By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Reasonable said:

Doesn't matter - they're shooters.  Someone who doesn't like shooters and plays jRPGs etc isn't going to show interest in Bulletstorm.  They're different types of shooters for sure, but it's pretty obvious that they're going to either appeal (or not) to roughly the same demographic.

Also, my point is Bulletorm didn't get the message across it was different in the marketing I saw.  For the average PS3 FPS playing gamer looking at titles in a store he'd (or she'd) see two FPS except one they'd know and one they wouldn't.

We're talking differences within a common genre here, not totally different genres.  An example would be releasing a fun racing title same week as GT.  Totally different style but I guarantee the same result - the less known title will get cannabilized to hell by the bigger IP.

Shooters are not all the same, fighting games are not all the same, racing games are not all the same and so on and so on. Otherwise there would be 1 fps, 1 racer etc etc. Bulletstorm is enough different, why it didnt sell, god knows. 

You say one they know and one they don't? Epic is one with their logo, they flaunt that sod. Most people that have that activeness with games would know the Epic logo imo

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network

lol why are they arguing over Bulletstorm vs Killzone 3 both did poorly imo. 48 million users and only .5 million cared enough to buy it. and the same for bulletstorm maybe sony should invest some money into a game that will attract the number of people that Call of Duty does or Gears of war or Halo. Im tired of seeing 3 million copies sold for a exclusive ps3 game. 

pezus said:

Doubt that most of the 'general' PS3 audience recognize it. What have they released on the PS3? Oh yeah, UT3 which sold just over half a million...

There is no way to prove either one so lets agree to disagree this time :)

I don't understand why some people are denying the fact that KZ3 is the main reason for the weak sales of bulletstorm on the PS3...

In the long run, Bulletstorm might end up being a huge success (word of mouth...) but for the first week, it is obvious that shooter fans (I'm talking about those who want to play something beyond friggin' Black ops...) have chosen KZ3 on the PS3.

The fact that both games are somewhat different might have an effect in the future (if the multiplayer of one is much better for example) but right now it's irrelevant, theyr are both FPS and compete directly with each other

pezus said:

But know that I disagree to agree to disagree.

my head hurts
but if im write double negatives cancel out so you agree haha

Around the Network
AussieGecko said:
Reasonable said:

Doesn't matter - they're shooters.  Someone who doesn't like shooters and plays jRPGs etc isn't going to show interest in Bulletstorm.  They're different types of shooters for sure, but it's pretty obvious that they're going to either appeal (or not) to roughly the same demographic.

Also, my point is Bulletorm didn't get the message across it was different in the marketing I saw.  For the average PS3 FPS playing gamer looking at titles in a store he'd (or she'd) see two FPS except one they'd know and one they wouldn't.

We're talking differences within a common genre here, not totally different genres.  An example would be releasing a fun racing title same week as GT.  Totally different style but I guarantee the same result - the less known title will get cannabilized to hell by the bigger IP.

Shooters are not all the same, fighting games are not all the same, racing games are not all the same and so on and so on. Otherwise there would be 1 fps, 1 racer etc etc. Bulletstorm is enough different, why it didnt sell, god knows. 

You say one they know and one they don't? Epic is one with their logo, they flaunt that sod. Most people that have that activeness with games would know the Epic logo imo

You're not getting it.  Trust me, I work in advanced forecasting techniques for retailers worldwide, and this is a pure and simple case of cannabilization.  It's textbook.  I can tell you exactly why it didn't sell on PS3 comparably to 360 and that is Killzone 3.

To the average gamer Bulletstorm simply doesn't seem different enough.  Bulletstorm, Killzone, yeah those sound really different.  You're confusing the smaller number of people who are enthusiasts with the average majority.  Most people aren't that informed or intersted beyond the basic knowledge of the title and what they've picked up from marketing for new IP unless it's had a vey specific push - the big push Gears was given by MS comes to mind.  The title was great, but I seriously doubt it would have seen the sales it did without the excellent marketing campaign that brought the title to market.

