By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Buying used/Renting games = Piracy

:P

Well... they are the same for the Developer/Publisher.

Piracy

Some dude buys a game, the Developer/Publisher gets money from that sale. This dude then makes a copy of the game, uploads the game to the internet and hundreds/thousands/millions of other dudes get the game by downloading it from the internet.

Result:

The Developer/Publisher doesn't get anything from those hundreds/thousands/millions who downloaded the game.

Buying used

Someone buys a game, the Developer/Publisher gets money from that sale. This person gets tired of the game, goes to Gamestop or whatever and trades his game in. Someone else buys that used copy of the game, gets tired of the game and trades it in again... repeat this process unknown times :P.

Result:

The Developer/Publisher doesn't get anything from those who bought the game used.

Renting games

Well, you know... someone goes to a store, rents a game, plays the game, returns it to the store.

Result:

The Developer/Publisher doesn't get anything from those who rented the game.

Overall:

Someone gets a game but the Developer/Publisher doesn't get anything from that someone :P

Now... if you're going to buy used or rent a game... why don't you just pirate the game? :P I mean... the Developer and Publisher won't get anything unless you buy new. The only difference is that you'll have to spend money if you buy used or rent a game and you'll also make Gamestop or whatever store very happy with your money :P You'll also get a legit copy of the game if you buy it used... too bad the Developer and Publisher didn't get anything from that "sale"... if you pirated it it would've been the same for them.

Remember, this is "Buying used/Renting games = Piracy" in the sense that the Developer and Publisher won't get money in any of those situations.

What do you think?

P.S: Sorry if I can't stop using ":P", lol.

A banner stolen from some site xD

Release Final Fantasy Versus XIII nowwwwwwwwww!!! lol :P

Around the Network

you make an valid point 

but when you by used or renting at least you are paying someone who money may run full circle and fix the pot hole down the road. 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

I agree that big chains like Gamestop selling hundreds of used games is bad for developers (not nearly as bad as piracy, but still bad). However, selling a game you don't want anymore to someone who wants the game (ie. without chains like Gamestop as middleman) is completely justified, as you'll get some of your money back which can be used to purchase new games. When pirating, there is no money involved to spend on new games at all.

In the end, games worth keeping are the best selling games for a reason: they won't be traded in as much. I have never ever seen used copies of Super Smash Bros, Halo or Mario Kart at my local game shops, because they seldomly get traded in.

When buying used or renting, you give your money to a local, that local pays taxes, pays services and even pays employees! Plus, this way, the renting place will have money, and will keep buying games to rent them. With the money people get from selling used games, they can buy new games.

By your logic, I should not buy used cars, I should buy stolen cars.

Damn so I guess that means I pirated my car  

How will I ever live with myself now!

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:

Damn so I guess that means I pirated my car  

How will I ever live with myself now!

You are so evil!

EVIL!!!

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

This nonsense again?

Laurel Aitken said:

When buying used or renting, you give your money to a local, that local pays taxes, pays services and even pays employees! Plus, this way, the renting place will have money, and will keep buying games to rent them. With the money people get from selling used games, they can buy new games.

By your logic, I should not buy used cars, I should buy stolen cars.

By my logic, you should either buy a new car, or steal the car yourself, lol xD

So... that way the renting place will have money to keep hurting possible sales of the games? and they will also have the money to pay taxes, services and it's employees with the money they "stole" from the Developer/Publisher?

I'm kidding xD

Chrizum said:

I agree that big chains like Gamestop selling hundreds used games is bad for developers (not nearly as bad as piracy, but still bad). However, selling a game you don't want anymore to someone who wants the game (ie. without chains like Gamestop as middleman) is completely justified, as you'll get some of your money back which can be used to purchase new games. When pirating, there is no money involved to spend on new games at all.

In the end, games worth keeping are the best selling games for a reason: they won't be traded in as much. I have never ever seen used copies of Super Smash Bros, Halo or Mario Kart at my local game shops, because they seldomly get traded in.

When pirating, you could also save the money you would have spent on used games and use that money to buy a NEW game :P it's not like pirating's good though, lol.

I kind of agree with the other stuff you said. Too bad this thing also hurts good games like Nier or Vanquish.

A banner stolen from some site xD

Release Final Fantasy Versus XIII nowwwwwwwwww!!! lol :P

The timeless "Buying Used is a form of Piracy" bandwagon rolls back into town.

I buy used if I can wait a few months before playing the game.

Stuff that really grabs me I buy new.

Result : I support the developers that make games I really like !

The developers I'm not bothered about get supported by their fanbase.

Anyone who makes games few people like, twist in the wind and eventually die.

Evil and nasty used games!

Above: still the best game of the year.