By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - why did mass effect 2 only sell 2.3m on 360?

Booh! said:

I can't get why this game is so praised. It's a shooter masqueraded as an RPG, mimicking the old Half Life (but not as good as a shooter). Besides that, 2.3 millions is good, isn't it?

Except that...

* Mass Effect 2 had a dialog tree which impacted how the game played out, and also character stats that impacted how you played, and the story.  Included with this was a moral decisions that impacted your character's impact in the world.

* Mass Effect 2 had a massive backstory developed.

* Mass Effect 2 played based on what you did in the prior game.

* You had relationships with different characters.

* Mass Effect 2 tried to tell a story.

So, outside of that, I guess it is just a "It's a shooter masqueraded as an RPG".  And your take on Borderlands is that it is just an FPS with really no RPG elements at all, if Mass Effect 2 isn't really an RPG?

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:

Except that...

* Mass Effect 2 had a dialog tree which impacted how the game played out, and also character stats that impacted how you played, and the story.  Included with this was a moral decisions that impacted your character's impact in the world.

* Mass Effect 2 had a massive backstory developed.

* Mass Effect 2 played based on what you did in the prior game.

* You had relationships with different characters.

* Mass Effect 2 tried to tell a story.

So, outside of that, I guess it is just a "It's a shooter masqueraded as an RPG".  And your take on Borderlands is that it is just an FPS with really no RPG elements at all, if Mass Effect 2 isn't really an RPG?

... Borderlands has loot.

RPG's need loot!

I'll stand by the theory that I mentioned a while back and that is that the PS3/360 has a limited, but core WRPG audience. It's an audience of around 3 million on each console (more on 360 than on PS3) and even though that may seem small, that audience is most likely going to have people that pick up all the WRPGS that release at some point. The same people that buy Oblivion are the same people that'll pick up Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Dragon Age, Mass Efect, Two Worlds, Risen, Divinity and all that stuff. 

The only WRPG that has broken out of that mold would be Fable, but thats most likely down to more extensive marketing, exclusivity and the bundles that it's received (not official bundles, but I do see Fable 2 thrown in with a bunch of games in Australian bundles).

The most Mass Effect 2 could have sold on consoles was three million units, it tried to become more of a shooter, but the general audience aren't into games for just their shooting, they are in them for their balls to the wall action and their quick campaigns. Mass Effect 2 requires your time, patience and effort and then it'll reward you, most gamers want instant gratification.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

It sold more then the first one and it did it in a decent amount of time that's really all you can ask of a sequel.

Killzone had same marketing with hype and sold around same

Around the Network

mass effect 1 got boring in 2 days. why would i spend money on the sequel? it is the most overrated RPG i have every seen

the mass effec series is a rental only.  DA2 took the same route of no content so not worth the buy. at least origins took weeks to beat.

Mass effect 2 is not an RPG no matter how much you try to spin it.

What is the 90% of the thing you do in the game?

Yeah, shoot people and kill them gears of war style.

Most RPGs do have majority of their gameplay involving combat, but they also have upgradability of weapons and armor, magic, strength and some type of variety in combat. For eg. Fallout: You can use melee and become a super melee man, or become a super gunman or a super grenade man, or a super laser man.

In Mass effect 2 all you can do is shoot. That cuts its "rpg" elements by a huge degree. Yes you can use some biotic powers but they are hardly of any use compared to the guns. Can you complete any level just by using biotic powers? NO. Unless you play on the lowest difficulty or something.

They could have helped the situation by making it such that there's some grinding so that you can overpower your guns or something....but no. That's not possible either, unless you go for the MOST boring loyalty missions ever. OMG, your crew wants some help in something, you go to help them shoot people as usual, the crew says thanks, /mission. As a bonus you crew member gets a new uniform. [There is an exception, of course. The bar dance side mission was interesting.]

You can only level up if you complete missions. Or so I think. There maybe some other ways but I haven't found them out yet. So its pretty much like you level up/ your enemies level up = illusionary RPG elements.

The face customizations is amazing. But the armor customization is not. Very limited.

Lets compare it to the MOST dumbed down RPG of this year, Dragon Age 2. Dragon Age 2 has classes, different classes that you can choose. Out of these classes theres more options to choose like what kind of mage/warrior/rogue you want to be. You get to really define how much strong/cunning/etc your character and your friends can become.

This is a dumbed RPG to many people. Now tell me with a straight face that Mass Effect 2 is an RPG. Character relationship doesn't make a game an RPG, since its a very small part of the game that isn't even required for the game to be finished. Nor does the branching of the story since even Heavy Rain has multiple branches in the story with different endings, its not an RPG either.

