By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rage graphics disoppointing

id Software used to be on the forefront of graphics and were very successful in licensing their graphics engine to many game developers in the past. id Tech 3 (Quake 3) was the standard engine running most first person shooters in the 90's. But in the current gen id lost nearly all of its marketshare to the Unreal Engine 3 who quickly became the standard game engine to be used by game developers (Bioshock, Medal of Honor, Mass Effect, Batman Arkham Asylum, Splinter Cell etc). Meanwhile id Tech 4 (first used in Doom 3 in 2004) was used by almost nobody.

Now since Rage was first shown to the public in the form of a tech demo and demonstration of id's new engine, id Tech 5 in 2007, there's been hope that id and Carmack would reclaim their position as the kings of game engine technology.

However, watch this. The latest Rage gameplay trailer. I think the footage speaks for itself.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/arsenal-gameplay-rage/712648

Around the Network

Why does embedding not work properly here anymore?

That's not the only thing that is disappointing. Look at the enemy movement animations. I seen some of them sliding. I don't like the cheesy walk style of the character either.

Admittedly I don't know shit about graphics from a technical perspective, but that looks fucking good to me. I want it now!

Thats RAGE???! Forget the graphics (the games graphics are not the defining feature for me, although they often help), the game looks rather lame in general. Think thats getting removed from my watchlist.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

I think it looks pretty good for a Wii game.

Like the Wii has games.

Looks like doom 3 engine on steroids. Nothing special I agree... But it still looks hella fun. thats all that matters to me...

It looks pretty good to me. Plus, a few things to remember.

1. ID are aiming to make the best looking 60hz game. There is no way it can compete with games like Crysis 2 scraping by at 25 hz, or even with Killzone's steady 30hz. Better to compare it to the likes of COD.

2. These trailers aren't showing off how smooth the game actually is (Carmack mentioned this himself on twitter).

3. It won the special commendation for graphics awards at last year's E3 awards (Games Critics Awards). So people who actually saw and played it were blown away at least. I have read in a few places (Gamesradar said it too) people saying that in the flesh the graphics are mighty to behold.

Did you watch the Jace Hall Show episodes that featured Rage? Jace himself said it's the best looking console game he has seen.

Admittedly this video is quite crap, but the stuff on the Jace Hall episodes looked pretty damned good.

Still hopeful.

It looks better than Daikatana

I don't think it looks any better than Bulletstorm, Homefront or Enslaved or any other average Unreal Engine 3 game.