By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - why did mass effect 2 only sell 2.3m on 360?

Darth Tigris said:

Too many haters

- RPG fanboys complained it was too much of a shooter and was too dumbed down (though likely not playing it enough to recognize the RPG depth)

- Shooter fanboys came in expecting GeoW in space but found out it had too many RPG elements and wasn't as refined as what they're used to in shooters.

- PS3 fanboys took every chance they could to minimize how good the game was due it not being a PS3 exclusive.

- Mass Effect haters kept harping on the problems of the first game (which there were many) and how it's not worth it.

- Bioware haters came out in force to evangelize on how formulaic and boring Bioware games are

- EA haters came out to say how much EA is ruining Bioware and how MGS should've bought them out instead and the game suffers because of it.

- Multiplayer fanboys complain that there is no multiplayer so why bother

Man ...... did I really type up all of that negativity.  I need a hug ...

This!

And why buy a game if it has no Multiplayer? I konw im the last one on the list, but it makes no damn sense to buy a $60 game that has NO replayablity... Sure i can redo the story, but the whole story is meh now because i already beat it, and i dont give 2 shits about unlockables. 

Around the Network

Pathetic of the gaming community imo. Myself included lol

Darth Tigris said:
SvennoJ said:

I would not say I hated it but they did lose a sale in me, after reading the reviews I bought it 2nd hand, played it, and traded it back in.

My problems with ME2 were, way less story progression then ME1, there were about 3 missions involving the main story.  Less exploration, less puzzles and more lineair corridor shooting then ME1. No attachment to the main char since I lost my ME1 save due to RROD.

Plus it killed off my favorite char on approach to the last mission because I had not upgraded the ship, not liking the mining mini game.

I'm glad 3 will have a bit more RPG elements, hopefully that doesn't just mean a few more upgrades for weapons and armor, but also more exploration and puzzles.

At least it wasn't as big a step back as DA2 was.

No, YOU did that.  All those RPG elements that you say were stripped out and left a linear corridor shooter?  You ignoring the RPG elements caused your favorite character to die.  You didn't build up the ship defenses.  It's your fault, not the games.  Bad SvennoJ.

To everyone else:  it's constant mistaken posts like this that chased off many on the fence about the game.  It's one thing to have an opinion, but there were a lot of erroneous opinions about the game that were spread all over the place that had to have a negative effect on sales.

Sure punish the customer for not wanting to put up with a bland time consuming mini game. I did not do more then 2 of the mako missions either in ME1 and it did not punish me for it there.

Imo side missions should give you extra stuff / more options for the rest of the game, not be there to prevent an automatic death of 2 of your characters.

Anyway beside from that minor gripe, my main problem with the game was pretty much zero story advancement concerning the reapers, and the whole collector business did not make any sense at all. It just wasn't as good as ME1.

i did like the mass effect 1 level design better but it just wasn't as smooth as mass effect 2. masybe ill try mass effect 1 on pc one day

SvennoJ said:
Darth Tigris said:
SvennoJ said:

I would not say I hated it but they did lose a sale in me, after reading the reviews I bought it 2nd hand, played it, and traded it back in.

My problems with ME2 were, way less story progression then ME1, there were about 3 missions involving the main story.  Less exploration, less puzzles and more lineair corridor shooting then ME1. No attachment to the main char since I lost my ME1 save due to RROD.

Plus it killed off my favorite char on approach to the last mission because I had not upgraded the ship, not liking the mining mini game.

I'm glad 3 will have a bit more RPG elements, hopefully that doesn't just mean a few more upgrades for weapons and armor, but also more exploration and puzzles.

No, YOU did that.  All those RPG elements that you say were stripped out and left a linear corridor shooter?  You ignoring the RPG elements caused your favorite character to die.  You didn't build up the ship defenses.  It's your fault, not the games.  Bad SvennoJ.

To everyone else:  it's constant mistaken posts like this that chased off many on the fence about the game.  It's one thing to have an opinion, but there were a lot of erroneous opinions about the game that were spread all over the place that had to have a negative effect on sales.

Sure punish the customer for not wanting to put up with a bland time consuming mini game. I did not do more then 2 of the mako missions either in ME1 and it did not punish me for it there.

Imo side missions should give you extra stuff / more options for the rest of the game, not be there to prevent an automatic death of 2 of your characters.

Anyway beside from that minor gripe, my main problem with the game was pretty much zero story advancement concerning the reapers, and the whole collector business did not make any sense at all. It just wasn't as good as ME1.

This was a PERFECT example of how to do side missions.  They are completely optional.  You can finish the game just fine not doing them.  BUT if you don't, there are consequences.  Since you decided not to do the boring stuff, one of your favorite characters died.  The game even made CLEAR what those enhancements did.  Did you really think that would prove to not be important at some point?  Again, bad leadership.  Not Bioware's fault.  Take ownership!

As for no story advancement, I think ME3 will show that ME2 had far more story advancement than you think.  I picked up on a number of things (too many to get into here) that gave insight into the Reapers, how the actions of the first game played a DIRECT impact on the entire plot of this one and even some extremely subtle clues as to how Shepherd was "raised from the dead" (hint: not as benevolent as it seemed ...).  So sit tight if you're a fan.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

You do realise the Xbox 360 has a detachable external harddrive? My first 360 RROD-ed but Ive still got all my old save files as I kept the hard-drive and plugged it into my new one.

It did release along side MAG, which probably stole most of its sales....

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

People know they can pirate it on PC.

really the main reason is the base of players to pull from for WRPG's is smaller than the FPS base on the 360.  Games like oblivion and fallout didn't pull high end FPS numbers either.

The of course you have the fact that ME2 falls victim to the dumbing down philosophy.  Alienating the original fans of the game in order to lure in the elusive FPS market.  I know personally I won't be getting ME3 until it hits the reduced price a year or so later and I wish I would have done the same with ME2. 

Darth Tigris said:

Too many haters

- RPG fanboys complained it was too much of a shooter and was too dumbed down (though likely not playing it enough to recognize the RPG depth)

- Shooter fanboys came in expecting GeoW in space but found out it had too many RPG elements and wasn't as refined as what they're used to in shooters.

- PS3 fanboys took every chance they could to minimize how good the game was due it not being a PS3 exclusive.

- Mass Effect haters kept harping on the problems of the first game (which there were many) and how it's not worth it.

- Bioware haters came out in force to evangelize on how formulaic and boring Bioware games are

- EA haters came out to say how much EA is ruining Bioware and how MGS should've bought them out instead and the game suffers because of it.

- Multiplayer fanboys complain that there is no multiplayer so why bother

Man ...... did I really type up all of that negativity.  I need a hug ...

Well those statements right there are completely true. It half-assed both its gameplay elements hardcore.

Edit: I don't know what the hell happened there....

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835