By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - why did mass effect 2 only sell 2.3m on 360?

homer said:
dsage01 said:
homer said:

It did release along side MAG, which probably stole most of its sales....

But MAG sold like shit? Didn't it?

So 6 million is no longer great sales?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocd1jjlxA0Q&feature=channel_video_title

When did MAG sell 6 million! It hardly crossed a million!

Around the Network
dsage01 said:
homer said:
dsage01 said:
homer said:

It did release along side MAG, which probably stole most of its sales....

But MAG sold like shit? Didn't it?

So 6 million is no longer great sales?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocd1jjlxA0Q&feature=channel_video_title

When did MAG sell 6 million! It hardly crossed a million!

Sorry wrong thread, at the wring site, at the wrong  time....

That being said, MAG has Dl sales too.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

richardhutnik said:
APKenna said:

That's xbox fanboys for you!!! If it is not a first person shooter that curses every five minutes or blood splattered everywhere....it is not going to sell well. This is why it was release on PS3 cuz you will find more mature players that actually like quality games and appreciate the work.

Blame Halo and Call of Duty for putting FPS on the map, and being the top selling genre.  It looks like, outside of FPS, everything sells about the same between both the PS3 and 360 as far as sales go.  FPS is so far out in front, it is absurd, as far as interest goes.  How absurd?  Take my random sampling.  I fire up some generic FPS title that is forgettable on the 360, say a year after it came out.  Let's use Timeshift or Frontlines.  There are STILL people online playing it.  Now take some other forgettable title in another genre.  Good luck finding anyone to play online at Contra.  I would Aegis Wing is probably about it, and that is free.

Ok, I may be off here, and there may be others I miss, but FPS seems to always have players, while the rest is ignored.

You act like FPS's are the worst games in the world. The only reason anyone hates on them is because they sell better than any other series. Halo or Final Fantasy if your an average person your going with Halo. Cal of Duty or White Knight Chronicles your going with Call of Duty. Is that to say FPS's are bad just because they beat all other genres? No, otherwise we wouldn't see call of duty and Halo selling so many copies. I get were your coming from but i like Halo since the first one, but i also have liked final fantasy and many other rpg's before halo even existed. But i do wish some games like lost Odyssey (did i get that right) would sell more than 1 million copies. 

GuiltySpartan77 said:
richardhutnik said:
APKenna said:

That's xbox fanboys for you!!! If it is not a first person shooter that curses every five minutes or blood splattered everywhere....it is not going to sell well. This is why it was release on PS3 cuz you will find more mature players that actually like quality games and appreciate the work.

Blame Halo and Call of Duty for putting FPS on the map, and being the top selling genre.  It looks like, outside of FPS, everything sells about the same between both the PS3 and 360 as far as sales go.  FPS is so far out in front, it is absurd, as far as interest goes.  How absurd?  Take my random sampling.  I fire up some generic FPS title that is forgettable on the 360, say a year after it came out.  Let's use Timeshift or Frontlines.  There are STILL people online playing it.  Now take some other forgettable title in another genre.  Good luck finding anyone to play online at Contra.  I would Aegis Wing is probably about it, and that is free.

Ok, I may be off here, and there may be others I miss, but FPS seems to always have players, while the rest is ignored.

You act like FPS's are the worst games in the world. The only reason anyone hates on them is because they sell better than any other series. Halo or Final Fantasy if your an average person your going with Halo. Cal of Duty or White Knight Chronicles your going with Call of Duty. Is that to say FPS's are bad just because they beat all other genres? No, otherwise we wouldn't see call of duty and Halo selling so many copies. I get were your coming from but i like Halo since the first one, but i also have liked final fantasy and many other rpg's before halo even existed. But i do wish some games like lost Odyssey (did i get that right) would sell more than 1 million copies. 

I like your sig.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

the scores dont indicate games sales, i think ME2 did very very well for a WRPG you have to look at what kind of game it is at the end of he day, a WRPG over 2 million is a number that devs would be very happy with, on top of that theres much much scope for DLC to boot.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network
starcraft said:
GuiltySpartan77 said:
richardhutnik said:
APKenna said:

I like your sig.

Thanks

GuiltySpartan77 said:
richardhutnik said:
APKenna said:

duke will save the fps genre by giving us a good sp. dont worry.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

GuiltySpartan77 said:
richardhutnik said:
APKenna said:

Ok, I may be off here, and there may be others I miss, but FPS seems to always have players, while the rest is ignored

My comment had to do with the dominance of FPS on the 360.  The FPS genre is THE dominant genre this generation, that is the bulk of the top selling titles.  The 360 is the home for it, and why even more obscure and forgettable ones will get players online, even as other genres don't have them.  That is what I was bringing up.

As far as the FPS genres go, I enjoy them a lot.  It is just, as a gamer, I enjoy a diversity of genres, and don't get married to a single game, or genre.  From an analysis of the industry, as someone who has like no pull next to the like of Pachter, I believe the industry is going to hurt itself, if it keeps overly focusing on the FPS genre.  I believe it needs to diversify more, and stop just focusing on doing FPS.  I also feel it needs to focus on titles that cost less to produce.  So, any hate for them selling so well is you run a risk of a crash if people get tired of getting so many.  I feel the 5 FPS titles I have now are sufficient.  And I didn't even include Left 4 Dead 2 or Borderlands in that 5.

zgamer5 said:
GuiltySpartan77 said:
richardhutnik said:
APKenna said:

What does the FPS genre need to be saved from?

richardhutnik said:
zgamer5 said:
GuiltySpartan77 said:
richardhutnik said:
APKenna said:

What does the FPS genre need to be saved from?

focus on multiplayer, and very short campaigns. 

oh and the cod formula.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good