By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rage graphics disoppointing

you cant be serious :D

this looks fantastic, however I dont care that much for rage but graphically superb :D

Around the Network

trailer is good, remember that Brink is running on id tech 4  and it looks pretty decent

(why it has been so delayed, they switched engines 3/4 the way through development)

Looks comparable to Unreal Engine 3 with one exception - this is actually running at 60 frames per second. Trust me, it's a lot better. While 30 frames per second is quite playable, 60 is actually enjoyable. Also, what do you expect from a game set in a post-apocalyptic world? Rainbows and fantasy lands?

Fufinu said:
cr00mz said:
Fufinu said:
Wagram said:

That's not the only thing that is disappointing. Look at the enemy movement animations. I seen some of them sliding. I don't like the cheesy walk style of the character either.

And the AI also looks stupid. Enemies just walking into shotguns. Damn everything seems dissapointing after Killzone.

what do you expect them to do with melee weapons?

See enemies in Killzone. Thye flank hide and pounce on you. And you can still melee them.

It's about context too, though.  The enemies in Killzone are soldiers.  In this clip they're mutant survivors of a holocust, I therefore think in context I wouldn't expect advanced AI for flanking, etc.  I'd pretty much expect them to come for your throat.

Now, if all enemies in Rage do that it'll be dissapointing, but if the AI varies according to foes then it'll be fine.  I'd like to see what the AI for non-mutant foes is like before deciding it's overall bad.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Pjams said:

trailer is good, remember that Brink is running on id tech 4  and it looks pretty decent

(why it has been so delayed, they switched engines 3/4 the way through development)

A very highly modified version of id 4 the renderer is basically all new and a lot of the back end has been reworked to make it multi-threaded.

And RAGE was always meant to be id 5, it just took Carmack (and his small team) a long time to make it...

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
Zkuq said:

Looks comparable to Unreal Engine 3 with one exception - this is actually running at 60 frames per second. Trust me, it's a lot better. While 30 frames per second is quite playable, 60 is actually enjoyable. Also, what do you expect from a game set in a post-apocalyptic world? Rainbows and fantasy lands?

I agree, playing a game at 60 fps is a lot different. It responds faster, you can move the camera faster and it feels more realistic.
I usually play FPS games on my PC and got used to playing at high fps, I don't enjoy FPS games as much on consoles. There is the use of mouse too :P.

Anyway I would sacrifice some graphics for more fps

zarx said:

it's what happens when Carmack wants to keep his team small and still produce AAA games. I mean the game's development team has been around 30-40 people for most of the development and untill recently working on unfinished tools, the fact that they managed a game that looks as good as it does at 60fps and semi open world with such a small team is frankly mind blowing for a multiplatform game. For comparison games like uncharted 2 had teams of 200 on one platform!!! Not to mention the games you are comparing it to are linear games...

Are they really that small? I think I read somewhere that he likes to keep the teams at around 70-80 ppl nowadays.

Slimebeast said:
zarx said:

it's what happens when Carmack wants to keep his team small and still produce AAA games. I mean the game's development team has been around 30-40 people for most of the development and untill recently working on unfinished tools, the fact that they managed a game that looks as good as it does at 60fps and semi open world with such a small team is frankly mind blowing for a multiplatform game. For comparison games like uncharted 2 had teams of 200 on one platform!!! Not to mention the games you are comparing it to are linear games...

Are they really that small? I think I read somewhere that he likes to keep the teams at around 70-80 ppl nowadays.

well as of 2008 the RAGE team was 33 http://archive.videogamesdaily.com/features/todd-hollenshead-id-software-interview-p2.asp that probably isn't counting the ~20 engine coders tho. id in it's entirety is about 170 people including both the RAGE and Doom 4 teams as well as the mobile team and the engine team and non development staff. They are really small for a AAA developer let alone one making 3 games at a time on multiple platforms. Oh and they almost doubled the rage team in 2007...

@TheVoxelman on twitter

yeah I was a bit disappointed as well.

I hope they pull of a Crysis 2 and improve the graphics along the way.

Barozi said:

yeah I was a bit disappointed as well.

I hope they pull of a Crysis 2 and improve the graphics along the way.

they have been developing the game for about 7 years and it's released in a few months I don't think it's going to change much...

@TheVoxelman on twitter