By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

the killzone series is so under-rated.

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:
AussieGecko said:
Reasonable said:

Don't be naughty!  As FPS they are clearly competing for the same demographic as you no doubt know.  The mass of PS3 owners who didn't buy KZ3 are just as likely to be the demographic who have zero interest in FPS and only buy RPGs or GT or whatever.

KZ3 cannablized Bulletstorm, it was always going to and I just don't understand what EA/Epic were thinking with that move (no pun intended).

For Bulletstorm to do better on PS3 it either needed a lot of PS3 FPS players to pony up for two full price titles at the same time in the same genre (which was always asking too much IMHO) or chose the new IP that's multiplatform from a developer generaly viewed as MS centric who made some comments about messing with Sony exclusives over a proven exclusive FPS franchise that was the butt of the comments (which I also think was always asking too much even if the developer was actually the People can Fly folks and not the traditional Epic crew).

In short, EA/Epic blew the launch on PS3.  Shame really, it's a fun little title judging by the demo and I did rather like Painkiller back in the day.

they are totally and utterly different style. Bulletstorm is almost a new way of doing fps' while Killzone 3 is the old standard story line etc w/ purrrdy graphics

But several here have compared Forza to Gran Turismo which are two different style racing games so whatever.

Actually, comparing racing games across the 360 and PS3 as platforms, Forza and GT are the most similar racing games you'll ever find. They share visual style, soundwork, content, features, mechanics, similar physics engine, car roster, tracks, effects and fans. The shortcomings in the physics of Forza 3 is mostly due to it being older and being in development for a much shorter time. Forza and GT really aren't two different styles, they even aim to be equal so your analogy works rather poorly in this context I'm afraid.

As far as style and mechanics go, Forza and GT are a whole lot more similar than Killzone and Bulletstorm. It would be more fair comparing Ridge Racer 7 to Forza or GT, where one is stylized and over-the top and the other is more sophisticated and realistic.

AussieGecko; Killzone and Bulletstorm have basically the same demographic and one is exclusive, there was never any doubt that Killzone would one-up Bulletstorm. Besides, Epic games aren't really at home on PS consoles like they are on MS consoles, look at Unreal Tournament 3 for instance, moved only 100k less on the 360 despite being PS3 timed exclusive for a whole year. Compare that to the PS3 versions of Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock which were 360 (and PC) first and then arrived on PS3, the 360 version of Bioshock moved well over three times as much and the PS3 version of ME2 is at roughly 1/10 of the 360's total sales after some time and won't stand a chance of ever crossing 750k imo. Multiplats simply move better on the 360 and Epic games aren't nearly as big in the PS3's best markets nor on the console and among the users themselves. I must admit that I didn't expect the Bulletstorm numbes to be quite as low as they are for the PS3 but that just shows the damage Killzone 3 has done shortterm.

Mummelmann said:
LivingMetal said:
AussieGecko said:
Reasonable said:

Don't be naughty!  As FPS they are clearly competing for the same demographic as you no doubt know.  The mass of PS3 owners who didn't buy KZ3 are just as likely to be the demographic who have zero interest in FPS and only buy RPGs or GT or whatever.

KZ3 cannablized Bulletstorm, it was always going to and I just don't understand what EA/Epic were thinking with that move (no pun intended).

For Bulletstorm to do better on PS3 it either needed a lot of PS3 FPS players to pony up for two full price titles at the same time in the same genre (which was always asking too much IMHO) or chose the new IP that's multiplatform from a developer generaly viewed as MS centric who made some comments about messing with Sony exclusives over a proven exclusive FPS franchise that was the butt of the comments (which I also think was always asking too much even if the developer was actually the People can Fly folks and not the traditional Epic crew).

In short, EA/Epic blew the launch on PS3.  Shame really, it's a fun little title judging by the demo and I did rather like Painkiller back in the day.

they are totally and utterly different style. Bulletstorm is almost a new way of doing fps' while Killzone 3 is the old standard story line etc w/ purrrdy graphics

But several here have compared Forza to Gran Turismo which are two different style racing games so whatever.

Actually, comparing racing games across the 360 and PS3 as platforms, Forza and GT are the most similar racing games you'll ever find. They share visual style, soundwork, content, features, mechanics, similar physics engine, car roster, tracks, effects and fans. The shortcomings in the physics of Forza 3 is mostly due to it being older and being in development for a much shorter time. Forza and GT really aren't two different styles, they even aim to be equal so your analogy works rather poorly in this context I'm afraid.

As far as style and mechanics go, Forza and GT are a whole lot more similar than Killzone and Bulletstorm. It would be more fair comparing Ridge Racer 7 to Forza or GT, where one is stylized and over-the top and the other is more sophisticated and realistic.

