By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - L.A. Noire was once a six-disc game on Xbox 360

How are the three discs split up?

Some people are saying that its not a big deal because you'll only have to switch discs three times over the game,but I was under the impression that this was a Rockstar type open world game like GTA or RDR.  Is this correct?  The world seems like the asset intensive thing, but if you only have to switch discs three times that would mean that they managed to fit the entire world on each disc?

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Around the Network

LOL :D man some people are mad about this or what...it's not a big deal but people are getting angry and making some amusing comments in here.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Horrorfest said:

Absolutely pathetic how we still have games released on multiple discs. The PS3 version is superior alone for the fact that it is on one disc, only an idiot who has both consoles would pick up the xbox version.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

cool pic i found xD

Oh God that brings back memories!

I thought people were passed this kinda stuff XD

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

JOKA_ said:

How are the three discs split up?

Some people are saying that its not a big deal because you'll only have to switch discs three times over the game,but I was under the impression that this was a Rockstar type open world game like GTA or RDR.  Is this correct?  The world seems like the asset intensive thing, but if you only have to switch discs three times that would mean that they managed to fit the entire world on each disc?

You swap discs as you progress through the story. Rockstar said the facial animations require a lot of storage space. I'm curious if the game has FMVs as well.

We've seen plenty of open world games fit on a single DVD before.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

Much more frequent in the past few years? How many multi disc games have there been over the years?

2011 has LA Noire, Rage, and there might be others.

2010 had FFXIII, Castlevania, and Mass Effect 2.

2009 had Star Ocean and Forza 3.

2008 had Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, and Lost Odyssey.

2007 had Blue Dragon.

I could be missing a few but as you can see multi disc games have remained pretty stable over the years.

So over 700 games have been released on discs and a very tiny number actually needed multiple discs. New 360 discs will give developers another 1.15GB of space to work with and they've done amazing things with what they had.

I'm kinda reluctant to believe Vanquish was difficult to fit on a DVD but I haven't played it. Red Dead is a great example of how much you can do with a DVD. Just so you know Fallout: New Vegas is only like a 4.7 GB install and that game has a ton content.

We saw a lot of articles of developers complaining about storage space. But we are almost 6 years into this gen and a single DVD has been sufficient for  99% of the games released. If more games start needing a disc swap in the middle of a campaign, who cares? There were a lot of multi disc games in past gens and nobody bitched this much.

There's also Forza 4 and Mass Effect 3 coming around the end of the year, both of which are franchises that required only one disc at the start of this generation, and there's Final Fantasy XIII-2 coming not long after.

In the end, the number of big budget games (games that usually have more content) coming on multiple discs is increasing as this generation progresses, and such games will likely make up a relatively higher percentage of the average player's library than they will the Xbox 360's overall library.

Not to say that a game coming on multiple discs matters in any significant way, but it is definitely true that the number of such games has been increasing.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

cool pic i found xD

This reminds me of the N64 cartridge Final Fantasy VII version.

Doobie_wop said:

I don't think Microsoft should jump ship and move to a new format next week, they just have to do something about it next generation. Storage on the 360 is starting to become a problem, it doesn't need to be fixed right away, but Microsoft are obviously updating their disk storage because they know it's an issue.  

Swapping disks is an uneeded inconvience, if it can be avoided, then it should be, it's as simple as that. It also doesn't help that Microsoft have sold more than half of there consoles with such a small hard drive, it was an annoyance having to install all these different disks and then deleting them straight after so that I can install the next game (going from Dead Space 2 to Mass Effect 2). I have a 20 gig hard drive, I haven't got the time or the patience to put up with more of that, especially when my other consoles just need one disk in, a start up screen and I'm playing with no fuss.

Well thanks for sharing the obvious but we're talking about this gen. DVD won't get the job done next gen and Bluray will be more economical by then. Sony rushed into Bluray and its been a financial disaster.

"Swapping disks is an uneeded inconvience"? Well if you want to fit a game in DVDs without sacrificing content obviously swapping disc is very needed inconvenience.

You know most people just play their 360 games off the discs. Just throwing that out there. I assume you do the same with PS3. So I don't know why you're babbling about installs.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

makingmusic476 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Much more frequent in the past few years? How many multi disc games have there been over the years?

2011 has LA Noire, Rage, and there might be others.

2010 had FFXIII, Castlevania, and Mass Effect 2.

2009 had Star Ocean and Forza 3.

2008 had Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, and Lost Odyssey.

2007 had Blue Dragon.

I could be missing a few but as you can see multi disc games have remained pretty stable over the years.

So over 700 games have been released on discs and a very tiny number actually needed multiple discs. New 360 discs will give developers another 1.15GB of space to work with and they've done amazing things with what they had.

I'm kinda reluctant to believe Vanquish was difficult to fit on a DVD but I haven't played it. Red Dead is a great example of how much you can do with a DVD. Just so you know Fallout: New Vegas is only like a 4.7 GB install and that game has a ton content.

We saw a lot of articles of developers complaining about storage space. But we are almost 6 years into this gen and a single DVD has been sufficient for  99% of the games released. If more games start needing a disc swap in the middle of a campaign, who cares? There were a lot of multi disc games in past gens and nobody bitched this much.

There's also Forza 4 and Mass Effect 3 coming around the end of the year, both of which are franchises that required only one disc at the start of this generation, and there's Final Fantasy XIII-2 coming not long after.

In the end, the number of big budget games (games that usually have more content) coming on multiple discs is increasing as this generation progresses, and such games will likely make up a relatively higher percentage of the average player's library than they will the Xbox 360's overall library.

Not to say that a game coming on multiple discs matters in any significant way, but it is definitely true that the number of such games has been increasing.

Is Forza 4 confirmed to be multiple discs? I wouldn't be surprised but I didn't hear that.

Mass Effect 3 and FFXIII-2 are coming in 2012 I believe.

He said the number of multi disc games increased in the past few years but I was showing its actually been pretty stable. I presume in the coming years it could increase, but so far its not been an issue.

Recently Completed

RolStoppable said:

The more important questions are:

1) Can the game be played immediately or does it need to be installed? (It's a shame that this even has to be asked for a console game.)

2) How long are the loading times in each version?

Because those are the things that can really cost the player time. Swapping discs twice is a matter of at most one minute.

i dont know about you, but quiting out of a game, then ejecting it. takes up a little, up to 30 seconds getting to the consoles main menu. then putting in a game having it load up, and get into the game where you actually play takes up to several minutes. the whole proccess could very well almost take 5 minutes. 

which is not a substantial amount of time, but can definitely remove yo from the experience