By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - why did mass effect 2 only sell 2.3m on 360?

homer said:

It did release along side MAG, which probably stole most of its sales....

But MAG sold like shit? Didn't it?

Around the Network
dsage01 said:
homer said:

It did release along side MAG, which probably stole most of its sales....

But MAG sold like shit? Didn't it?

So 6 million is no longer great sales?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocd1jjlxA0Q&feature=channel_video_title

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

GuiltySpartan77 said:
dsage01 said:
jamesmarkus87 said:

If Mass Effect 2 is a commercial failure, then what does that make LittleBigPlanet 2? That game has sold only 1.17 million units in 12 weeks, while its predecessor sold 1.82 million units in its first 12 weeks.

That's cause LBP released in holiday season while LBP 2 released in Jan which is the worst month to release a vidoe game in. Sony really messed up with LBP 2 :(

Mass Effect 2 came out in January so what you got to say to that? 

furthur proves his point....

ME2 released in January and its still sitting on 2.3m after a year, if it had released near holidays it would have sold fairly more.

look out for Mass effect 3 this year and see how it performs with a holiday release.

That's not bad, compare that to sales on PC and PS3...

That's xbox fanboys for you!!! If it is not a first person shooter that curses every five minutes or blood splattered everywhere....it is not going to sell well. This is why it was release on PS3 cuz you will find more mature players that actually like quality games and appreciate the work.

APKenna

Around the Network
APKenna said:

That's xbox fanboys for you!!! If it is not a first person shooter that curses every five minutes or blood splattered everywhere....it is not going to sell well. This is why it was release on PS3 cuz you will find more mature players that actually like quality games and appreciate the work.

Blame Halo and Call of Duty for putting FPS on the map, and being the top selling genre.  It looks like, outside of FPS, everything sells about the same between both the PS3 and 360 as far as sales go.  FPS is so far out in front, it is absurd, as far as interest goes.  How absurd?  Take my random sampling.  I fire up some generic FPS title that is forgettable on the 360, say a year after it came out.  Let's use Timeshift or Frontlines.  There are STILL people online playing it.  Now take some other forgettable title in another genre.  Good luck finding anyone to play online at Contra.  I would Aegis Wing is probably about it, and that is free.

Ok, I may be off here, and there may be others I miss, but FPS seems to always have players, while the rest is ignored.

2.3 million might be low for one of the greatest games of all time, but It's by no means bad.

I just hope ME3 will do 3 million.

It's just that simple.

Loved me2, me3 give me loot (armor- head, chest etc., and weapons for christ sake) and much more variety in skills.  Have you played as a commando in me2?  That just gets... boring.  Also, give me a tactics screen.  That is all.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE  PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Booh! said:
richardhutnik said:

mantlepiecek said:

Mass effect 2 is not an RPG no matter how much you try to spin it.

What is the 90% of the thing you do in the game?

Yeah, shoot people and kill them gears of war style.

.... SNIP ...

It also has its own "biotic" powers like kinesis and another one whose name I forgot, but you can upgrade those with nodes as well. You can increase your HP with nodes, and the weapon upgrade is a LOT more upgradable in detail than anything in Mass effect 2.

Mass effect 2 is not an RPG. People thinking otherwise haven't played many RPGs or are just too loyal to Mass effect and think its an insult to think its not an RPG.

I am NOT going to just stand by here and have you SCREAM over and over how Mass Effect 2 is not an RPG, which then would cause a game like Borderlands to be LESS than not an RPG, because the creators of Borderlands look to create a fusion of RPG and FPS.  And yes, Borderlands fits that.  And if it does, then Mass Effect 2 is even more so an RPG.

First, outside of Tetris, about EVERY videogame is an RPG of sorts.  You PLAY A ROLE that is not you.  In Mass Effect 2, you played Commander Shepard, and it is your job to save the galaxy.  You also leveled up and gained proficiency in weapons.  The game was gun focused.  And you did other things also in the game besides shooting.

And there are character classes, three basic versions, and six overall that mixed the two.  And they impact things differently. 

Your hatred of Mass Effect 2 is blinding you to the reality it IS an RPG.  You may ended up hating it, and saying it stinks, which is fine.  You may also say it falled to deliver a real RPG experience, while succeeding in other areas.  This is fine.  But to say it isn't something, when it is, is flat out wrong.  It is an RPG.

By that standard the RPG genre should not exist since every game is an RPG.

So an RPG is a game where "playing a role" is central to the game mechanics: Mass Effect 2 is a game where shooting is central to the game mechanics, hence it is not an RPG. Not by any means.

You can be a complete douche when talking to the other characters and the only consequences are a somewhat different development of the story. Not even a different story. You can lose only when shooting, hence it's a shooter. Play Gothic and try to trash-talk some NPG, try out Planescape Torment or Arcanum or, even better, try to play a dating-sym (!!!) while trash-talking everyone. You'll find much more role playing in an average denigrated JRPG or JSRPG than in ME2.

My impression is that this game was labelled as an RPG just for commercial purposes.

For commercial purposes? That seems like financial suicide. This is the age of shooters, marking a shooter as an RPG would cost sales, if anything. The fact is, ME is more of an RPG than most any JRPGs, because your decisions effect your outcome. I don't upgrade my ship? People die. I don't form bonds with my squadmates? I lose their loyalty, they may die. I'm a bad commander, the mission can fail, or can succeed with high losses. Also, the decisions you make are more sweeping in scope, as their impact spans multiple games.

Yes, it's only a mullti-million seller. There's something not right about that wording...

SW-5120-1900-6153