AussieGecko; Killzone and Bulletstorm have basically the same demographic and one is exclusive, there was never any doubt that Killzone would one-up Bulletstorm. Besides, Epic games aren't really at home on PS consoles like they are on MS consoles, look at Unreal Tournament 3 for instance, moved only 100k less on the 360 despite being PS3 timed exclusive for a whole year. Compare that to the PS3 versions of Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock which were 360 (and PC) first and then arrived on PS3, the 360 version of Bioshock moved well over three times as much and the PS3 version of ME2 is at roughly 1/10 of the 360's total sales after some time and won't stand a chance of ever crossing 750k imo. Multiplats simply move better on the 360 and Epic games aren't nearly as big in the PS3's best markets nor on the console and among the users themselves. I must admit that I didn't expect the Bulletstorm numbes to be quite as low as they are for the PS3 but that just shows the damage Killzone 3 has done shortterm.

I respect your analysis, reasoning, and explanation.  Thank you.

GuiltySpartan77 said:

lol why are they arguing over Bulletstorm vs Killzone 3 both did poorly imo. 48 million users and only .5 million cared enough to buy it. and the same for bulletstorm maybe sony should invest some money into a game that will attract the number of people that Call of Duty does or Gears of war or Halo. Im tired of seeing 3 million copies sold for a exclusive ps3 game. 

That's what I've been saying, that if sony wants to overtake ms in total console sales, they need better exclusives that will actually sell 6 million plus like Halo and Gears.  They have some great games like Uncharted and Infamous, but neither of those have sold enough to be considered serious console movers.

LOL. Pathetic KZ3 sales. Gears of War 3 should outsell it about 6 to 1 in its first week. LMFAO!

Around the Network
ElGranCabeza said:

Didn't the PSP get a price drop this week? Lol that's pretty horrible.

You really need to stop and think before you post things like this. The PSP price drop went into effect on Sunday Feb 27th. This data is for the week prior up the 26th which does not include the price drop...

pezus said:
biggamejames79 said:
GuiltySpartan77 said:

lol why are they arguing over Bulletstorm vs Killzone 3 both did poorly imo. 48 million users and only .5 million cared enough to buy it. and the same for bulletstorm maybe sony should invest some money into a game that will attract the number of people that Call of Duty does or Gears of war or Halo. Im tired of seeing 3 million copies sold for a exclusive ps3 game. 

That's what I've been saying, that if sony wants to overtake ms in total console sales, they need better exclusives that will actually sell 6 million plus like Halo and Gears.  They have some great games like Uncharted and Infamous, but neither of those have sold enough to be considered serious console movers.

I don't think they need them to outsell 360. Look at the PS2, did it have many exclusives selling more than 6 million besides GT games?

ps2 had the Grand Theft Auto series which sold almost 50 million copies combined.  3, vice city, and san andreas sold over 11 million each.  Also, Final Fantasy X, X-2, XII, MGS2, Kingdom Hearts, and Dragon Quest 8 went over 5 mil.  GTA San Andreas was also on the Xbox, but nobody bought it on Xbox, less than 2 million sales compared to 19 million sold on ps2, so it was a definitely a system mover on ps2.  All those plus the GT games is why they hammered the xbox.  Xbox only had 2 games sell over 3 million, the first 2 halo games.  You could be right, ps3 might not need huge exclusives, and could possibly end up selling more in the end, but a few 6 mil sellers like the ps2 had would definitely help a lot.

3DS is new undisputed Champion.

BoneArk said:

3DS is new undisputed Champion.

Of course because it has no competition in the 8th gen.

Squilliam said:
goforgold said:
chocoloco said:

Also just to show why your arguement is not full proof, I could also say more people bought KZ3 because it comes with early access to the socom 4 beta. I know gears is more popular than socom, but I still think you are exagerating the effect of the Gears beta. Attributing significant increases in  sales of a game to a beta does not seem to significant unless it is Halo 3: ODST because at least that game actually was a Halo game.

just wondering, how well did crackdown 2 do sales wise in comparison to crakdown 1?

seeing as it had access to the halo 3 beta

and @ squilliam your reasoning is flawed

the game did 360k combined while killzone 3 did 500k, so the ps3 version of bulletstorm hurting becasue people brought it on 360 for gears beta (and how this constitutes to the "better platform" is beyond me) is a moot point because KZ3 out sold the game combined on both platforms.

now looking at the ratio

300k (360) to 63k (ps3) that's what 4 to 1? 5 to 1? name me just ONE recent shooter that posted sucha discrepency in sales hell find me 1 this entire gen.

FACT: Killzone 3 utterly destroyed Bulletstorm sales for the ps3, game would have done ALOT better if it had released further away from killzone.

Killzone 3 is irrelevant. 1.25% of PS3 owners bought it the same week as bulletstorm came out, that leaves 98.75% of them to potentially buy Bulletstorm.

Crackdown 2 sold ~ 1/2 of Crackdown 1.

I think you confuse yourself with your silly logic.

Earlier you said <qoute> Its probably due to the fact that there are a lot more multiconsole hardcore owners these days and anyone with both the Xbox 360 and PS3 would get the 360 version due to the Gears 3 beta<unquote>

Now you are saying that there are 98.75%  potential PS3 owners that can buy Bulletstrom.

Should you not have taken the dual console owners who according to you bought bulletstorm for their x360 instead of th ps3 out of this equation, unless you think they are a bit stupid and will buy it twice.