And the mineral hunting thing can hardly be considered RPG element. It can't level my character up, now can it? It is used for developing weapons and armors and stuff like that I think, and even that you get by completing levels or hacking stuff.

If Mass effect 2 is looked as an RPG, then its the most boring RPG ever. Mineral grinding/hacking stuff game.  However if it is looked upon as a TPS, then its a very good game.

As another example, lets compare it to another excellent TPS, Dead Space. Dead Space is NOT an RPG, but it has nodes that can upgrade your guns. It has money that can buy better suits. It has inventory system that can store various stuff like your ammo and stuff.

It also has its own "biotic" powers like kinesis and another one whose name I forgot, but you can upgrade those with nodes as well. You can increase your HP with nodes, and the weapon upgrade is a LOT more upgradable in detail than anything in Mass effect 2.

Mass effect 2 is not an RPG. People thinking otherwise haven't played many RPGs or are just too loyal to Mass effect and think its an insult to think its not an RPG.

hello everyone,im wholesale supplier online==                                                                

our website:=====( http://www.tntn.us)=====
free shipping
accept paypal credit card
lower price fast shippment with higher quality
BEST QUALITY GUARANTEE!!
SAFTY & HONESTY GUARANTEE!!
FAST & PROMPT DELIVERY GUARANTEE!!
Air jordan(1-24)shoes $30=====
Nike shox(R4,NZ,OZ,TL1,TL2,TL3) $35===
Hndbags(Coach lv fendi d&g) $35===
Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16=====
Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $30=====
Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,Armaini) $15===
New era cap $10===
Sunglass $ 15
COACH_Necklace $ 27
handbag $ 33
AF tank woman $ 17
puma slipper woman $ 30
Bikini (Ed hardy,polo) $25---
FREE SHIPPING,accept paypal-very good shopping -----
our website:======( http://www.tntn.us)===
Believe you will love it.

★★_★★
_★★___★★
_★★___★★_________★★★★
_★★___★★_______★★___★★★★
_★★__★★_______★___★★___★★
__★★__★______★__★★__★★★_★★
___★★__★____★__★★_____★★__★
____★★_★★__★★_★★________★★
____★★___★★__★★
___★___________★
__★_____________★
_★____0_____0____★
_★_______@_______★
_★_______________★
___★_____v_____★
_____★★_____★★__
  22:27:35
★★_★★
_★★___★★
_★★___★★_________★★★★
_★★___★★_______★★___★★★★
_★★__★★_______★___★★___★★
__★★__★______★__★★__★★★_★★
___★★__★____★__★★_____★★__★
____★★_★★__★★_★★________★★
____★★___★★__★★
___★___________★
__★_____________★
_★____0_____0____★
_★_______@_______★
_★_______________★
___★_____v_____★
_____★★_____★★__ ??? ?' ?'????з=77=ε ???/'? '? ?
lundi 27 septembre 2010 11:22
 http://www.tntn.us/12----
boot.ugg.jacket.jeans.sweart. (UGG)
jordan air max oakland dunks $39;

Darth Tigris said:

Too many haters

- RPG fanboys complained it was too much of a shooter and was too dumbed down (though likely not playing it enough to recognize the RPG depth)

- Shooter fanboys came in expecting GeoW in space but found out it had too many RPG elements and wasn't as refined as what they're used to in shooters.

- PS3 fanboys took every chance they could to minimize how good the game was due it not being a PS3 exclusive.

- Mass Effect haters kept harping on the problems of the first game (which there were many) and how it's not worth it.

- Bioware haters came out in force to evangelize on how formulaic and boring Bioware games are

- EA haters came out to say how much EA is ruining Bioware and how MGS should've bought them out instead and the game suffers because of it.

- Multiplayer fanboys complain that there is no multiplayer so why bother

Man ...... did I really type up all of that negativity.  I need a hug ...

Truth hurts so you comfort yourselve by calling people with valid criticism of the game haters?

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Darth Tigris said:

Too many haters

- PS3 fanboys took every chance they could to minimize how good the game was due it not being a PS3 exclusive.

I woulda thought, consolez warz and all that, this point would actually help sales. I don't see how X console fans hating a Y console exclusive in any way would negatively effect sales of a game.

The rest of your points probably have somewhat of a ring of truth to them. Mostly I think it's the shooter and multiplayer centric and  generation we're in.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix