By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Popular games that you don't like/don't understand the hype

Ooh I forgot to put Zelda and Metroid games.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network

-Devil May Cry (series).  I got the first one ata time when I was starved for a new PS2 game.  It was great but I've hated every one since.  Withe Devil May Cry 4, I finally said "What am I doing?"ans I quit playing it.  I just don't like Dante, his story,his enemies, or anything anymore.  Bayonetta just did everything better.

-inFamous: I never got hooked.  Maybe if I finish it.  As it stands, it had an unlikeable, ggeneric main character, a cliche story, weak graphics, and repetitive gameplay.  It had some cool powers but I never felt like a super-hero.  I will be buying inFamous 2 in hopes that it improves but I really wish they'd kept the new Cole instead of the emo bald Cole.

-Halo Reach:  I LOVED Halo 3.  It made me go back and buy Halo 1& 2.  I played Halo Reach and never got into it.  A bunch of under-developed characters were dying in various ways.  I had no attachment to them (was there a book I should have read?).  I kept waiting for a "HOLY SHIT" moment but it never happened.  The music was not as goood as I hoped.  The enemies were faceless.  I was really let down by the campaign.  The only bright spot was the end where I was told to "survive".

-Twisted Metal:  seriously?  People are hyped for this game?  It was never all that great  of a series (TM1 did win EGM's game of the year in 1995 but that was due to the technology, more than anything).  I think it's just an old series that nostalgia nutts willlwant to buy.  Everybody else is likely to be let down....or maybe the series just isn't for me.

- Call Of Duty
- Halo
- LittleBigPlanet (this one mostly)
- Assassin's Creed

will just list this gen.

Metal Gear Solid 4-Worst game I've bought this gen by far. Just everything about it was mediocre in my opinion.

Halo Reach-Loved halo 3 but quickly got bored with reach. I've strangly loved all the halo campaigns but this one was just bleh. Shooters in general are starting to bore me very quickly.

Mario Kart Wii/Super Smash Bros Brawl-dislike them for the same reason. Their gamecube counterparts were better in almost every way and not just back when i played them. Right now i would currently rather play double dash or melee then the wii versions. Bleh.

Gears of War-Mediocrity at its finest. With big buckets of ugly shades of colors.

Call of Duty-Super accessable casual shooter... Used to enjoy playing this series when i took breaks from halo 3. But honestly I can't tell the difference between call of duty 4, mw2, and black ops online. They are the same game.

Mass Effect Series- Defenitly a good series, but just good in my opinion.

Killzone 2- Yay crappy controls means this shooter is "hardcore." Yay lets make the game have technically amazing graphics but still look terrible artistically

New Super Mario Bros Wii-I do not understand why anyone would play this game. If you want nostalgia go play the nes games. Its just bleh.

mario series: grew out of this one ages ago, even back then it wasn't a fave of mine..just never could understand the hype around it..at all

zelda series: never got into it...tried few and found them very very boring. the zelda that had me playing without being bored was a zelda on my phone a while back..most prob cuz of the short periods of time I spent on it

RDR: this one might not be a game for me tbh...just could not get into it BUT it was a well made game

Halo series except CE and Reach: single player was rather meh imo. Reach had the best SP of the whole series. MP can be fun tho throughout the series.

Pokemon: yeaaaaaaaaaah I rather not say anything about this

there ya go. it's my honest opinion on those games/franchises

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network

HALO(all of them)

Final Fantasy(especially 7)

Gears of War

Modern Warfare

God of War

Machina said:

Three for each:

Zelda
Metroid
Mario Kart

Gears of War
Fable
PGR

LBP
MGS 4
Resistance

Oblivion
Batman: AA
Dead Rising

I have a lot less hate than you so I'll just go ahead and do one each:

Zelda

Gears of War

Gran Turismo

Fallout 3 (for the multiplat list I suppose)

Halo...but maybe its because I was too into Half-Life. You cant blame me lol.

Final Fantasy 6:

No real direction in the story. Only one memorable character, and he's only famous for being mindlessly evil for no good reason other than "magitek fried his brain!". The emphasis on being as powerful and evil as possible, at the cost of having no motive, development, tragic flaw or general humanity, makes it seem like he was designed by a 10-year-old. He kills indiscriminately, and we aren't made to feel any connection to the victims. What's that thing that Stalin said about the death of one being and tragedy, and the death of millions being just a statistic?

Interestingly, in Japan, where this game didn't have the benefit of being the last FF game before the series, and the genre, went mainstream, FF6 isn't seen as being remotely special in any way.

LoZ:OoT:

Never really got into it. Found the characters annoying, the game to be too open and the controls to be incredibly fiddly. The fact that it was on the N64, a console whose controller was definitely "love it or hate it" didn't really help with the fiddly controls, but I still found the game awkward to handle when using an emulator.

Also, that fucking owl!

Tomb Raider series:

Again, the controls always seemed fiddly, as if I was fighting to line her up at exactly the right angle and at exactly the right position, shuffling everywhere with tiny little steps. Maybe this problem no longer exists in the modern games, and maybe I could have got used to everything with a little practice, but I'm not the kind of person to risk wasting hours of time playing a game that I might enjoy eventually. First impressions count!

GTA 4:

Actually, my complaint about this is my complaint about the whole of this generation: too grimdark and not enough fun. It doesn't have that comically OTT physics and tongue-in-cheek humour that the older GTA games had. Rather, it feels like it was made for people who want to present the image of being dark and mature. Since I'm not a teenager, ostentatious displays of maturity don't really appeal to me.

The whole FPS genre:

No. Just no.

Why this genre has completely taken over on the HD consoles this generation is beyond me. Wait a minute; it isn't beyond me at all. It's because it's much easier to ensure a "passable" gameplay experience in a genre where there is generally less variety in game mechanics and the emphasis is on realism more than anything else. This leaves developers free to do what's really important: create highly detailed post-apocalyptic environments in shades of grey and brown. It's really depressing to look at the PS3 software charts and see that four out of the top ten games are from the same genre. It's even more depressing to look at the Xbox charts and see that eight out of the top ten are from the same genre. Lets hope the next generation has a little more variety.

Inb4 fanboys start complaining because I said something nasty about their favourite game and accuse me of being ignorant/baised/whatever. Stay classy, guys.

-Pokémon

Aside from some of the Pokémon designs, I can't think of any objective criticism for the games. They just don't 'click' for me.

-Tekken, SoulCalibur, Dead or Alive... Hell, almost all 3D fighters

I grew up with Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, and what have you. 3D fighters just feel sluggish and slow to me.

-Most FPS's.

Again, not the games' own fault. My friends just don't like console FPS games, I'm not big on online multiplayer, and the single-player campaign usually isn't enough to warrant a purchase. (Of course, there are exceptions, like Bioshock.)

I'll post more, when my eyelids aren't stubbornly refusing to stay open.