By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Vgchartz ranking game--New Super Mario Bros Wii!!

@kyliedog

I geuss it's just me then. I only played 2-player co-op and I had some of the most fun I've ever had playing a video game. I had lots of fun and enjoyed my game. 

Around the Network

@radient

if you had no intention to play online, then it wouldn't bug you at all. When I initially decided to buy the game, I never once thought about online. Some people might want it, fine, I could see how that bugs them. Why would I be bugged by the lack of a feature that wouldn't affect me either way? 

Besides, I rarely, if ever, play the Wii online.

radiantshadow92 said:
Ninpanda said:

I'm surprised so many of you want online multiplayer.

It works for competitive games like Mario Kart or Smash Bros, but NSMBW requires teamwork. It's hard enough to get people to co-operate and not constantly throw you off a cliff (or to resist the urge of doing so yourself) when those people are sitting right next to you. How do you think it could possibly work without any form of communication? (I'm pretty sure absolutely bloody no one owns a Wii Speak.)

Besides, the Wii's online infrastructure isn't exactly renowned for its high quality.

Aaaaand I completely managed to forget about the existences of "Coin Battle" and "Free for All" modes until after writing this post. But damn it, I don't feel like erasing it.

You act like all online don't require teamwork....BUT they do. Tons of them do and it could work perfectly for mario.

Sure, but in a game such as NSMBW, where all it takes to foil the other players' game is to give them a little extra nudge, I don't think it'd work. At least not without some sort of communication.

And with that, would no doubt come the potty-mouthed frat boys and teens hurling insults through their headsets. And that wouldn't work too well for a family-oriented game.

Alright, I'll give you 2-player co-op. That might work sometimes, if neither player is a troll, afk, or just flat-out incompetent. But when you've got 3 or 4 players trying to reach a common goal, one bad apple is all it takes to spoil the barrel.

But maybe I'm just not having enough fate in the online gamer community. (Though my online gaming experiences so far haven't been exactly given me a good impression of it.)

Wii has online?

Ninpanda said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Ninpanda said:

I'm surprised so many of you want online multiplayer.

It works for competitive games like Mario Kart or Smash Bros, but NSMBW requires teamwork. It's hard enough to get people to co-operate and not constantly throw you off a cliff (or to resist the urge of doing so yourself) when those people are sitting right next to you. How do you think it could possibly work without any form of communication? (I'm pretty sure absolutely bloody no one owns a Wii Speak.)

Besides, the Wii's online infrastructure isn't exactly renowned for its high quality.

Aaaaand I completely managed to forget about the existences of "Coin Battle" and "Free for All" modes until after writing this post. But damn it, I don't feel like erasing it.

You act like all online don't require teamwork....BUT they do. Tons of them do and it could work perfectly for mario.

Sure, but in a game such as NSMBW, where all it takes to foil the other players' game is to give them a little extra nudge, I don't think it'd work. At least not without some sort of communication.

And with that, would no doubt come the potty-mouthed frat boys and teens hurling insults through their headsets. And that wouldn't work too well for a family-oriented game.

Alright, I'll give you 2-player co-op. That might work sometimes, if neither player is a troll, afk, or just flat-out incompetent. But when you've got 3 or 4 players trying to reach a common goal, one bad apple is all it takes to spoil the barrel.

But maybe I'm just not having enough fate in the online gamer community. (Though my online gaming experiences so far haven't been exactly given me a good impression of it.)

Even if, they could fix for little things that make trolls so rampant online. It could really be great. But they just didn't try it at all, and if people just keep giving thier games 10/10 then they are almost never going to change it. And change is good most of time, a little online don't hurt. Or hell, even a level builder. Imagine what the community could do. To me it just seems like it is missing features that other platformers like LBP had day one. It doesn't have to be robust or a complete haul over, but some attempt would be great.

Around the Network
Jay520 said:

@radient

if you had no intention to play online, then it wouldn't bug you at all. When I initially decided to buy the game, I never once thought about online. Some people might want it, fine, I could see how that bugs them. Why would I be bugged by the lack of a feature that wouldn't affect me either way? 

Besides, I rarely, if ever, play the Wii online.

I would affect if you if you were to try it. The "You don't miss it if you never had it saying" applys here. But honestly, only old people who don't want to adapt to technology say that lol

I rated this game lower than just about anyone other than kyliedog... and I disagree about it needing online.

Imo this is one thing that I love about nintendo is they strive for local multiplayer while others strive more for Online.
I mean, you'd have to dock most games for not having local-multiplayer or multiplayer at all. Or whatever.

@Radiant

Some people want online. Some people don't. Some just wanted to play local online. Those people got what they wanted and they were satisfied and felt the game was perfect and gave it a 10/10. That's reasonable. Others didn't, so they downgraded the game because it lacked feature they wanted. That's reasonable. Nintendo can address those people and maybe add online/level editor in the next game.

Before playing a game, I have expectations and I rate the game based on how that game fullfills my expectations. NSMBWII Surpassed my expectations and then Some! It was Perfect Imo!

ishiki said:

I rated this game lower than just about anyone other than kyliedog... and I disagree about it needing online.

Imo this is one thing that I love about nintendo is they strive for local multiplayer while others strive more for Online.
I mean, you'd have to dock most games for not having local-multiplayer or multiplayer at all. Or whatever.

And I hope people are doing exactly that.
Still bugs me that NFS games seem to have forgotten about the splitscreen mode. That's an obvious flaw of the series this gen.

radiantshadow92 said:

I only played the game for a few levels so i am not going to rate it. But it really surprises me how some people can rate the game so high without it having online. Honestly, its something that should be in the game that should bug you guys. I agree that it might be a great game but giving it a 10 is just ridiculous. It has no online, therefore it is not perfect and could have been something way better. The game is begging for it too.

What? A game need online to be perfect? And this game with this kind of co-op wouldn't work with online. Maybe you need to play more of it.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile