By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - why did mass effect 2 only sell 2.3m on 360?

Machina said:

What did you expect?

It's tracking nicely above the original and well on course for 3 million lifetime. I loved the game, and I wish it was doing the numbers Gears manages (and Gears did Mass Effect numbers, or worse, much worse...) but it's unreasonable to expect that.

When did Gears do worse than ME? When did it not do better than ME.

Around the Network

Clearly the actual demand base for a title like Mass Effect simply isn't huge on 360.  I mean even a 10 million selling title is only actually appealing to 20% of a 50 million console install base.

Reviews, etc only matter where the demand is there.  I'd always figure a title like Mass Effect simply has a much lower ceiling than something like CoD or Halo on 360.

It's not like every game has some huge potential that goes untapped.  A lot of titles have ceilings based on the demographics on the console.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

i wanted to be interested in this game, bit i just couldnt get into it.

im sure its a good game for what it is, but i cant understand how it got the reviews it got seems more like an 8 ish game.

the gunplay seemed very unrefined, the cover system seems dated, and the 3rd person perpective seems odd and a lot different than most TPS. 

It released day and date with the PC version so that probably ate into sales. It's also an WRPG/Shooter hybrid so the market for it is probably smaller on the 360 than for a title like Gears. Its really not done that badly and we don't know what the PC sales were like.

SvennoJ said:

I would not say I hated it but they did lose a sale in me, after reading the reviews I bought it 2nd hand, played it, and traded it back in.

My problems with ME2 were, way less story progression then ME1, there were about 3 missions involving the main story.  Less exploration, less puzzles and more lineair corridor shooting then ME1. No attachment to the main char since I lost my ME1 save due to RROD.

Plus it killed off my favorite char on approach to the last mission because I had not upgraded the ship, not liking the mining mini game.

I'm glad 3 will have a bit more RPG elements, hopefully that doesn't just mean a few more upgrades for weapons and armor, but also more exploration and puzzles.

At least it wasn't as big a step back as DA2 was.

No, YOU did that.  All those RPG elements that you say were stripped out and left a linear corridor shooter?  You ignoring the RPG elements caused your favorite character to die.  You didn't build up the ship defenses.  It's your fault, not the games.  Bad SvennoJ.

To everyone else:  it's constant mistaken posts like this that chased off many on the fence about the game.  It's one thing to have an opinion, but there were a lot of erroneous opinions about the game that were spread all over the place that had to have a negative effect on sales.

Around the Network
Machina said:
dsage01 said:
Machina said:

What did you expect?

It's tracking nicely above the original and well on course for 3 million lifetime. I loved the game, and I wish it was doing the numbers Gears manages (and Gears did Mass Effect numbers, or worse, much worse...) but it's unreasonable to expect that.

When did Gears do worse than ME? When did it not do better than ME.

And when did I say either of those things? I said I wish it was the case.

sorry messed up on that

only 2.3 mill?  2.3 mill to me, and to most developers, is fairly successful.  all games cant be compared to wii sports or halo or cod in terms of sales.

Check out my video game music blog:

http://games-and-guitars.synergize.co/

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

He who hesitates is lost

It probably sold less, actually.

We have the first 6 Weeks overtracked for the game. EA said they sold 1.6 Million units on 360 and PC combined (including DD sales) by the end of March 2010. Links here, and here.

360 sales for the first 6 Weeks are currently sitting at 1,447,548

PC EMEAA Retail Sales for the first 6 Weeks are at like 75,000

Add them together and you get 1.52 Million.

Considering that the game sold much better in America than it did in EMEAA, and that DD sales aren't even counted in those PC numbers, I think it's safe to say it's still overtracked, despite a recent downwards adjustment on the 360 version. Probably by another 150-200k...

Would also like to say that Dante's Inferno, FIFA and Battlefield data all matches up to what was said by EA.

Because it didn't say "Call of Duty" on the cover.

Only 2.3 million? Its one of the most popular WRPGs on the market. Put in perspective all the games it has outsold and it will with legs.

Bioware also has a big PC following so we can assume a good number of people got this on the PC. Whether it was legally or illegally obtained.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)