By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Buying used/Renting games = Piracy

What about games that have long been out of print? should developers still recieve money for games that they stopped producing/supporting?

Around the Network
Wagram said:
I tend to only buy games used when they are discontinued by the manufacturer. I want to support devs as much as possible but I am not paying some guy $100+ for a new copy of a game on eBay. Though all the used games I buy are mint anyways.

Barring the vendors who are actual retailers who sell on Ebay, when you buy something from someone, it's for all intents and purposes a "used" sale, even if the game is new in shrinkwrap, whether out of print or a new release.

Sometimes the only way to get a game is used (to include paying someone far over original retail for an old out of print game that was never opened). That's one of the best things about DD; games with any demand should never be unavailable. 

Extremely good point. However renting games is a gray area, beacuse the rental store has to buy the games that they rent out. So the studio makes money on the original sale of the same. With used games all of the sales go to the retailer. I generally buy games new only or pirate stuff i cant get in stores or region locked games.

I Hate the fact that all these pillows are contaminated by retard!!

greenmedic88 said:
Wagram said:
I tend to only buy games used when they are discontinued by the manufacturer. I want to support devs as much as possible but I am not paying some guy $100+ for a new copy of a game on eBay. Though all the used games I buy are mint anyways.

Barring the vendors who are actual retailers who sell on Ebay, when you buy something from someone, it's for all intents and purposes a "used" sale, even if the game is new in shrinkwrap, whether out of print or a new release.

Sometimes the only way to get a game is used (to include paying someone far over original retail for an old out of print game that was never opened). That's one of the best things about DD; games with any demand should never be unavailable. 

I second that. If people pirate old or rare games on emulators, it's the publishers fault. Pre DS/Wii Ware, if you wanted to play Chrono Trigger, you had to either pay $1,000 for a good copy of the game, or play on emulator. Honestly, if a good considition copy is going for that much....the publisher is clearly at fault for any illegal exchanges.

If you cut off the food supply to the community, or raise the price to unreasonable levels, it's only a matter of time before people learn to farm. Easpecially when seeds are in excess.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

I am an economic major in my last semester and this is my point of view.

People that argue buying used game help employment seem to forget that the money being saved up from piracy usually only ends up in two places: 1.) Banks. 2.) Consumption in other products. Regarding to the first point, those that knows a bit of economics should know the positive economic effects of having higher national saving when more money are put into a bank. Now the second point, it is rare for people to stack their money at home, so the money that are not being saved up naturally goes into more consumption. These consumption might not be video game market related, but the money circulation in the overall economy should be the same.

For example, in one economy where used game market thrives, you have a profit of say $500M. However, in another economy where piracy thrives, these $500M profit are merely divided into other markets like food, gas, and clothing etc. Therefore, it is weak to argue that used game market help employment and piracy hurts it when they should overall have the same economic impact, since money can only be used in saving or consumption.

Now the case may be different if the money were mostly spent on import than local consumption because import is in effect, giving money to other nations; however, one could also argue that import helps our own specialization in production. More data and statistics are needed for this argument.

Piracy is not the only blame for the loss of jobs, there are many of other contributing factors. While it is true that piracy hurts the developers and particular market. But the overall economic effect of piracy, as i would argue, should not change since the extra money kept from piracy would be used in consumption in other markets. Unless these consumption are mostly imports that is.

Around the Network

I honestly can't equate piracy to game rentals, partially because of how I grew up renting games every weekend. It's the only reason I was able to beat games like Secret of Mana, Earthbound, and Final Fantasy III (VI) back in the days considering how poor my family was. I can understand the viewpoint of developers for used games, but that doesn't stop me from buying that 10 year old game because I can't find it anywhere new.

I'm the result of someone exclusively playing Final Fantasy XI from the PS2 release till 2010, and only stopping for small bouts of catch up. 

3DS Friend Code: Tate - Uh.. stuff happened... I need to get a new 3DS 

Switch FC: SW-3272-7705-6029

If you add me, please let me know so I can add you back. =D

FFXI Character: Formally Tatewaki of Cerberus, Now Arngrim Of Sylph.  Retired forever. ; ;

FFXIV Character: Tate Raken of Hyperion

All time favorite game: Chrono Trigger. 

All time favorite Manga: One piece... Followed by Ranma 1/2.