By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people hate on John Romero? O_o

amp316 said:
Porcupine_I said:

because his zombie movies suck!

Boo!!!

I love George Romero's movies (especially Night of the Living Dead).  He is much more talented than John Romero.

actually i love his older ones too, and i try to forget about his later ones

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network
Porcupine_I said:
amp316 said:
Porcupine_I said:

Boo!!!

I love George Romero's movies (especially Night of the Living Dead).  He is much more talented than John Romero.

He has newer ones?

I thought that Day of the Dead was the last one.  :p

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

If you read Masters of Doom, I think you'll see why.

amp316 said:
Porcupine_I said:
amp316 said:
Porcupine_I said:

Boo!!!

He has newer ones?

There's also Land of the Dead from a few years back, which sucks shit, and Survival of the Dead from last year or so, which isn't terrible.

amp316 said:
Porcupine_I said:
amp316 said:
Porcupine_I said:

Boo!!!

He has newer ones?

let us just pretend it is!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network

...and Diary of the Dead.  Was Land of the Dead the one with Dario Argento's daughter in it?  That one stunk. 

Oh well, I pretend that they don't exist.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:

Was Land of the Dead the one with Dario Argento's daughter in it?  That one stunk. 

Yes it was, and yes it did.

And I agree that Night is the best of them all.

Galaki said:

I don't want him to make me his bitch :(

This. The hate is all about this.

People hate on John Romero because people get to be cocky when they deliver, and he did when he was with Carmack, but when he left to found Ion Storm, he managed to piss off the audience with a lot of mistakes like the delays, the undelivered promises (of course the infamous ad wasn't his fault, but it was his fault not to do something about it, that kind of publicity was like a WWF/WCW wrestler promo back then), it was too much hype for a game that - not counting the technical probelms - looked old next to Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament when it came out... 

But why Romero and Carmack worked? the reason is the same why Lennon and Mccartney worked, because both had talent differences that complemented each other... Romero has cool storylines, a sense of involvement, creativity about the art design, Carmack has the tech brains, he pushes the boundaries of game development and his engines are brilliant... And of course, when they separated, Carmack still could do games with great tech, but they lack the Romero spark (like bringing Trent Reznor to do the Quake soundtrack, that was epic), and Romero had this idea of gaming revolution, but without someone like Carmack, that vision got cut and never was fully realized...

Galaki said:

I don't want him to make me his bitch :(

Bingo. I can only imagine that would be a less-than-pleasant experience.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.