By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Be Honest Did you really buy a 599$ system just to install linux?..

1. Sony release a PS3 with deeply flawed security.

2. Linux gave the people who *could* hack the system no reason to try to target it as a main priority.

3. Sony removes Linux.

4. PS3 gets hacked.

5. PS3 gets Linux support but that opens up the floodgates to other things.

So yes, Linux was actually the key link in the security system and the kind of people who are smart enough to play with Linux and program for the Cell processor are the kind of people who are able to hack the PS3. So even if it was only 0.1% of the population, that was a very important 0.1% of the population.

Tease.

Around the Network

The retards on this thread are hilarious.

Sony removed the linux feature, big deal, its still the most feature-rich console on the market.

The crying is mostly coming from people who don't even like the PS3 in the first place lmao. Just goes to show how much a normal person even cares about linux.

You know what? I use linux as a primary OS on my three year old PC. It runs approximately 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times better than any linux on the PS3. Only a retard would run a linux on a PS3 when he has an option to do it somewhere else.

I honestly don't even know why linux was included in the first place. Was it an important feature? No.

Deal with it, its like crying about how Sony removed a web browser on your PS3(if they ever did that), ONLY a retard would do that.

Tigerlure said:

Well, since you already posted the topic, I'll go ahead and make a list of excuses for people justifying the cracking of the PS3

1. I bought it, I can do whatever I please with it

2. Homebrew is awesome, and makes it worth it

3. Piracy isn't as bad as you guys make it seem

4. THEY TOOK MY LINUX, I WANT IT BACk

5. So what if the PS3 gets pirated? Their fault for taking away Linux

Those seem to be the top reasons I've spotted on some forums, feel free to add your own. Note that I don't support any single one of those reasons.

i dont currently have a PS3 but how about they violated EU law (and some states laws) by removing it, and while the courts sort it out we are geting our features back, and jailbreaking is legal to do on ones own device (but not for others or comercial gain) in the states, per update to the dmca and fair use doctorin, last year

edit, do buy all of my game, most new. also rooted my droid X ,  dont use rom emulators

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

mantlepiecek said:

You know what? I use linux as a primary OS on my three year old PC. It runs approximately 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times better than any linux on the PS3.

its true.