By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony's Financial Results for Oct-Dec 2010

Over shipping and channel stuffing so how long are guys going to use it? Are you guys going to use it every quarterly forecast from Sony until you guys hit the mark? 

Around the Network
NoCtiS_NoX said:

Over shipping and channel stuffing so how long are guys going to use it? Are you guys going to use it every quarterly forecast from Sony until you guys hit the mark? 

I remember some people calling channel stuffing last quarter, and that it would have an impact on Q3 reports, (i.e ship far less than X360 (because Microsoft has yet to ship their Kinect bundle, Sony already shipped their Move bundle), near 5m or under, same happened with Q1->42 btw), and now that it has shipped 6.3m, it's channel stuffing again and it'll supposedly impact Q4, and if they announce over 2m (or 2.8m as planned) in Q4, it'll be channel stuffing too and it'll for sure impact the Q1 2011 reports and so on. =D

I got the memo. Maybe after 10/15 quarters of channel stuffing excuse, you guys will understand that

1) VGC is not as accurate (at least everywhere) as you guys seems to think (and things are good the way they are, as long as you keep that in mind)

2) channel stuffing is not possible because Sony can't force retailers to buy consoles

3) get over it, Sony performed better than you thought (the guys I'm talking to here will recognize themselves without issues) and No they're not lying, there're too many things at stake for them to lie, but it's getting annoying to explain that over and over again.

I think Sony might have have stuffed a little this quarter. This quarter will be a little lower unless Killzone 3 manages to be a huge system seller.

somewhat off yet related question...

any current news on Sony and the PS3 being releases in China?(I think there was a thread on this awhile back)

landguy1 said:
Baalzamon said:
landguy1 said:

STUFF....STUFFFFFFFF....STUFFFFFFFFFFF!

This is based on my own personal travels, but i travel for a living.  I have been traveling throughout the upper midwest regions of the US.  I like to hit all the local stores for various reasons as I travel.  I have seen very few 360's during the first 3 weeks of January, but have seen that change the last week or so.  But as far as the PS3 goes, STUFFF!!!!  At one Best Buy alone, they had PILES/Stacks of them.  I thought it odd, so i tried to count and they had atleast 150 of them just stacked on the floor.  I could have thought that was an anomoly, but 2 days later at another Best Buy, they had something similar(at least 100 ).  I also went to a local walmart after going to the second Best Buy and they don't put their stock out on the floor.  I was talking to the guy that works in the electronics area and he said they had a massive pallet full in back, and that they had it since before christmas.  This is only a small sample of the number of stores that i went to, but i will tell you that just about all of them were similar.

Again, this isn't everywhere.  Just my own experience.  No, Sony did not lie about their shipped numbers, that's for sure.

andddd I'm calling bull shit.  I've never in my lifetime seen 150 PS3's on the floor of a retailer outside of the holiday season.  You're full of shit.

EDIT: This post has been moderated for flaming. -d1

I am not trying to create a flame war, but the facts are the facts.  I do however agree that it seems that this argument gets played out every January the last few years.  If the channel is this full universally(unknown), i would guess that Sony has some good deals coming real soon through the retailers.  Why else would they proclaim that they expect to ship the amount for their stock guidance.  Or, like I said, this is just a regional anomaly(kind of unlikely but possible).

We will see in about 3-4 weeks...  That's when they aftermath ads hit.  These are the overstock items that all of the retailers get the manufacturers to give them ad dollars and back end sales deals to help push out of the channel.  It is usually a 6 week gap from idea to the actual print ad.  I would guess that by Jan 15th, the writing was on the wall for any item that didn't move fast enough to get this moving...

Like i said, we will see......

actually, the deals have started, I've been seeing a bunch of $50 gift cards and or a free game coming with PS3's lately, so it could have something to do with that.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Around the Network
mantlepiecek said:

I think Sony might have have stuffed a little this quarter. This quarter will be a little lower unless Killzone 3 manages to be a huge system seller.

PS3 sell the same weekly then 360. Meaning that globally speaking, shipped not sold system would tend to be very similar. Unless microsoft arent able to completely fill their orders yet. I think you were joking anyway, but I wanted to say this.

PSP isn't over 70m...that combines production shipments (made systems) with normal shipments (systems sent to stores).

Also, Sony doesn't seem to know how many PS2s it has shipped either!

