By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - L.A. Noire was once a six-disc game on Xbox 360

Can't we just all admit the PS3 version is the better version this time regardless of how some feels toward a console. I mean come on 360 had a better version of GTA 4 and wayyyyy better version of RDR.

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Oversensitive fanboyz of a megacorp that must never be named in negative contexts to avoid hurting their feelings, trying to persuade themselves that disc swapping is not passé and annoying, but instead vintage and cool: priceless.  O-) 

Passe? Are you implying disc swapping was chic at one time?

You are under the illusion that swapping discs after hours and hours is a big deal. Or maybe you're just reaching for anything to make PS3 using Bluray not seem like a bad choice. Sony lost record amounts of money and what do they have to show for it? You don't have to get up to swap a disc. Money well spent!

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

When PC games need bluray i will see the need. Until then I am fine with DVD or multiple DVD's or download. But if PC's the graphic king do not need bluray than why do xbox's?

Wait. Let me get this right.

Some of you thought that disc swapping would be like loading the game from the beginning (main menu)?

LOL.

Think of it as installing software on Windows where it prompts you to insert the next disc and hit any key to continue. Good luck finding that Any key, though.

Mr Puggsly said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Oversensitive fanboyz of a megacorp that must never be named in negative contexts to avoid hurting their feelings, trying to persuade themselves that disc swapping is not passé and annoying, but instead vintage and cool: priceless.  O-) 

Passe? Are you implying disc swapping was chic at one time?

You are under the illusion that swapping discs after hours and hours is a big deal. Or maybe you're just reaching for anything to make PS3 using Bluray not seem like a bad choice. Sony lost record amounts of money and what do they have to show for it? You don't have to get up to swap a disc. Money well spent!

Disc swapping was annoying on PC too, my favourite platform, and it had a peak during the transition from CD to DVD, when DVD was still expensive and not present in the majority of PCs yet, so SW houses released their biggest (as size, not necessarily success) games on multiple CDs, with no complete HDD install option when average HDD space was less than 40GB, and often only the most successful received a DVD version immediately or later, when a budget edition was released (and often only the most successful received total install - no CD patches).

If PS3 has an advantage, it's pointless to deny it, and during the transition from DVD to BD it's destined to be most evident. And if Sony paid a lot for it, initially selling PS3 at a loss, good for its users.

Immediately after PS3 situation comes the PC, currently, as HDD size grew enough in the last 10 years to allow complete installs even of the biggest games, so we PC users, not having Sony partially funding a BDD adoption for us, can wait for prices to drop and install from DVDs still avoiding disc swaps after the initial installation effort.

Third comes Wii that being SD needs less space and it's still fine with just one DVD per game.

And on this issue last comes XB360, sorry.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Mr Puggsly said:

I'm kinda reluctant to believe Vanquish was difficult to fit on a DVD but I haven't played it. Red Dead is a great example of how much you can do with a DVD. Just so you know Fallout: New Vegas is only like a 4.7 GB install and that game has a ton content.

We saw a lot of articles of developers complaining about storage space. But we are almost 6 years into this gen and a single DVD has been sufficient for  99% of the games released. If more games start needing a disc swap in the middle of a campaign, who cares? There were a lot of multi disc games in past gens and nobody bitched this much.

Well, it doesn't take many large textures to cover desert and burned down buildings. That game is not too prety.

Also, give developers a larger disc capacity as standard and they will fill them up, or at least will more frequently excede the capacity of the old medium. Making multi disk games is a production inconvenience.

It's like PC vs Consoles. PC has more power, yet 99% of games run on consoles so we don't ever need a next gen no?

Mr Puggsly said:

Wow, your being a little bit of a smart ass.

Here it is, plain and simple, I as a consumer have the better option of playing all my games off of one disk, when I'm forced to swap disks on another console, then that makes dealing with that console a nuisance. If Microsoft aren't willing to fix the issue, then that just means more of money will go towards the console that is giving me less of a slight irritation.

Also, like the other 50% of 360 owners, my console sounds like a jet engine, despite being bought in early 2009. I don't want the console to overheat, I want to hear what's going on in the game without any interference from bad hardware design and I don't want to over blow my sound system just so I can avoid the constant roar coming out of my console. If I install my games to the hard drive, it means my console doesn't heat up as much, the roar is toned down to a timid growl and I can happily play my games in peace. Also, like 50% of 360 owners, my hard drive is small, it involves me constantly deleting the multiple disk installs and then replacing them every time I want to play a new game, my transition from Dead Space 2 to Mass Effect 2 brought up this issue. I don't have any of these issues on my PS3, had the 360 had a larger format, then the installing wouldn't be as frequent or as much of a headache.

No other console on the market suffers from these issues, it's one exclusive to the 360, which is odd in this day and age.

Whatever though, my reply was late and I can understand if your not interested in replying, I'm not that interested in jumping back into this, I'll just be repeating myself on an open and shut case issue.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Alby_da_Wolf said:

It's ironic that a Sony fan says this in this forum, which is Sonyworld.

Doobie_wop said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Wow, your being a little bit of a smart ass.

Here it is, plain and simple, I as a consumer have the better option of playing all my games off of one disk, when I'm forced to swap disks on another console, then that makes dealing with that console a nuisance. If Microsoft aren't willing to fix the issue, then that just means more of money will go towards the console that is giving me less of a slight irritation.

Also, like the other 50% of 360 owners, my console sounds like a jet engine, despite being bought in early 2009. I don't want the console to overheat, I want to hear what's going on in the game without any interference from bad hardware design and I don't want to over blow my sound system just so I can avoid the constant roar coming out of my console. If I install my games to the hard drive, it means my console doesn't heat up as much, the roar is toned down to a timid growl and I can happily play my games in peace. Also, like 50% of 360 owners, my hard drive is small, it involves me constantly deleting the multiple disk installs and then replacing them every time I want to play a new game, my transition from Dead Space 2 to Mass Effect 2 brought up this issue. I don't have any of these issues on my PS3, had the 360 had a larger format, then the installing wouldn't be as frequent or as much of a headache.

No other console on the market suffers from these issues, it's one exclusive to the 360, which is odd in this day and age.

Whatever though, my reply was late and I can understand if your not interested in replying, I'm not that interested in jumping back into this, I'll just be repeating myself on an open and shut case issue.

And this takes us to another point: people pretending that smaller and more expensive proprietary HDDs aren't just a nuisance with no benefits and just disadvantages for the users compared to standard HDDs.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Kynes said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

It's ironic that a Sony fan says this in this forum, which is Sonyworld.

I'm a PC gamer.