Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 122 48.22%

Pirates of Caribbean: Stranger on Tides 62 24.51%

Mission impossible 3 0 0%

Transformers 3 44 17.39%

Kung Fu panda 2 3 1.19%

Other 22 8.70%

Total:253

Runa216 on 2011-02-27 17:42

Since I only consider worldwide numbers in my decisions, It'll clearly be either Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides or Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.  Mostly becuase they're both entries in tried and true franchises that do remarkably well overseas, both with 3D helping sales hardcore....ticket sales will plummet, but look at alice in Wonderland, it is one of I think seven fims to make over 1 billion, mostly due to 3D.  

Domestically, Transformers has it since Transformers 2 was a juggernaut and this third entry actually looks like it's going to kick ass.  

Worldwide, though, I'm going to have to give it to Potter.  why?  well, it's the final entry in the biggest film franchise of all time (even edging out Star Wars), and Deathly Hallows part 1 was pretty well recieved and is fresh in everyone;s minds...much as I love pirates (my alltime favorite movies), At World's End was iffy in most people's eyes and it's had 4 years to simmer down in the collective memory. 

Plus most film geeks despise pirates 2 and 3, in spite of the general public loving it (hence the huuuuge box office returns) 

dsage 01: well for america i'm giving it to transfromers or pirates but worldwide harry potter does have a really good shot at it but remember star wars is the 3rd highest grossing movies after udjustments at around 1.4 billion dollars and the 4th highest grossing movie in the united states! so i don't know if harry potter did actually edge out star wars!

Around the Network

Definitely HP.

It will do above 1 billion at the worldwide box office (since it's the last movie and since this time it's in 3D).

homer said:

All I have to say is one word... Captain America.

Aren't those 2 words? >_>

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

well harry potter just released last year so people might not be as intrested in watching it just like what happend with pirates of caribbean they were back to back sequels they usually don't do as well but i would say that both pirates and harry potter have a shot over 1 billion and it will be close match betwwen those two!

dsage01 said:

dsage 01: well for america i'm giving it to transfromers or pirates but worldwide harry potter does have a really good shot at it but remember star wars is the 3rd highest grossing movies after udjustments at around 1.4 billion dollars and the 4th highest grossing movie in the united states! so i don't know if harry potter did actually edge out star wars!

Adjusted for inflation domestically perhaps not, but Harry Potter 1, 5, 6, and 7 have all made more than 900 million worldwide.  Only Star Wars Episode 1: the Phantom Menace made over 900 million worldwide, and it just barely got over 900.  

Also, Potter 4 made 895 million, making it close, and the other two both made a tonne.  Overall, Potter has made considerably more.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
dsage01 said:

well harry potter just released last year so people might not be as intrested in watching it just like what happend with pirates of caribbean they were back to back sequels they usually don't do as well but i would say that both pirates and harry potter have a shot over 1 billion and it will be close match betwwen those two!

Actually, Pirates 3 INCREASED internationally from Pirates 2.  Domestically (Canada and US) it went down, but it made more money in europe, asia, south america, australia, etc...

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

homer said:

All I have to say is two words... Thor.

Anywho, Transformers 3 will have the largest domestic (USA) gross (although I doubt it will out gross Revenge of the Fallen), but thankfully the world will make up for our sins by making Harry Potter 7-2 the largest grossing movie world wide.

Smeags said:
homer said:

All I have to say is two words... Thor.

I have one word:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Quite regularly one of the top 3 grossing movies of the year is a family friendly animated movie that is released in the summer and/or holiday season. The reason for this is simple, at these times durring the year parents take their chidren to see movies (or send their chidren to the movies) because they're out of school and it is something to do which isn't that expensive. Typically it is a Disney, Pixar or Dreamworks animation (mostly only Shrek series) that has done this well.

On top of this, I have expectations that the many of the movies you listed (Transformers 3, Harry Potter, and Pirates of the Caribbean) may not do nearly as well as other titles in their series. Pirates of the Caribbean already saw declines with the third movie from people being disappointed with the second movie, and I suspect it will see further declines from people being disappointed with the third; and Transformers will probably see the same kind of pattern, with people who were disappointed with the second avoiding the third. With Harry Potter, I think the "battle" will be between people who are growing tired of the series and those that were disappointed with the latest installment vs. those that feel an obligation to see this installment because it is the last Harry Potter movie.

I don't know they are all in 3D which really can be hard to predict. I want to say HP but it always seems to be edge out WW by some film. 

To the people saying Cars 2. Cars sucked balls. It is the worst Pixar movie by far. The gross was good and the merchandising revenue is ridiculous. I personally will not see it but a ton of snot nosed little kids will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.