By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - L.A. Noire was once a six-disc game on Xbox 360

It was quite funny when PS3 fans were making fun of 360's games with multiple discs, and then PS3 games started coming out which required installations that could take half an hour...

Either solution isn't optimal, but I'll easily take disc swaps over long installs.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
ithis said:
Mr Puggsly said:
PearlJam said:

Why is this a problem, but mandatory installations are ok? There are more games out there on PS3 that have mandatory installations, compared to multi-disc games on 360.

One forces you to swap out the disc a few times, which takes a  few seconds or a minute if you're slow.

The other forces you to clutter up your HDD and waste several minutes, JUST to try the game. What if you want to go back to a game a few weeks later, but you already deleted the install data? What if the game sucks? You wasted time installing it for nothing, and now have to waste more time deleting it.

I swear these PlayStation extremists will spin anything.

Excellent point a lot of people ignore. Even the PC gamers ignore that huge downloads and installs can be a pain in the ass.

360 is the only HD platform where I can pop in a game and play with very little concern of mandatory installs or huge updates.

Its a good thing PS3 lets you use any hard drive. Because you're far more likely to run out of space.

@Mr Puggsly
You mean to tell me that 360 games do not have updates? Or that for the same game, the updates for the PS3 are (much)larger than the updates for the 360? ...come on...

yes they are:

http://www.psxstore.com/en/42/spiele-und-patches-/ps3/patches/

http://www.xbuc.net/?

some even 10 times or more as big

ithis said:

@Mr Puggsly
You mean to tell me that 360 games do not have updates? Or that for the same game, the updates for the PS3 are (much)larger than the updates for the 360? ...come on...

They have updates, but they are really small. Usually 1MB - 2 MB. Unlike PS3 which has updates that are hundreds of MBs or even over a GB. On top of mandatory installs.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

ithis said:

I was refering just to New Vegas. Textures are reused with aplomb there. The dialog, and music do not take up much space. The FMV's do  though, but if you don't have many of them, like in FFXIII for example, it's ok.

The PC analogy while not perfect, points to the fact that if devs have better hardware/more space, they can and will do "better" stuff with it.

I'm curious what Rage will turn out like. Carmak talked about megatextures where the artists just "paint directly to the world", thus "no two textures being the same". I can easily see how several gigabyte textures will not fit on one DVD, and how artists would prefer to not be bound by any storage limitation. This technology, if/when it will work, will enable people to create even more impressive and better looking environments, which is a good thing.

Now ofcourse,  it's not the end of the workd to have a game on multiple disks, but developers/publishers would prefer to fit their games on one disk, and consumers would prefer to buy games on one disk.

No other sandbox games reuse textures? No point in debating this any further but they were able to pack a lot of content in New Vegas and they still had quite a bit a space to work with.

PC developers have more to work with on the PC but they hardly take advantage of it. Part of problem is not everyone has a high end gaming PC and ofcourse PC games don't sell particularly well. While PS3 developers have tons of space to work with, most games don't need or use it. The only real benefits we have seen is sharper video and no disc swaps.

Rage is gonna be on two discs. A simple solution to most games with storage limitations.

Ofcourse developers and consumers would prefer to have thier games on a single disc. More importantly though, developers want to sell games so they'll use multiple discs if necessary. For consumers its not a deal breaker. People with both HD consoles may opt for the PS3 version. But people with a 360 aren't gonna buy a PS3 solely to avoid disc swaps. Hence, its just bullshit being greatly exaggerated as a problem.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Alby_da_Wolf said:

let's not mix things up: Sony initially shot itself in the foot, killing its HW profits for years, but users had a bigger benefit from it just because Sony accepted to pay the bill selling PS3 at a loss to push it and BD. I was referring to users benefit, not Sony one, that is quite arguable as we don't really know how many losses it was ready to suffer to make it win the format war (although it's obvious the losses were a lot higher than its best case scenario).

Another thing to not forget about optical disc space usefulness: if I'm not wrong, MS charges extra royalties for games on more than 2 discs, so devs make everything possible to avoid them exceed that space. Anyway, about this issue, it's just natural that extra disc space available becomes more useful as time goes by, and that initially it's less important, this has been good for MS, allowing it to not suffer because of it during XB360 first years. Finally, as I wrote other times, even if I don't trust MS, it's a good thing that it and Ninty soundly bashed Sony when it was becomig too arrogant, this benefitted competitors, SW houses and users, and I think Sony too, in the long term. Just as it's good that Ninty doesn't bury anymore MS and Sony in this part of the current gen, balance is good to cater for as many different gamer tastes as possible.

Well its clear Sony anticipated selling a lot more consoles at the higher price points. Surely they were prepared to take some losses, maybe $1 billion. That wouldn't be too difficult to earn back assuming the hardware and software sold significantly better. But since it launched they've lost like $6 billion and that's with PS2 and PSP profits. They could have bought Skype with that kind of money!

According to this article MS doesn't charge royalties for multiple discs. "Microsoft does not charge a royalty per disc, but there is a cost of  goods that goes along with manufacturing." http://www.shacknews.com/article/54795/ids-tim-willits-on-rage

So it does cost extra in the sense they gotta pay for the extra discs. Probably in the same way it cost more to make a fancy inlay, booklets, etc.

Recently Completed

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
ithis said:

@Mr Puggsly

They have updates, but they are really small. Usually 1MB - 2 MB. Unlike PS3 which has updates that are hundreds of MBs or even over a GB. On top of mandatory installs.

PS3 exclusives do have updates that are in the 100MB and more range, but for multiplat games. I think as I said before as much as 15 times the size of a 360 update in some cases (Prince of Persia)

I fail to see why there is such a hulibaloo over this. Like it or not, standard Bluray discs hold loads more data than standard dual layer DVDs. I'm sure everybody who has a game console knew that going into their purchase, they obviously decided whether that was an important buying factor or not. Case closed. Now, what is the point of this thread other than to start a fanboy war?

"with great power, comes great responsibility."

Tony_Stark said:

I fail to see why there is such a hulibaloo over this. Like it or not, standard Bluray discs hold loads more data than standard dual layer DVDs. I'm sure everybody who has a game console knew that going into thier purchaes, they obviously decided whether that was an important buying factor or not. Case closed. Now, what is the point of this thread other than to start a fanboy war?

Ask a mod

PearlJam said:

Why is this a problem, but mandatory installations are ok? There are more games out there on PS3 that have mandatory installations, compared to multi-disc games on 360.

One forces you to swap out the disc a few times, which takes a  few seconds or a minute if you're slow.

The other forces you to clutter up your HDD and waste several minutes, JUST to try the game. What if you want to go back to a game a few weeks later, but you already deleted the install data? What if the game sucks? You wasted time installing it for nothing, and now have to waste more time deleting it.

I swear these PlayStation extremists will spin anything.

Owning a console which allows the user to purchase and self-install a non-proprietary relatively inexpensive 2.5 SATA hard drive is NOT extreme.  It's smart shopping.  And I'm sure PlayStation extremists will be happy to spin that hard drive as well, enjoying those games.

LivingMetal said:

Owning a console which allows the user to purchase and self-install a non-proprietary relatively inexpensive 2.5 SATA hard drive is NOT extreme.  It's smart shopping.  And I'm sure PlayStation extremists will be happy to spin that hard drive as well, enjoying those games.

Should be noted hard drives aren't essential for the 360 but mandatory for PS3.

360 users that don't have a hard drive but want to download things can just use USB memory sticks as well.

Recently Completed