By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people hate on John Romero? O_o

because his zombie movies suck!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network

Daikatana is part of it. It doesn't help that he has a poor reputation. Also, Romero has had no success without Carmack. That leads people to believe that maybe he was never that talented in the first place.

Darc Requiem said:

Daikatana is part of it. It doesn't help that he has a poor reputation. Also, Romero has had no success without Carmack. That leads people to believe that maybe he was never that talented in the first place.

But interestingly, Carmack (id that is) never made quite the games that they used to when Romero was around. The new Rage trailer does not get my hopes up.

This clearly shows that tech beats design, since Carmak is still respected, while Romero apparently is not. 

Zlejedi said:

I'm more suprised anyone still cares? Typical console teenage gamer probably haven't even heard about him

yeah, thats another point, why people hate on him still ? i thought people the average teenager forgot about him.

because he's ugly.

Around the Network
ithis said:
Darc Requiem said:

But interestingly, Carmack (id that is) never made quite the games that they used to when Romero was around. The new Rage trailer does not get my hopes up.

This clearly shows that tech beats design, since Carmak is still respected, while Romero apparently is not. 

What's not to respect about Carmak the guy is a genius, he literally is a rocket scientist. Romero has proved he had less of the magic sauce than the rest of id... And he is still arrogant after all this time.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

quite frankly I don't care if the guy made one or two good games back in his days with Id, Daikatana was a commercial and critical flop that deserved its panned reception and his crappy, arrogant attitude did not help (seriously, be a little charming if you're gonna be a douche). On the other hand Carmack and his boys still make great games. This is not hard to discern why Romero is thought of as a cautionary tale

Porcupine_I said:

because his zombie movies suck!

Boo!!!

I love George Romero's movies (especially Night of the Living Dead).  He is much more talented than John Romero.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

ithis said:
Darc Requiem said:

Umm... No. Carmack is respected because he's one of the best if not the best at what he does. Romero is not. In fact, I don't think he's made anything good after he left id. That said, id's games might be better if Romero was still with them. Right now they're a bit... soulless?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4803167

Nice read :)

EDIT: Article entitled:From Doom to gloom.