By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Vgchartz ranking game--New Super Mario Bros Wii!!

Acevil said:
09tarheel said:

Pros:

Surprisingly challenging.

Great level design.

4 Player Co-op is chaotic fun.

Good length and replay value.

Cons

Uninspired art style.

No online play.

Score: 9.0

Similar to this, but I don't necessarily agree with the cons, since I found the art style to be decent, and have no resentment of lack of online play. 

However I will state one con, is lack of creating two note worthy characters (I dislike the two toads). 

9.4/10

I agree with this con.  I wish they had used the original Toad and Princess Peach.

9.0/10

Around the Network

9.5/10

For all it's bad points, I still don't care since I had been waiting for a new 2D mario for about 6-7 years ( played SMB 1-4 and Yoshi's Island thanks to GBA ports )

1 day left to vote.

RolStoppable said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Jay520 said:

@radient

if you had no intention to play online, then it wouldn't bug you at all. When I initially decided to buy the game, I never once thought about online. Some people might want it, fine, I could see how that bugs them. Why would I be bugged by the lack of a feature that wouldn't affect me either way? 

Besides, I rarely, if ever, play the Wii online.

I would affect if you if you were to try it. The "You don't miss it if you never had it saying" applys here. But honestly, only old people who don't want to adapt to technology say that lol

I disagree. The "vanilla ice-cream with ketchup" saying applies here. Not every addition to something that is already good is necessarily a good addition or something that you at least should be willing to try out.

Would Mario Kart Wii be a worse game, if it had no online features whatsoever? No, not at all. Online is of such low relevance for me that its omission wouldn't bother me. And since this thread is about ranking games by purely personal standards, everybody is free to give NSMB Wii a perfect score even though it has no online play whatsoever.

But the biggest offense you are guilty of is not just that you are telling others what they should want in their games. It's that you don't even like 2D platformers to begin with, yet you are insisting what and how the genre has to be. You might as well tell women which tampon brand they should use, because your experience with that subject is about as good as your knowledge about what makes a good 2D platformer.

I have to disagree there.  I've spent over 100 hours online on MKWii and if it had no online features I wouldn't have spent much of those 100 plus hours on the single player.  I've entered every single one of the bi-monthly MKWii competitions and regularly check my time trial scores against those of others.  MKWii is one of the few examples of games that I actually play online.  If it had no online I would consider it less impressive and a step back in modes from MKDS.

NSMBWii is a different matter though.  While the option of online mutliplayer would've been nice (and I think it could've proved as a sort of killer app for Wii speak), I wouldn't have used it much at if all.  Playing against my cousin who lives in Cambridge with wii speak would be fun, but would at the same time be lacking something that the local co-op has.  This whole deal has been vastly overrated.

RolStoppable said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Jay520 said:

@radient

if you had no intention to play online, then it wouldn't bug you at all. When I initially decided to buy the game, I never once thought about online. Some people might want it, fine, I could see how that bugs them. Why would I be bugged by the lack of a feature that wouldn't affect me either way? 

Besides, I rarely, if ever, play the Wii online.

I would affect if you if you were to try it. The "You don't miss it if you never had it saying" applys here. But honestly, only old people who don't want to adapt to technology say that lol

I disagree. The "vanilla ice-cream with ketchup" saying applies here. Not every addition to something that is already good is necessarily a good addition or something that you at least should be willing to try out.

Would Mario Kart Wii be a worse game, if it had no online features whatsoever? No, not at all. Online is of such low relevance for me that its omission wouldn't bother me. And since this thread is about ranking games by purely personal standards, everybody is free to give NSMB Wii a perfect score even though it has no online play whatsoever.

But the biggest offense you are guilty of is not just that you are telling others what they should want in their games. It's that you don't even like 2D platformers to begin with, yet you are insisting what and how the genre has to be. You might as well tell women which tampon brand they should use, because your experience with that subject is about as good as your knowledge about what makes a good 2D platformer.

Every addition  added can be good thing if done right. Hell, sometimes it doesn't even have to be done right. Alteast i would go "atleast there is online" but nope, nothing. No co-op, no nothing.

And i never said it wasn't a good 2d platformer, but anyone can see (atleast i can) that the game begs for online. If MKWII had no online, that would be horrondus. Oh and i can tell people what to buy and do whenever i want. Ill tell you right now, go buy inFAMOUS, there, and I would be damn proud to tell women what tampon brand they should use =p. I was simply putting my input in the thread because in my opinion there is no way in hell this game deserves a 10. Just like in some peoples opinion it does.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
radiantshadow92 said:

Every addition  added can be good thing if done right. Hell, sometimes it doesn't even have to be done right. Alteast i would go "atleast there is online" but nope, nothing. No co-op, no nothing.

And i never said it wasn't a good 2d platformer, but anyone can see (atleast i can) that the game begs for online. If MKWII had no online, that would be horrondus. Oh and i can tell people what to buy and do whenever i want. Ill tell you right now, go buy inFAMOUS, there, and I would be damn proud to tell women what tampon brand they should use =p. I was simply putting my input in the thread because in my opinion there is no way in hell this game deserves a 10. Just like in some peoples opinion it does.

Sure you can.

But you have to expect that I'll be there and is that something you are really looking forward to?

If i get to tell you to play infamous, then hell yah.

Jay520 said:

@kyliedog

I geuss it's just me then. I only played 2-player co-op and I had some of the most fun I've ever had playing a video game. I had lots of fun and enjoyed my game. 

Jay, I wouldn't take anyone that really said NSMB Wii is just NSMB with different powers seriously, you're in the majority here obviously.  It's like the people that literally thought NSMB Wii was a remake of the DS game.  NSMB Wii is completely different other than the character you use, level design and the like, it's also a lot harder than the DS game. 

Basically you're right on the money with your original comment.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

seriously I haven't touched a 2D Mario in years and I found it to be really easy.

I pretty much ran through every level and only lost very few lives.

radiantshadow92 said:

I only played the game for a few levels so i am not going to rate it. But it really surprises me how some people can rate the game so high without it having online. Honestly, its something that should be in the game that should bug you guys. I agree that it might be a great game but giving it a 10 is just ridiculous. It has no online, therefore it is not perfect and could have been something way better. The game is begging for it too.

A game can't ever possibly be perfect in the sense that "nothing could make it better". That's obviously not what a 10 score mean.

Besides, the local co-op here (and to me specially 2 player) schools any co-op out there. It's amazing. What it boils down to is that I, as well as millions of people, simply had the most sheer, pure fun in a game this generation with it. If that doesn't deserve a few tens I have no idea what does.

And this fun you have in the local co-op (which obviously depends on who you're playing) would clearly (to me as well as to many of the people given high scores here, I assume) not translate completly, or anywhere near that, online.

Sure, it's an extra option, the game would be "better". But so would if it had an extra world. I'd gladly take and extra world over online here. Hell, it could have four times as many levels and it'd play them all with a smile. Should the game not get 10s because it doesn't?

KylieDog said:

...because if you ignore co-op then it is pretty much NSMB with a few different powers for over double the price...

Sure... ¬¬

Anyway, a game has to be good when one of it's most mentioned faults has zero effect on gameplay and enjoyinment of it.

Sry, double-post.