By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony's Financial Results for Oct-Dec 2010

Kynes said:
DarkintheLight said:
Kynes said:
DarkintheLight said:
bannedagain said:
Every xbox that hits the shelf is selling right off the shelf. So how is the number for xbox to high. It's going to be very close, due to the number of xbox selling right away and not sitting on the shelf.

I guess because I don't believe that every 360 in the world is selling right off the shelf, NA maybe but not the whole world, the number is too high 

NA plus UK is 70% of the world for X360. The numbers are not that off as people want to think.

Dude they are high just admit it, they aren't ridiculasly high but they are off by a couple 100k 

I've said not that off, I'm sure that there should have been about 500k-550k units at the channel, but not much more than that. A difference of 200k should not make people as "angry" as some people are.

so if we agree why are we arguing?

Around the Network

LOL! So Kinect 500 million ad campaign didn't change anything to 360's favor? Unbelievable.

I'm not gonna reply to the people that replied to me in this thread because if I did, I would get banned :(

DarkintheLight said:
Kynes said:
DarkintheLight said:
Kynes said:
DarkintheLight said:
bannedagain said:
Every xbox that hits the shelf is selling right off the shelf. So how is the number for xbox to high. It's going to be very close, due to the number of xbox selling right away and not sitting on the shelf.

I guess because I don't believe that every 360 in the world is selling right off the shelf, NA maybe but not the whole world, the number is too high 

NA plus UK is 70% of the world for X360. The numbers are not that off as people want to think.

Dude they are high just admit it, they aren't ridiculasly high but they are off by a couple 100k 

I've said not that off, I'm sure that there should have been about 500k-550k units at the channel, but not much more than that. A difference of 200k should not make people as "angry" as some people are.

so if we agree why are we arguing?

well all knew kinect was HOT. what people forgot to ask was, is it selling hardware? looks like it didnt help much on that front.

Around the Network
psrock said:
MonstaMack said:

Also lately Sony has been throwing in free LBP2 at both Best Buy and Gamestop retailers with purchases of PS3s. They even had Gran Turismo throw in in January. Further proof the channels have been stuffed.

On Microsofts side theres a overshipment of 4GB with Kinects because there has been constant sales of those with giftcards as well.

You people have been yelling stuffing the channels for 3 straight quaters now, yet retailers keep taking more and more. 

This.  Not to mention Sony didn't adjust its forecast for the PS3, which means it will have to sell ~2.8 mil in Jan-Mar quarter to make it.  If Sony is stuffing the channels so much, they would know retailers aren't going to buy many more systems for this quarter.  Why can't people just admit the PS3 isn't as dead as they want it to be?  After a year of yelling overshipped, and knowing how retail works, you would think they would quiet down by now with this poor excuse.

Baalzamon said:
landguy1 said:

STUFF....STUFFFFFFFF....STUFFFFFFFFFFF!

This is based on my own personal travels, but i travel for a living.  I have been traveling throughout the upper midwest regions of the US.  I like to hit all the local stores for various reasons as I travel.  I have seen very few 360's during the first 3 weeks of January, but have seen that change the last week or so.  But as far as the PS3 goes, STUFFF!!!!  At one Best Buy alone, they had PILES/Stacks of them.  I thought it odd, so i tried to count and they had atleast 150 of them just stacked on the floor.  I could have thought that was an anomoly, but 2 days later at another Best Buy, they had something similar(at least 100 ).  I also went to a local walmart after going to the second Best Buy and they don't put their stock out on the floor.  I was talking to the guy that works in the electronics area and he said they had a massive pallet full in back, and that they had it since before christmas.  This is only a small sample of the number of stores that i went to, but i will tell you that just about all of them were similar.

Again, this isn't everywhere.  Just my own experience.  No, Sony did not lie about their shipped numbers, that's for sure.

andddd I'm calling bull shit.  I've never in my lifetime seen 150 PS3's on the floor of a retailer outside of the holiday season.  You're full of shit.

EDIT: This post has been moderated for flaming. -d1

I am not trying to create a flame war, but the facts are the facts.  I do however agree that it seems that this argument gets played out every January the last few years.  If the channel is this full universally(unknown), i would guess that Sony has some good deals coming real soon through the retailers.  Why else would they proclaim that they expect to ship the amount for their stock guidance.  Or, like I said, this is just a regional anomaly(kind of unlikely but possible).

We will see in about 3-4 weeks...  That's when they aftermath ads hit.  These are the overstock items that all of the retailers get the manufacturers to give them ad dollars and back end sales deals to help push out of the channel.  It is usually a 6 week gap from idea to the actual print ad.  I would guess that by Jan 15th, the writing was on the wall for any item that didn't move fast enough to get this moving...

Like i said, we will see......

Carl2291 said:

I might have missed this in this thread... But the PSP just passed 70 Million units shipped. That is fantastic.

And... As an added bonus.

PS1, PS2 and PS3 have now surpassed 300 Million units combined. Sony have broke the 300 Million barrier with Home consoles only. With PSP it's (obviously) at 370 Million.

In Home Consoles, PlayStation won the Year... Selling over 20 Million Consoles. (With handhelds it's a totally different picture)

Since PS3 Slim released, the PS3 has outsold the 360 by almost 5 Million units too. I think?

This has been an excellent Year for Sony.

well....

I know at one point, the 360-PS3 World Wide hardware gap was about 8 million....

that was just before the PS3 slim released in August 2009

so in about 1 and 1/2 year, the PS3 shrank that gap to roughly 4 million....

that's pretty damn impressive to me....

the PS3 doesn't really need a price cut, because PS3 hardware is pretty strong in EMEAA

the 360 is really strong in the U.S, while the PS3 has the EMEAA and Japan, which will cancell out the Americas out, so the 360 and PS3 will be roughly tied in worldwide weekly sales for the near future, so maybe MS and Sony will keep the status quo

at any rate, if the price cuts come for the 360 and PS3, I think the PS3 will sell more hardware at $249 than the 360 will sell at $249....

MS has had the $199  360 model for a long time, and of course maybe only 25% or so are sales of the $199 model, but still.... $199 is still $199

(btw, I still have the 'core' model (as it was called at the time) without the hard drive that I bought in January 2006 for $299)

When you think about it, the PS3 has never been $249, so I highly suspect, the drop to $249 will benefit the PS3 more than the 360

The gap didn't even widen by 100,000 since october. You would think that with all the NPD reports and MS announcements the gap wouldve been widened back to 5 million, but it isn't.  They were talking about North America as if it was the 2nd coming of Jesus.

But globally the gap is still 3 million, thats awful for 360: Kinect 500million$ ad campaign Halo Reach Slim model... didn't change anything.

360 sold in 4 years: 38.8 million

PS3 sold in 4 years NA, 3.5 years in Europe: 47.9 million

PS3 sold almost 9 million more in the same time period. Ouch.

Turkish said:

The gap didn't even widen by 100,000 since october. You would think that with all the NPD reports and MS announcements the gap wouldve been widened back to 5 million, but it isn't.  They were talking about North America as if it was the 2nd coming of Jesus.

But globally the gap is still 3 million, thats awful for 360: Kinect 500million$ ad campaign Halo Reach Slim model... didn't change anything.

360 sold in 4 years: 38.8 million

PS3 sold in 4 years NA, 3.5 years in Europe: 47.9 million

PS3 sold almost 9 million more in the same time period. Ouch.

wo man,after long time,someone use this point again

and well,if 500m/reach/S model didn't change anything,you must not reply this thread because PS3 must already overshipped 360

just check back MS results next time,okay?