You're also ignoring buying habits.  Two FPS titles release.  Few gamers will buy both at the same time no matter how different they are - it's simple economics.  The majority will pick one.  The choice on PS3 was a high end exclusive with a known brand or a new IP.  9 times out of 10 the new IP always loses in those cases.

There's no mystery here.  The ratio of PS3 to 360 sales vs almost all other multi-platform titles in the last 12 months tells the tale.

On PS3 Bulletstorm got cannabilized.  On 360 it did better although as an Epic branded title hardly a huge amount either.

Just looking at the title on its own the marketing simply didn't click.  The title is generic FPS.  The cover is generic FPS.  The tagline "kill with style" didn't click and didn't convey the core mechanic to the gaming masses.

Bulletstorm simply didn't stand out and on the PS3 this was a particular problem because it launched right next to Killzone 3.  On 360 it got  a fairly clean launch with nothing competing for the sales.

Of course all FPS, racers, etc. aren't the same, but they tend to appeal to the same group of people time and time again.

With Bulletstorm and Killzone 3 I'd estimate the overlap must have been at least 80% - i.e. 80% of the people who might consider each would be the same people.  That's a horrible overlap to launch into.

Last time we saw something like this was Prototype/Infamous, although in that case Prototype did a better job of seeming different plus it was a case of two new IPs at the same time even if one was exclusive.  With Bulletstorm it was new IP up against a big title with a 3 in the title.

You see the exact same thing with popcorn movies all the time with the exact same result.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

pezus said:
GuiltySpartan77 said:

lol why are they arguing over Bulletstorm vs Killzone 3 both did poorly imo. 48 million users and only .5 million cared enough to buy it. and the same for bulletstorm maybe sony should invest some money into a game that will attract the number of people that Call of Duty does or Gears of war or Halo. Im tired of seeing 3 million copies sold for a exclusive ps3 game. 

Look no further than GT5 then...

And MGS IV. Those are the only 2 PS3 exclusives that have broken 5 million. Uncharted 2 might eventually make it.

ElGranCabeza said:

Didn't the PSP get a price drop this week? Lol that's pretty horrible.

No it was this week, which means its effect will be seen next week on VGC, for the numbers of the current week. (dunno if that's clear)

MightyGrogg said:
pezus said:
GuiltySpartan77 said:

Look no further than GT5 then...

And MGS IV. Those are the only 2 PS3 exclusives that have broken 5 million. Uncharted 2 might eventually make it.

@Reasonable

You're right about Bulletstorm's sales. KZ3 has been hyped and anticipated for more then a year now. Bulletstorm came out of the blue and pretty much had very mimimal marketing. KZ3 had huge marketing with ads and Kevin Bulter commercials all over the NET and on TV. For PS3 fans it was all about KZ3 on laucnh day, which is why Bulletstorm didn't get much love on the PS3.

The same thing would have happened if Gears of War 3 or Halo 4 was released on the Xbox 360 with Bulletstorm as well. Epic just pick a bad launch day to release their game. They should have released it 3-4 weeks before or after KZ3 release date. Lesson learned I guess.

I would have loved to compares sales between KZ3 and Gears 3 if both titles were released on the same day. That would be fun.

AussieGecko said:
LivingMetal said:

I never said two wrongs made a right, and I never said they were wrong to begin with.  Because it's also possible that some shooter fans likes a variety of shooters.  Therefore with wouldn't matter to them if the playing style is very different, so they would just go with the game that they prefer first.

Why were you talking about racers when the conversation was about shooters. Lets ignore that, I doubt we will get far with that. 

Really? Ok I would rather most shooters over COD because I like games with substance, am I the majority, probably not, so its nots not tafe to assume anything which is what you are doing with shooter fans preferring both?

Please don't be so argumentative when I have a valid point via the racer analogy.