By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony's Financial Results for Oct-Dec 2010

Also lately Sony has been throwing in free LBP2 at both Best Buy and Gamestop retailers with purchases of PS3s. They even had Gran Turismo throw in in January. Further proof the channels have been stuffed.

On Microsofts side theres a overshipment of 4GB with Kinects because there has been constant sales of those with giftcards as well.

It's just that simple.

Around the Network
MonstaMack said:

Also lately Sony has been throwing in free LBP2 at both Best Buy and Gamestop retailers with purchases of PS3s. They even had Gran Turismo throw in in January. Further proof the channels have been stuffed.

On Microsofts side theres a overshipment of 4GB with Kinects because there has been constant sales of those with giftcards as well.

You people have been yelling stuffing the channels for 3 straight quaters now, yet retailers keep taking more and more. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
landguy1 said:

STUFF....STUFFFFFFFF....STUFFFFFFFFFFF!

This is based on my own personal travels, but i travel for a living.  I have been traveling throughout the upper midwest regions of the US.  I like to hit all the local stores for various reasons as I travel.  I have seen very few 360's during the first 3 weeks of January, but have seen that change the last week or so.  But as far as the PS3 goes, STUFFF!!!!  At one Best Buy alone, they had PILES/Stacks of them.  I thought it odd, so i tried to count and they had atleast 150 of them just stacked on the floor.  I could have thought that was an anomoly, but 2 days later at another Best Buy, they had something similar(at least 100 ).  I also went to a local walmart after going to the second Best Buy and they don't put their stock out on the floor.  I was talking to the guy that works in the electronics area and he said they had a massive pallet full in back, and that they had it since before christmas.  This is only a small sample of the number of stores that i went to, but i will tell you that just about all of them were similar.

Again, this isn't everywhere.  Just my own experience.  No, Sony did not lie about their shipped numbers, that's for sure.

andddd I'm calling bull shit.  I've never in my lifetime seen 150 PS3's on the floor of a retailer outside of the holiday season.  You're full of shit.

EDIT: This post has been moderated for flaming. -d1

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Well those numbers should put a damper on any near term price cut.  A $50 price would have more than cut the profit in half.

psrock said:

You people have been yelling stuffing the channels for 3 straight quaters now, yet retailers keep taking more and more. 

What do you mean YOU people?

It's just that simple.

Around the Network
MonstaMack said:
psrock said:

MonstaMack said:
psrock said:

All 5 360 fans on this site.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Just saw a good point on the neoGAF thread:  How much of that $564 million in operating income can be attributed to just ONE game?

GT5.  Almost 5 million copies at around $60 a pop?  That's almost $300 million in sales.  MS gets the same during Halo quarters (which this was not for MS, btw).

Say what you will, but GT5 saved the NPS from having a modest profit to a surprisingly good one.

Darth Tigris said:

Just saw a good point on the neoGAF thread:  How much of that $564 million in operating income can be attributed to just ONE game?

GT5.  Almost 5 million copies at around $60 a pop?  That's almost $300 million in sales.  MS gets the same during Halo quarters (which this was not for MS, btw).

Say what you will, but GT5 saved the NPS from having a modest profit to a surprisingly good one.

I seriously hope that you aren't equating $300 million in sales to $300 million in profits, are you?  Sony does not profit $60 per game of GT5 sold.  Even if they were selling the game to stores for as high as $50, which I really do doubt, not all of that money is pure profit.  There are expenses involved including production costs, shipping costs, advertising costs.  As for development costs, I'm not quite sure how a company has to realize expenses for an item that isn't yet released, but a majority of these costs were likely in a different quarter.  You also have costs for maintaining the game, such as updates, and online servers must have at least some sort of cost associated with them.

Depending on how exactly the development costs have to be realized, lets just assume they are making $20 per copy of the game sold.  That would be $100 million in operating income this quarter for that game.  $464 million would have still looked very good for the gaming division for Sony.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

psrock said:
MonstaMack said:
psrock said:

All 5 360 fans on this site.

I own a PSP to and Wii to.

It's just that simple.