By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Be Honest Did you really buy a 599$ system just to install linux?..

PullusPardus said:

.... knowing that you can download a better linux OS on your laptop/desktop that is going to run better and wont cost you a dime and also going to operate like its supposed to operate.

And also another honest question that needs an honest answer how was it really "An advertized feature" on the PS3 when the console itself didn't have any advertisment other than the half assed "PLAY BEYOND!" crap, that doesn't make sense.

why can't you just get out of the closet and admit that you want pirated games like dsolitude  does, really its not that hard.

#There goes my hero#

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network

i bought the 60gb ps3 with B/C b/c it was priced cut in summer of 07 to $499 and GS offered an extra 1$00 off that if you gave them a ps2 so i thought it was a good deal since i wont be needing my ps2 anyway, i also heard ps2 B/C would be gone so i thought now was the time

i have my own way of playing games and not paying for them so i dont really care for all that crap and this new hack, ive been doing it since 07

Play Me

BHR-3 said:

i bought the 60gb ps3 with B/C b/c it was priced cut in summer of 07 to $499 and GS offered an extra 1$00 off that if you gave them a ps2 so i thought it was a good deal since i wont be needing my ps2 anyway, i also heard ps2 B/C would be gone so i thought now was the time

i have my own way of playing games and not paying for them so i dont really care for all that crap and this new hack, ive been doing it since 07

Review copies?

4. THEY TOOK MY LINUX, I WANT IT BACk

5. So what if the PS3 gets pirated? Their fault for taking away Linux

Well if you noticed the timeline. Hackers had no attentions on hacking the PS3 until Sony pulled the Linux move. Once that happen it became their mission to hack and crack it! In the end paying any price for a ability, and then taking it away. With no refund or at least something that pays respect to the consumer. Is a big F U to that consumer! If Nintendo all of sudden did a update that made the Wii not play Gamecube games. People would be upset, and have a right too. So like I said to Sony this entire generation! They have gotten what they deserve. Last place, and now a fully hacked system! Now I have a reason to buy a PS3! Free Games!!!!!!

Just because someone is saying something different. Doesn't mean their point of view is right!

Member Of The Wii Squad: Warriors of Light!

One of the 4 Yonkou of Youtube aka Wii Warlords. Other Members include ThaBlackBaron, Shokio, and Cardy.

TheWon said:

Well if you noticed the timeline. Hackers had no attentions on hacking the PS3 until Sony pulled the Linux move. Once that happen it became their mission to hack and crack it! In the end paying any price for a ability, and then taking it away. With no refund or at least something that pays respect to the consumer. Is a big F U to that consumer! If Nintendo all of sudden did a update that made the Wii not play Gamecube games. People would be upset, and have a right too. So like I said to Sony this entire generation! They have gotten what they deserve. Last place, and now a fully hacked system! Now I have a reason to buy a PS3! Free Games!!!!!!

the hackers act as if they are a wounded animal, matter of fact remains, they drew first blood. What were you and they expecting Sony to do sit down and take it? If Geohot's hack had gone mainstream, it would have lead to the ps3 being hacked, removing the other OS delayed the inevitable, we all know this- why people pretend this was not the fact is beyond me.

Are you trying to tell me once Geohot released his hack, everyone would give him a round of applause and then move on? BS on a stick right there.

The only "FU" was from the hackers to honest Other OS users, their shit got taken away because a few bad apples didn't know how to play nicely.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Around the Network
Ajescent said:
TheWon said:

the hackers act as if they are a wounded animal, matter of fact remains, they drew first blood. What were you and they expecting Sony to do sit down and take it? If Geohot's hack had gone mainstream, it would have lead to the ps3 being hacked, removing the other OS delayed the inevitable, we all know this- why people pretend this was not the fact is beyond me.

Are you trying to tell me once Geohot released his hack, everyone would give him a round of applause and then move on? BS on a stick right there.

The only "FU" was from the hackers to honest Other OS users, their shit got taken away because a few bad apples didn't know how to play nicely.

and now I highly doubt the next gen playstation will even get the option, and that's what worries me.

I paid $499....so you were wrong! 

Ajescent said:

-Lots of Text-

to put it simply....

Hackers Gonna Hack.

PullusPardus said:

Ajescent said:

-Lots of Text-

to put it simply....

Hackers Gonna Hack.

haha win

Ajescent said:
TheWon said:

Apparently , the hackers were focusing on the other OS feature to hack the ps3 the entire time with little or no attempt on the actual game os. The other os would have eventually been hacked but not this quickly which is evident because the game os "had" one of the weakest security system in any recent gaming machine.

@bolded

That is one of the most naive posts I've ever seen. There will ALWAYS be hackers for and piece of hardware/software ,NO EXCEPTIONS. Its Sony's responsibility to have a security system to ward off these hackers for as long as possible , it was irresponsible of them to take a feature from the PS3 in the middle of its lifecycle because they didnt have the foresight to see potential security holes in the feature(which had few to begin with). 

(And to answer the question you are thinking....no I dont give two shits about the other OS feature.....I see no need for it....but clearly the hackers did with them holding off piracy themselves as of right now.....its a matter of principle to them and I say good on them.)

A hackers main goal(or one goal I should say) is to be recognized , recognized enough to be picked up by a large hardware/software company and be a part of their security team......which geohat or any of the hackers will eventually be. 

This situation is irony at its best really.....

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!