By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Kinect outsell the Balance Board?

Yes very easily

Around the Network

If the next Xbox is Kinect compatible and will be available at launch, it will be very interesting.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Thats quite unlikely. As Kinect needs to bridge the gap but also keep selling more than Wii Fit Board per week.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

The question is will it outsell the PS3?

*About five members will laugh really hard at this joke.* 

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Wii Balance Board will sell at least 40 million units (it has sold 35 million at the moment). Kinect won't reach that mark. So it's an easy answer: no, Kinect won't outsell Wii Balance Board.

"The only thing selling better next xmas is Kinect" -> Next xmas belongs to 3DS, no options here.

Around the Network

I think Kinect might see alot might a price drop to $129 this upcoming holiday season, since M$ has already recouped its development cost for it, and I'm sure is going to get production cost sub $30, if not already there.  The BOM cost of Kinect at launch was $56 (http://eetimes.com/electronics-news/4210649/Kinect-s-BOM-roughly--56--teardown-finds-) so looking at that list, everything is probably going to see a 30% reductions yoy, to include volume reductions.  A third reduction places the potential price at around $99 for retail, but I think M$ will keep prices at $129, and we will see many $99 special on Black Friday and the like.  Kinect will see about 16 million sales this year, which places it at 24 million by year's end.  I think it is possible to get to the balance board, if it has sold 34 million to-date.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Khuutra said:

Given that there is a 7 million unit disparity between Wii Fit Plus and Wii Fit combined versus balance boards, and that Wii Fit Plus is still selling like.... well, like Wii Fit, I would put good money on no.

It would need to close a 26 million unit gap with Wii Fit Plus continuing to sell millions every year. The chances are very slim. Slim enough for me to say "No, definitely not going to happen".

As per usual you reflect my views perfectly, though I would go as far to say, "not a snowballs chance in hell" seeing EMEAA this week and KA is selling just above Wii Fit Plus, basically I was doing some figures and it took over a year for the original Wii Fit to slow down to the rate Kinect is selling now, this kinda makes things clear if you ask me.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Kinect is still pretty expensive and no plus version yet. I expect it to be close as MS plans to bring use Knect for a while. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

You should have made a poll.

No

However, if you allign launches and compare for the duration of active sales, Kinect will probably be higher then the Wii Fit. So if MS pushes Kinect as much as they could, they could sell 40 million Kinects in the next 2.5 years. However the Wii Balance Board will be over 50 million by that point, maybe 60 million it Nintendo makes a Wii Fit Extreme.

Note: It's only been 3 months and it's already sold 8 million, and holding strong sales.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Kinneth is a "hardware cam ...thing" for x'box 360.

This cristmas it come out, and all the (secret) motion lovers, bought one..

Can't see how the momuntum could stay the same..? ps3 and wii owners can't use it, so it has to be among the 50 mill x-box owners...  And the most DON'T LIKE MOTION..

We have to see, but i believe that kinnect in this gen, will mayby reach 20 mill.  (most likely 15 mill)