By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - As a Nintendo fan, I feel totally insulted by this Wii line-up.

As a Nintendo fan, I feel totally insulted by this Wii line-up.

It sucks. 45 23.68%

It's terrible. 33 17.37%

It's horrible. 24 12.63%

It's really poor. 48 25.26%

I hate it. 6 3.16%

I detest it. 34 17.89%

Total:190
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Heh, this thread is great.  That list of games in the OP is so bad.  I feel like you can make a game out of it.  "How many games shown in the Feb 2021 Direct look better than any game from the list in the OP?"

I count 12.

Outer Wilds
Samurai Warriors 5
Legend of Mana
Monster Hunter Rise
Mario Golf Super Rush
No More Heroes 3
Project Triangle Strategy
World's End Club
Hades (Physical)
Ninja Gaiden Collection
Skyward Sword
Splatoon 3

This is with me not counting any DLC and also being fairly conservative on which games to include above.  There were several more games I was tempted to put in.  The hard part is really figuring out which game in the OP you think is the best.

Saga Frontier Remastered, Stubbs the Zombie, Neon White. Those also look great to me.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Heh, this thread is great.  That list of games in the OP is so bad.  I feel like you can make a game out of it.  "How many games shown in the Feb 2021 Direct look better than any game from the list in the OP?"

I count 12.

Outer Wilds
Samurai Warriors 5
Legend of Mana
Monster Hunter Rise
Mario Golf Super Rush
No More Heroes 3
Project Triangle Strategy
World's End Club
Hades (Physical)
Ninja Gaiden Collection
Skyward Sword
Splatoon 3

This is with me not counting any DLC and also being fairly conservative on which games to include above.  There were several more games I was tempted to put in.  The hard part is really figuring out which game in the OP you think is the best.

Saga Frontier Remastered, Stubbs the Zombie, Neon White. Those also look great to me.

Yeah, I was tempted to put those in as well as the Famicom Detective games and Capcom Arcade compilation.  12 is definitely a conservative number.  Maybe 18 is more realistic.  In reality almost every game in the recent Direct looked better than anything in the OP.

Funnily enough, Wii's 2011 didn't end up all that bad if you lived in PAL; we got Xenoblade Chronicles, Skyward Sword, Rayman Origins, de Blob 2, Modern Warfare 3, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, FAST Racing League. That's a decent annual lineup in my opinion.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Kakadu18 said:

In 2019 EPD released Super Mario Maker 2, New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe and Ring Fit Adventure and in Japan Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch.

Btw EPD also released Mario Kart Tour in 2019. 

You said: 

It's only the first half thus far and the second half can very well be much tighter packed, like in 2019.

So when I'm saying that Cerebral is probably specifically talking about EPD output (because we've talked together about this topic alot before) and thus comparing it to 2019 wouldn't do the year any favors, you don't disprove that by showing games that released before the second half of 2019, like Mario Maker 2 and NSMBUDX. The last half of 2019 only had Ring Fit Adventure from EPD, as well as Mario Kart Tour and Brain Training. But I mean ... really ... a mobile app which has nothing to do with the topic at hand which is the Switch lineup and a game so insignificant it wasn't even localized in the U.S.? 

I'm not saying 2019 was bad by the way, fucking loved that year. But there's no doubt that the second half of the year was made mostly by development partners, not Ninendo (EDIT: Worth mentioning though that Ring Fit is fucking huge though). Doesn't matter much to me, but it probably matters to the user you're replying to. I'd love anything as good as late 2019 quality-wise. 

I've been complaining about this sort of thing ever since mid 2018, when I thought that year had weak 1st party output from Nintendo. Remember my nonsense thread that tried to examine metacritic scores per year from 1st party Nintendo games? That was my first attempt at explaining my disappointment with Nintendo's poor 1st/2nd party showing in 2018. But anyway, I'll just summarize my position as simply as I can...

I want a minimum of four new 1st or 2nd party Nintendo games a year scoring 80 or better on Opencritic. Remasters and ports don't count. Remakes can count, but only if they are significantly different enough from the original game to warrant a 2nd playthrough. A Remake and a remaster are not the same thing (I'm sure you know that, but I had to say it anyway for fear of others misunderstanding my post). That's it. That's my position in a nutshell.

Any year that Nintendo fails to deliver on this I tend to get cranky. Nintendo Fanboys telling me that I should be just as excited to play a Wii U port as I would to play BotW2 make my blood boil. I already played the Wii U's library. They might as well ask me to do a 100% completionist playthrough of DragonQuest 8 for the 3rd time in my life, and be super excited about it.

I also loved Nintendo's 2019. We got 7 great games that all fit my criteria!

The thing that really gets me is that I've owned every Nintendo home console since N64 launched. Nintendo seems to have this bad habit of giving their consoles poor 1st/2nd party support later on in the life cycle. It happened with Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U. I'm afraid it is going to happen with Switch (but not on nearly as bad as a level as Wii's 2011-2012). I think this happens in part because I think Nintendo believes everything they put out is gold. I have this theory that up at Nintendo's offices they genuinely think releasing Mario Kart AR is as good as releasing Mario Kart 9. Or that porting 3D World is just as good as releasing Odyssey 2. Or that any game with Poke'mon in the title is just as good as a game in the main Poke'mon Series.

And the sad part is tons of Nintendo's fans agree with them. They could churn out nothing but C tier titles, and $60 remasters until the cows come home. A certain subset of Nintendo fans would gobble it up like it was Slurm Cola.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 26 February 2021

curl-6 said:

Funnily enough, Wii's 2011 didn't end up all that bad if you lived in PAL; we got Xenoblade Chronicles, Skyward Sword, Rayman Origins, de Blob 2, Modern Warfare 3, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, FAST Racing League. That's a decent annual lineup in my opinion.

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/year/wii/all?year_selected=2011

I would say Xenoblade, Skyward Sword, and Rayman were all good games from those years. But Rayman was multiplat, and NA didn't get Xenoblade until 2012. So for me Wii's 2011 was just Skyward Sword and Xenoblade.

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
curl-6 said:

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/year/wii/all?year_selected=2011

I would say Xenoblade, Skyward Sword, and Rayman were all good games from those years. But Rayman was multiplat, and NA didn't get Xenoblade until 2012. So for me Wii's 2011 was just Skyward Sword and Xenoblade.

Well, I don't base my assessments of quality on metacritic scores personally.

curl-6 said:

The Last Story. Pandora's Tower. Earth Seeker (Japan)

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Cerebralbore101 said:

I have a bad habit of letting my emotions get the better of me and overstating my case. The Switch's 1st party lineup this year is bad, but it's not THIS level of absolute shit.

Luckily, they have some great 3rd party stuff announced so really it's fine. It does kinda suck for those that buy Nintendo hardware only for Nintendo Software yes, but this being my first Nintendo console since GameCube I have been pleasantly surprised by the third party support. It's missing the biggest games of course, but there is a lot of software to love regardless.

As for the Nintendo Software Loyalists, there are lots of games coming that have been announced, I guess it's just a matter of waiting, plus that very likely shiny new Switch revision!

Kakadu18 said:

A surprising amount of people in this thread were last online in April 2017. How come?

I was wondering before about this. Seemingly there was a db reorganisation and old login dates were lost. So all these people with the same date probably were inactive before.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

curl-6 said:

Yeah, Satoru Shibata did treat us much better than Reggie did America.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]