* Dec 2008 Figures: 136.3m 1.4m 1.6m 1.9m 2.1m 1.7m 1.6m 1.5m 2.1m = 150.2m as of Dec 2010 (each small number is quarterly sales after the LTD total)

June 2009 Figures: 138.8m 1.9m 2.1m 1.7m 1.6m 1.5m 2.1m = 149.7m

Still, PS2 is over 150m shipped as of Jan 2011 - article is up.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Baalzamon said:
landguy1 said:
Baalzamon said:
landguy1 said:

STUFF....STUFFFFFFFF....STUFFFFFFFFFFF!

This is based on my own personal travels, but i travel for a living.  I have been traveling throughout the upper midwest regions of the US.  I like to hit all the local stores for various reasons as I travel.  I have seen very few 360's during the first 3 weeks of January, but have seen that change the last week or so.  But as far as the PS3 goes, STUFFF!!!!  At one Best Buy alone, they had PILES/Stacks of them.  I thought it odd, so i tried to count and they had atleast 150 of them just stacked on the floor.  I could have thought that was an anomoly, but 2 days later at another Best Buy, they had something similar(at least 100 ).  I also went to a local walmart after going to the second Best Buy and they don't put their stock out on the floor.  I was talking to the guy that works in the electronics area and he said they had a massive pallet full in back, and that they had it since before christmas.  This is only a small sample of the number of stores that i went to, but i will tell you that just about all of them were similar.

Again, this isn't everywhere.  Just my own experience.  No, Sony did not lie about their shipped numbers, that's for sure.

andddd I'm calling bull shit.  I've never in my lifetime seen 150 PS3's on the floor of a retailer outside of the holiday season.  You're full of shit.

EDIT: This post has been moderated for flaming. -d1

I am not trying to create a flame war, but the facts are the facts.  I do however agree that it seems that this argument gets played out every January the last few years.  If the channel is this full universally(unknown), i would guess that Sony has some good deals coming real soon through the retailers.  Why else would they proclaim that they expect to ship the amount for their stock guidance.  Or, like I said, this is just a regional anomaly(kind of unlikely but possible).

We will see in about 3-4 weeks...  That's when they aftermath ads hit.  These are the overstock items that all of the retailers get the manufacturers to give them ad dollars and back end sales deals to help push out of the channel.  It is usually a 6 week gap from idea to the actual print ad.  I would guess that by Jan 15th, the writing was on the wall for any item that didn't move fast enough to get this moving...

Like i said, we will see......

actually, the deals have started, I've been seeing a bunch of $50 gift cards and or a free game coming with PS3's lately, so it could have something to do with that.

Yeah, noticed that here in the states, Target has the $50 gift card deal on the PS3...

It is now possible to play backup copies of your favorite PS3 games using a plug and play usb dongle which can be enabled and disabled simply by plugging in the usb device and then taking out to disable playback.

With this usb dongle there is no need to open or even modify your systems software (Apart from loading official firmware 3.41) let get started with the guide

Things to know before you start

-First thing is that you need to be running official PS3 3.41 firmware, you can download the firmware from here ps3-hacks.com/file/87 if you are running a newer version of PS3 software there is no way to downgrade (I believe, I might be wrong)

-The PS3 Break program runs in memory, meaning when you turn off your PS3 and take out the USB then turn on the PS3 there will be no PS3 break software/firmware on your system

-Where can i get a PS3 break device from??

Go to http://www.ps3breakr4.com/revolutionary-ps3-break-v12-all-barriers-dongle-p-1.html

-Is PS3 break easy to install?? Yes, its plug and play

How Do I Install / Use The PS3 Break?

-First thing to do is make sure there are no games in your cd drive.

-Make sure the PS3 is running PS3 official 3.41 firmware

-Power off your PS3 and remove the power cable from the back of the PS3

-Remove all external usb devices including any controllers that might be using the external usb connections

-Insert the PS3 break device in to one of your external USB connections

-Re-connect the power cable at the back of the PS3

-Power on your PS3 and press the eject button a second or so after, You can tell if its worked because your PS3 will beep and a green green light will start to flash on the dongle

-On the PS3 menu go to the games menu and select "Install Package Files" then select "manager.pkg" This will install backup manager for you.

-The backup manager will now appear under the games menu.

-Using the backup manager you can backup your games to either a local hard-drive or an external usb hard-drive

-Once you have backuped your games you can then play them via the games menu.

Make sure you dont remove the PS3 Break usb device when you are playing a game, the game will crash

ps2011 said:

bye

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies