By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I on my way to convert me into a into a PC lover?

Zkuq said:

Funny. A few months ago it seemed pretty hard to find almost anyone who didn't think PC gaming sucks, let alone people who like it. Now it seems that things have changed at least a little bit.

Could it be related to the fact fact that this console generation has lost its novelty? I personally think it's more software related.

Around the Network
pariz said:
Zkuq said:

Funny. A few months ago it seemed pretty hard to find almost anyone who didn't think PC gaming sucks, let alone people who like it. Now it seems that things have changed at least a little bit.

Could it be related to the fact fact that this console generation has lost its novelty? I personally think it's more software related.

I suppose the console was has lost most of its heat already... But on the other hand, I don't think PC games have gotten much better either.

Whatever. I'm just happy to see more people discover the joys of PC gaming instead of blindly (misinformed is probably a better word) judging it.

vlad321 said:

The last part about fights is false. I always have to listen about how AMD/ATI are somehow better than Intel or nVidia.

Yes, there's that, but I'd put that kind of fighting into a different category; it's all the same platform. It's also something that only the more nerdy types fight over.

In fact, I find the GPU fanboy wars to be quite useful and interesting, since they often go into technical detail. You can learn a lot from them. The only thing I've learnt from console fanboy wars is how stupid people can be.

And also bear in mind that 90% of the ATi vs Nvidia stuff is trolling, and often quite hilarious trolling. I don't think many people actually take it very seriously.

pariz said:

In fact it is an AMD Athlon II X4 635 2.9 Ghz Quad Core. I miss wrote it.  Did you notice my mistake and still thought my processor was bad? I was told it was a pretty good one but then you made me feel like it is not.

Who told you that? Athlon II is AMD's "budget" line of processors. Or rather, was. They're last generation's budget processors. They're easily outperformed by Phenom IIs and Intel Core IIs and even more outperformed by the i5 and i7 series.

That said, if gaming is the most intensive thing you do with your PC and you're not going to play everything with maximum graphics settings, the Athlon II will see you through for the time being. But you'll probably want to replace it in a year or two.

Here's a PROTIP for buying processors. Ignore the clock speed. It doesn't actually tell you that much about how a CPU will perform. A modern high-end processor will be able to do more in each clock cycle than an older, budget processor. You might look at two CPUs that both have a 3.0GHz clock speed but have different prices and think that the cheaper one is a bargain, but when you compare how they actually perform, you'll see that there can actually be a big difference. I'd recommend looking at benchmarks on sites like tomshardware.com when you're buying components; they give you a better idea of how well they actually perform. Don't get me wrong, benchmarks aren't perfect, but they're still very useful. Clock speed is only useful when you're looking at CPUs from the same family (for example, when you're comparing one Athlon II to another). Unfortunately, when you're buying processors, you usually get what you pay for, so if you want performance, you'll need to splash out.

Zkuq said:

With "age" comes "maturity" and "wisdom." Whatever those become in a given analogy, there it is.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Kudistos Megistos said:
pariz said:

In fact it is an AMD Athlon II X4 635 2.9 Ghz Quad Core. I miss wrote it.  Did you notice my mistake and still thought my processor was bad? I was told it was a pretty good one but then you made me feel like it is not.

Who told you that? Athlon II is AMD's "budget" line of processors. Or rather, was. They're last generation's budget processors. They're easily outperformed by Phenom IIs and Intel Core IIs and even more outperformed by the i5 and i7 series.

That said, if gaming is the most intensive thing you do with your PC and you're not going to play everything with maximum graphics settings, the Athlon II will see you through for the time being. But you'll probably want to replace it in a year or two.

Here's a PROTIP for buying processors. Ignore the clock speed. It doesn't actually tell you that much about how a CPU will perform. A modern high-end processor will be able to do more in each clock cycle than an older, budget processor. You might look at two CPUs that both have a 3.0GHz clock speed but have different prices and think that the cheaper one is a bargain, but when you compare how they actually perform, you'll see that there can actually be a big difference. I'd recommend looking at benchmarks on sites like tomshardware.com when you're buying components; they give you a better idea of how well they actually perform. Don't get me wrong, benchmarks aren't perfect, but they're still very useful. Clock speed is only useful when you're looking at CPUs from the same family (for example, when you're comparing one Athlon II to another). Unfortunately, when you're buying processors, you usually get what you pay for, so if you want performance, you'll need to splash out.

Thanks for the tip and the data!!

I had no desktop but an  old laptop when I bought my new PC and I had little knowledge on hardware these days so it was as if I had to learn it from scratch.

For the money I had and my spectations I think I got me a pretty good computer. I'm planning on upgrading eventually but for the time being I think I'll be ok as I can play the games I want at a better quality  to a PS3, and that's enough for me.

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
pariz said:
Zkuq said:

I suppose the console was has lost most of its heat already... But on the other hand, I don't think PC games have gotten much better either.

Whatever. I'm just happy to see more people discover the joys of PC gaming instead of blindly (misinformed is probably a better word) judging it.

Well, that was my case, though in my defense I gotta add that I didn't share my prejudice with anyone and I didn't try to convince anybody to think as I did cause I was aware of the fact that I had no empirical evidence to support it.

I have recently "discovered" (as in pulled my head out of my ass) pc gaming as well and fully realized its true value.  Ive had a gaming rig for a while and just a few days ago pulled the trigger on a new gaming laptop (sager np8150-s1 stock besides the wireless card from xoticpc for those interested).  I knew about all of the positives that comes with gaming on pc, but never cared enough to pull me away from my achievements/trophies and the comfort level I had with console gaming.  Everything pc gaming offers is exactly what im looking for, and will make myself get used to a keyboard/mouse combo as the benefits are far too great to ignore any longer.  Mods alone make this more than worth it, and I thought so enough to by me a nice portable machine as this was a huge deal for me too, I move around alot and dont like being tied down to one place which is another reason console gaming is becoming less and less appealing to me by the day.  I will still purchase certain console exclusives and the one or two games all of my friends play online, but for the most part my gaming will definitely shift to pc, especially since the witcher 2 is right around the corner.  I feel like a whole new man haha, im such a nerd.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE  PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

hmmm, Well I love PC's it's my favorite. Though my favorites of the past Baldurs Gate 2, Mech Warrior 2, Deus Ex... are all quite old. And I Dead Space 2 is my favorite game this gen (but that's on everything).

But I like JRPG's a lot. And the awesome thing. PCSX2 can play ps2 games and it looks a lot better (Not all games work and you need a good PC). So I've replayed FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, Shadows of the Collosus and Xenosaga on it.

Final Fantasy XII and Kingdom Hearts looks really awesome still. And Shadows Of the Collosus aweful framerate is fixed if you have a good enough computer, which for me made it a lot better game.

Snesboy said:
A Bad Clown said:
NiKKoM said:

Good luck to you! and to the other 3 PC Lovers  on this site!

Shio,Vlad, SSJ, and...Snesboy? That's 4!

I was mentioned in a post :DDDD

5, thank you.

naznatips said:
Snesboy said:
A Bad Clown said:
NiKKoM said:

Good luck to you! and to the other 3 PC Lovers  on this site!

Shio,Vlad, SSJ, and...Snesboy? That's 4!

I was mentioned in a post :DDDD

5, thank you.

make that 6 lol

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!