By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people hate on John Romero? O_o

He promised to make me his bitch.  He lied.

=(

Edit:

I was sooo beaten to this joke.

Around the Network

He invented the original "rock star" game developer persona in the wake of his successes with Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and Quake, which more or less defined the FPS as one of the major genres of gaming.

Unfortunately, the rock star persona meant rock star ego, and Romero took it to the degree where he even had the rock star outfits and rock star hair.

Following Daikatana, he really hasn't been involved with anything significant, which is probably the main reason for the hate.

As long as a young developer keeps delivering, eccentric behavior, arrogance, quotable quips to the media, etc., even if just to stay controversial and topical, are generally tolerated, but once you stop delivering yet you insist on keeping the same wunderkind attitude, then you're pretty much just as ass at that point and aren't likely to get a lot of love.

If he delivered another major hit that could be turned into a franchise, I think most of the hate would probably be forgotten, but it does seem as though his most creative days are long behind him.

greenmedic88 said:

He invented the original "rock star" game developer persona in the wake of his successes with Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and Quake, which more or less defined the FPS as one of the major genres of gaming.

Unfortunately, the rock star persona meant rock star ego, and Romero took it to the degree where he even had the rock star outfits and rock star hair.

Following Daikatana, he really hasn't been involved with anything significant, which is probably the main reason for the hate.

As long as a young developer keeps delivering, eccentric behavior, arrogance, quotable quips to the media, etc., even if just to stay controversial and topical, are generally tolerated, but once you stop delivering yet you insist on keeping the same wunderkind attitude, then you're pretty much just as ass at that point and aren't likely to get a lot of love.

If he delivered another major hit that could be turned into a franchise, I think most of the hate would probably be forgotten, but it does seem as though his most creative days are long behind him.

Well, the guy's working on Facebook games now.

because he anachronox ended before the end D:. Like dreamfall!

makingmusic476 said:

Well, the guy's working on Facebook games now.

With some success apparently. Good for him.

Back to my poing on teck: It is apparent from he's failure with Daikatana, that lack of tech is a gamebreaker if you will. That was hugely true for those days when hardware 3D acceleration was in it's infancy. One could argue that not seing that is a failure of management. So in conclusion, "Design is law" is false unless you have solid sufficient tech.

On the other hand, brilliant tech will cary you, even if the design in not.

Around the Network

They split over the ID name Romero wanted to add iot to the name because he would have 3 letters to Carmacks 2 .Carmack said he could live with Romero having one extra  letter but  said Romero's one extra  letter was a lie  because any one seeing the full name would immediately  associate it with Romero.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot