By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Be Honest Did you really buy a 599$ system just to install linux?..

.... knowing that you can download a better linux OS on your laptop/desktop that is going to run better and wont cost you a dime and also going to operate like its supposed to operate.

And also another honest question that needs an honest answer how was it really "An advertized feature" on the PS3 when the console itself didn't have any advertisment other than the half assed "PLAY BEYOND!" crap, that doesn't make sense.

why can't you just get out of the closet and admit that you want pirated games like dsolitude  does, really its not that hard.

Around the Network

i bought it so i could play games. i found out what linux was a couple of months ago.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

I was hoping to take my PS after I die in the future....that's what I thought from PLAY BEYOND! :( Sony destroyed that dream

:P Great thread btw

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:

I was hoping to take my PS after I die in the future....that's what I thought from PLAY BEYOND! :( Sony destroyed that dream

Play Beyond your grave .... hmm that explains all the zombie games >_>

People didn't buy it for linux, they just like complaining about things, as has always been the case, because they know perfectly well that they can just download it on their computer.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Around the Network

I didn't, I bought it because it was a PlayStation product and Sony hasn't steered me wrong yet.

We all know that pirated games are now on the horizon. Everytime someone hacks a system to do some additional features, it leads to stolen games. Everytime.

Well, since you already posted the topic, I'll go ahead and make a list of excuses for people justifying the cracking of the PS3

1. I bought it, I can do whatever I please with it

2. Homebrew is awesome, and makes it worth it

3. Piracy isn't as bad as you guys make it seem

4. THEY TOOK MY LINUX, I WANT IT BACk

5. So what if the PS3 gets pirated? Their fault for taking away Linux

Those seem to be the top reasons I've spotted on some forums, feel free to add your own. Note that I don't support any single one of those reasons.

it was bought to play games, installing linux was last on my mind, althoug i did make a thread on here about a year a go asking if anyone had, and everyone was saying how it was a waste of time...

I bought it mostly for the games, but I'd be lying if I said Linux wasn't an important factor.

When I had Ubuntu on my PS3, it was a more complete multimedia solution. Gaming, DVDs, Netflix, and Blu Ray plus Linux is a complete solution. I was going to have the PS3 hooked up either way, and Linux has far greater networking and media playback capabilities. Further, I had much better browser than what comes with the system, an office suite, basic photo and video editing programs, wireless printing, etc, etc, etc.

Sure, I already have Linux running on a few computers around the house. But PS3 is already an essential part of my home theater system, and not having to have an extra device in an already crowded space was a huge plus for me.

I already had a PS3, Wii, 360 HD-DVD Drive, receiver, and cable box hooked up to my TV and now I have damned extra media PC hooked up alongside them.

---------------
The Board is the best site on the Internet.

M.U.G.E.N said:

it doesn't work like that! it's supposed to serve as tombstone!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’