Sony when it was becomig too arrogant, this benefitted competitors, SW houses and users, and I think Sony too, in the long term. Just as it's good that Ninty doesn't bury anymore MS and Sony in this part of the current gen, balance is good to cater for as many different gamer tastes as possible.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Mr Puggsly said:
ithis said:

Well, it doesn't take many large textures to cover desert and burned down buildings. That game is not too prety.

Also, give developers a larger disc capacity as standard and they will fill them up, or at least will more frequently excede the capacity of the old medium. Making multi disk games is a production inconvenience.

It's like PC vs Consoles. PC has more power, yet 99% of games run on consoles so we don't ever need a next gen no?

Those games offer a lot more than desert and burned down buildings. Tons of building, caves, and other areas you go in, many hours of dialogue and music, and some FMVs. The point is they've been able too fit a ton of content on a single DVD.

Well 360 has the inconvenience of needing multiple discs sometimes. PS3 has the inconvenience of being more difficult to develop for. Its nice balance annoyances for the developers.

I don't understand the point of your PC vs console analogy.

I was refering just to New Vegas. Textures are reused with aplomb there. The dialog, and music do not take up much space. The FMV's do  though, but if you don't have many of them, like in FFXIII for example, it's ok.

The PC analogy while not perfect, points to the fact that if devs have better hardware/more space, they can and will do "better" stuff with it.

I'm curious what Rage will turn out like. Carmak talked about megatextures where the artists just "paint directly to the world", thus "no two textures being the same". I can easily see how several gigabyte textures will not fit on one DVD, and how artists would prefer to not be bound by any storage limitation. This technology, if/when it will work, will enable people to create even more impressive and better looking environments, which is a good thing.

Now ofcourse,  it's not the end of the workd to have a game on multiple disks, but developers/publishers would prefer to fit their games on one disk, and consumers would prefer to buy games on one disk.

ignore

Mr Puggsly said:
PearlJam said:

Excellent point a lot of people ignore. Even the PC gamers ignore that huge downloads and installs can be a pain in the ass.

360 is the only HD platform where I can pop in a game and play with very little concern of mandatory installs or huge updates.

Its a good thing PS3 lets you use any hard drive. Because you're far more likely to run out of space.

@Mr Puggsly
You mean to tell me that 360 games do not have updates? Or that for the same game, the updates for the PS3 are (much)larger than the updates for the 360? ...come on...

@PearlJam:

Who's saying that mandatory installs are not an inconvenience? Ideally, games should come on very large disks for drives that have huge read speeds and tiny search times, so that little needs to be installed for the game to work (which can be done transparently), and one can just play things instantly.